[SOLVED]Start Menu Not Perfect 18.3 Cinnamon

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED]Start Menu Not Perfect 18.3 Cinnamon

Post by Ozo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:44 pm

In Themes/Desktop, Mint-Y-Dark, the start menu is shown as Dark and narrow compared to the others. In action the Mint-Y-Dark is not stable. Sometimes the menu is dark sometimes not and it is never narrow even when not double scale. Also, the top (Search Bar) is nearly off screen (Double Scale).
Linux1.png
Last edited by Ozo on Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Start Screen Not Perfect

Post by Moem » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:48 pm

It looks to me like you're talking about the menu? Calling it 'start screen' might confuse people.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Menu Not Perfect 18.3 Cinnamon

Post by Ozo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:51 pm

Thank you Moem. Edit complete. :)

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:07 pm

I wonder, what resolution the desktop has. Appears rather small in the screenshot.

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ozo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:05 pm

1920 X 1080 on a 40" screen which I operate from across the room. I have the display scaled at "Double" and the panel height at maximum. Fonts are default.
EDIT: The browser window is not full size and the desktop has a very dark background so looks odd in the screenshot. Note the Atlanta themed browser window border controls which are very easy to see/operate from the recliner.

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ozo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:58 pm

I see that most of those menu themes produce a little smaller menu in which the search window is visible. Too bad the dark one I wanted does not work for me very well but there are other dark themes. I am going with the one below.
Note: The menu is much clearer than the screenshot shows it.
Linux Menu.jpg

Mick-Cork
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mick-Cork » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:45 pm

Whilst you're trying to solve this I wonder whether the Cinnamenu applet would be useful. I'm using it in place of the default menu on LM Cinnamon 18.3 and haven't had any problems. I initially installed it under 18.2 and it did give a warning during install (that I was aware of in advance) but successful anyway.

It allows two display options - list or icon, and you can specify the height, and number of columns in icon view.

Here's a screenshot using icon view... Image

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:54 am

I'm sorry but there is nothing wrong with the theme here. You are running a 1080p screen at double res. That means only 540px high. Thats well below the minimum system requirement. That being said you can fix it. What's causing the height in your menu currently is the number of categories (the center column). Removing a couple of them will reduce the height needed by the menu.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ozo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:27 am

JosephM wrote:I'm sorry but there is nothing wrong with the theme here. You are running a 1080p screen at double res. That means only 540px high. Thats well below the minimum system requirement. That being said you can fix it. What's causing the height in your menu currently is the number of categories (the center column). Removing a couple of them will reduce the height needed by the menu.
Sounds quite simple but I do no know how to do that, yet. Working on it .....

Working on the aplet too ...

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

SOLVED Re: Menu Not Perfect 18.3 Cinnamon

Post by Ozo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:48 am

Ozo wrote:
JosephM wrote:I'm sorry but there is nothing wrong with the theme here. You are running a 1080p screen at double res. That means only 540px high. Thats well below the minimum system requirement. That being said you can fix it. What's causing the height in your menu currently is the number of categories (the center column). Removing a couple of them will reduce the height needed by the menu.
Sounds quite simple but I do no know how to do that, yet. Working on it .....

Working on the aplet too ...
EDIT: JosephM that nailed it. I went overboard and removed everything I could; I will look at the aplet now... I turn everything off and then turn it back on and the menu is then correct.
Mint-Y-Dark.jpg
Last edited by Ozo on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ozo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:57 pm

Mick-Cork wrote:Whilst you're trying to solve this I wonder whether the Cinnamenu applet would be useful. I'm using it in place of the default menu on LM Cinnamon 18.3 and haven't had any problems. I initially installed it under 18.2 and it did give a warning during install (that I was aware of in advance) but successful anyway.

It allows two display options - list or icon, and you can specify the height, and number of columns in icon view.

Here's a screenshot using icon view... Image
It is a great menu option :D

Note the second Menu button on the panel and also the Search window at bottom right.
Applet.png
Changed the Menu icon with a jpg image of a neon M.
M.jpeg
M.jpeg (9.6 KiB) Viewed 1026 times

Here is the latest effort with the default menu removed and Cinnamenu is in its place. Not extreme black but ok. Again; sorry for the fuzzy photo but I did not use a photo host. Note the neon M has a frame which came along with the photo. EDIT: that seems to be the default Menu background when hovered over.
Cinnamenu.png
Last edited by Ozo on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] ; Start Menu Not Perfect 18.3 Cinnamon

Post by Ozo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:23 pm

Don't get me wrong, I like the light version too. Especially the Mint-Y hybrid. Note that the cursor (unseen) was hovering over the power symbol so you can see that dialog box.

Hey, I know some very sophisticated, exotic even, desktop/ menu can be downloaded from sites like Deviant Art and others but these desktop/menus are pretty much the default and yet are very pleasing. :)
Mint-Y.jpg
Mint-Y.jpg (59.01 KiB) Viewed 914 times

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] ; Start Menu Not Perfect 18.3 Cinnamon

Post by Ozo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:42 pm

After using Cinnamenu a short while and going back to the default menu, I have decided I like the default best especially since the size now is correct (not off the screen) and the dark black color is there when the browser is on the desktop although it is merely grey otherwise. The size has been correct ever since I installed Cinnamon 18.3 this time. :D
Black Menu.jpg
Black Menu.jpg (51.16 KiB) Viewed 879 times

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Start Menu Not Perfect 18.3 Cinnamon

Post by Ozo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:22 pm

I finally found the repository of menu's. In Settings/Appearance/Themes/Add/Remove are nearly 100 custom menu's. One of these is Eleganse-dark and it has a very dark color and it is stable in that it never is grey. The photo below does not do it justice. There is some opacity you can not see. EDIT: One of those custom menu's is a really nice light theme called Void (below). Note that split panel and the 3-D menu. The active items are displayed in the formerly open part of the panel.
Eleganse-dark.png
Eleganse-dark.png (171.63 KiB) Viewed 862 times
Void.png
Void.png (145.99 KiB) Viewed 828 times

I changed the menu icon again. It is now a neon START sign. It is below; right click and save it if you want that for your panel. It is conveniently a nice mint color.
Start4.jpeg
Start4.jpeg (12.51 KiB) Viewed 823 times
Last edited by Ozo on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Start Menu Not Perfect 18.3 Cinnamon

Post by Ozo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:35 pm

Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3 has all these custom menu's readily available almost right out of the box. Here is another I am kinda fond of. Of course the background photos are my own addition. Nearly all of the photos are from Wallhaven,.com for free. They have thousands.
Graphite-Zero.png
Graphite-Zero.png (118.27 KiB) Viewed 826 times

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”