Anyone done this Firmware Kernel update ?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Anyone done this Firmware Kernel update ?

Post by Pepi »

Just looks scary to me :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Anyone done this Firmware Kernal update ?

Post by mr_raider »

Should be fine. It doesn't actually upgrade teh kernel.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

No Problem 8) What a great OS Linux 18.3 is 8)
mwbworld

Post by mwbworld »

It worked for me. It took a while but seems like all is well.
minitux

Post by minitux »

Yes , I have all level marked and for now nothing is broken, and I have also upgrade from 18.2 cinnamon with GNOME session and XFCE session installed, now I have installed also the mate session and all work properly
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Anyone done this Firmware Kernel update ?

Post by karlchen »

Code: Select all

karl@voyager ~ $ inxi -S; apt-cache policy linux-firmware
System:    Host: voyager Kernel: 4.4.0-101-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
linux-firmware:
  Installed: 1.157.14
  Candidate: 1.157.14
Should answer the question. And I am still alive after rebooting the machine. :wink:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

karlchen wrote:And I am still alive after rebooting the machine. :wink:
Are you sure? Könnte auch der Erlkönig sein. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Dead sure. :)
This, too, is why I have not replied in this thread, level 5 Firmware update, yet: reboot is still pending on Mint 17.x.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

It's a security update . . . I'd be scared not to update it. Updated it yesterday and my computer hasn't exploded yet. :)
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Updated my desktop and laptop. No problems!
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I've got four computers (2 desktop towers, 2 laptops). I do not install Lever 4 or 5 updates. I'm not a power user and if these security or firmware updates break something, I will not know how to fix it since fixing things in linux involves the command line terminal and I do not know the commands when using the terminal. I have to do lots of research. But I am biased against the terminal. Since I started with Mint 14 in December of 2012, I've had to use the terminal four times and I didn't enjoy the experience of the terminal on any of those four occasions. Speaking just for myself, when things are going well, I don't tempt fate. I only install Level 1, 2 and 3 updates. And I've been doing this since I came over from Windows 7 and started with Mint 14.

If I do get into trouble and can't fix something and neither can anybody else solve my problem; I'll just reload Mint, install all of my preferred programs, configure them, restore my bookmarks, extensions, pictures & settings and in 2 hours and 15 minutes of time, I'll be back in business where I was and I won't make the same mistake twice if I should come upon the security or firmware update which originally caused the problem in the first place. That particular update will be permanently relegated to "Ignore" on that computer and also on my other three computers. When I install updates, the experimental laptop gets those first and I use this laptop for 3 days and if things work well, then I install the updates for my other three computers. So far, I've had only one glitch with a Level 3 update which I couldn't fix myself using the terminal and Karlchen helped me fix the problem via the terminal.

Also; sometime around Christmas, New Years or the first week in January, Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce will be publicly released and I'll load that on my experimental laptop and take it for a test drive for one week. If things work well without any problems, then I'll put Mint 18.3 on my other three computers. When June or July of 2018 comes along, Mint 19 (Sylvia) will be released and I'll install the Xfce version on my experimental laptop and repeat the same thing I did with Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce.

So with multiple computers, I've got lots of backup when it comes to "breaking things in Mint" because of an update or if a new Mint version causes a problem on any of my computers.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”