Promoting Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Ozo
Level 4
Level 4

Promoting Mint

Postby Ozo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:16 am

The number of Mint users in the small mobile home park for seniors where I live in Florida just doubled. I was trying to downsize to gain space in my little travel trailer (35') so assembled a desktop computer complete with monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and of course it has a Mint 18.3 operating system. After installing a custom nature scene slideshow on the desktop, I presented it to a couple in my park I felt could use it no strings attached. I also offered advise and help with it for free if they needed it.

The very next day the woman presented me with an unexpected hug and told me she had already acquired service and it was "Beautiful". That turned out well and so far I have not received any threats from the other neighbors.

deepakdeshp
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Promoting Mint

Postby deepakdeshp » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:10 pm

That's a way to say thank you to Mint.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD processor . Memory 8GB

jimallyn
Level 17
Level 17

Postby jimallyn » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:04 pm

I also promote Linux in general, and Mint in particular, at every opportunity. Slowly but surely, my friends and family are changing over to Mint. I gave a talk on Linux at the local Senior Center computer club, and they asked me to put Linux on the club's computer (dual boot), and I'm sure I will wind up putting Linux on the computers of several of the members.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

151tom
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 151tom » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:28 am

I've helped several users switch over to Linux Mint that were fed up with the Microsoft way of doing things and for the most have been very satisfied.

Most users I have helped out found it very easy to use and for the most does everything they were using Microsoft Windows for without all of the problems.

Linux promotes itself if a user has the willingness and desire to learn Linux although the Microsoft user must be willing to step outside of the Microsoft box.
Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer. (Mark Twain)

Ozo
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Ozo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:50 pm

I chose Mint 18.3 to gift my neighbor as I am the one to respond to issues. Since I am most familiar with the os I am currently using then it makes sense for them to have the same one. My neighbor said there are no issues so far but I do plan to go over it with them and offer any tips to improve there experience. I am first going to show them how to play dvd's on VLC as they said they sometimes rent them. Also I will show them where to get video for free starting with Youtube.

Since 18.3 is extremely user friendly and does not require any knowledge of Linux, it is perfect for newbies. I told them to ignore all updates which I will take care of later.

I have one more spare desktop computer but it has Windows 10 on it which I paid $100 for. I could re-lode the os fresh and sell it with the validated copy of Windows but would just be promoting those bozo's. :idea: I am going with a Mint os for that computer too. She is a beauty with a red (kinda pinkish) anodized Lian Li case. It has bright red led's inside which can be seen through the front grill.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”