My Observations (Mint Cinnamon 18.3) (Some final thoughts)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
merlock
Level 1
Level 1

My Observations (Mint Cinnamon 18.3) (Some final thoughts)

Post by merlock » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Ok, so I'm a long-time LFS (Linux From Scratch) user, and I decided to put Mint thru it's paces. Month in, and generally, I like it.

Some observations that I've come across (not show stoppers, but annoying to me in general, and all are IMHO):

1. The scripts in /etc/grub.d/ need work. As an example, after the install, the grub boot menu showed "Advanced options for Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit". An entry under that showed "Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit with Linux From Scratch", it pointed to my LFS kernel, with the Mint initrd (I don't use/need an initrd in LFS). It also had another entry showing the same thing, but with Windows 7. Glad I saved an archive copy of my old grub.cfg prior...

2. I hate PAM. Repeat again at will...I hate PAM.

3. I use a Raspberry Pi with Pi-Hole and DNSSEC for my home network DNS. No matter what I tried, I could not make my changes stick in /etc/resolv.conf. Finally discovered that the stock install was a symlink. Once I removed that, and changed my nameservers all was well; but, since I still cannot trace where it makes changes (Network Manager is no help) I went all hacky and did:

Code: Select all

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
4. Suspend is borked somewhere. This works perfectly:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl suspend
But, if I wait for it to "time-out", on resume the display is garbled and unreadable. I'm reduced to having to log-out and log back in. Sometimes a real pain if I have a bunch of browser tabs open for future reading. No, cinnamon --restart does not work for me. Hibernate is disabled.

5. Fcron is better than Anacron.

6. Finally, it's taking me some time getting used to SystemD. I'm not a fanatical anti, but I've been using SysV for a long, long time. I don't want any traces of SystemD on my LFS, but unfortunately, a lot of the newer software has so many hooks into it that it is not even funny, and will not even ./configure without it, and doesn't have any kind of "--no-systemd" switch. So, there is one of my major reasons for being here: looking at/playing with new software.

Overall Grade: B+

merlock
--
CITIZENS do NOT say "I have nothing to hide!"
OpenPGP preferred. My key: 0xF24B2F77
Last edited by merlock on Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rocky Bennett
Level 4
Level 4

Re: My Observations (Mint Cinnamon 18.3)

Post by Rocky Bennett » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:14 pm

If I was experiencing any of that I would give it an "F." For me, on my system, Mint rates a real nice B+ because it runs well and does everything I want with no problems except some minor screen tearing.

rumpus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rumpus » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:35 am

This newbie upgraded from 18.2 mate to 18.3 mate and Linux found the wifi and printer. I then installed timeshift, following the instructions, and it works very well.

I know nothing about programming or how the computer works for that matter. But it does all I want to do on a computer.

Perhaps the mint developers had me in mind and made it easier for us beginners so we can run Linux also.

I like it.....r

czeekaj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by czeekaj » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:56 pm

I am a n00b with Linux but I do miss the SySV OK check during boot. I don't mind a few seconds longer as a desktop user as it's not shutting down often anyway. However the dependancies are noted, I feel the older way of doing things is simple and lighter. The mainline distro's seem to be getting more bulk.

merlock
Level 1
Level 1

Re: My Observations (Mint Cinnamon 18.3) (Some final thoughts)

Post by merlock » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:43 pm

So, I'm going to be moving along...

Some final thoughts:

1. Suspend is still borked.

2. While I still hate PAM, I've gotten over it.

3. There are some serious issues with security. For example:

--Mint's current installed/available gnupg2 is version 2.1.11 (released 26 Jan 2016). Current version is 2.2.8 (8 Jun 2018).

--Mint's current/installed openssl version is 1.0.2g (released 1 Mar 2016). Current version is 1.0.2o (27 Mar 2018). Version 1.1.0h is not even available on Mint.

I think it is pretty disingenuous for the Mint devs to (apparently) wash their hands and say, "Oh, well, Ubuntu hasn't released an update, so no biggie". :shock: :evil:
Yes, you can uninstall, compile and install yourself, but the majority of Mint's target audience won't or can't do that. Keep in mind that this is from stock repositories.

4. For no rhyme or reason, on some reboots the only HDD on my system (/dev/sda on *every* GNU/Linux distribution I've ever used) came up as /dev/sde! Needless to say, any automated scripts that I had needed to be changed. The only way I could *sometimes* change it would be to boot into my grub live cd, then reboot again.

For now, I've moved over to Manjaro. Sure, it wasn't "install and off to the races", but it only took me but a couple of hours at the terminal to get it tweaked just right.

Sorry, but because of the last 2 issues:

Final Grade: C-

merlock
--
CITIZENS do NOT say "I have nothing to hide!"
OpenPGP preferred. My key: 0xF24B2F77

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”