My Observations (Mint Cinnamon 18.3)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
merlock
Level 1
Level 1

My Observations (Mint Cinnamon 18.3)

Post by merlock » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Ok, so I'm a long-time LFS (Linux From Scratch) user, and I decided to put Mint thru it's paces. Month in, and generally, I like it.

Some observations that I've come across (not show stoppers, but annoying to me in general, and all are IMHO):

1. The scripts in /etc/grub.d/ need work. As an example, after the install, the grub boot menu showed "Advanced options for Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit". An entry under that showed "Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit with Linux From Scratch", it pointed to my LFS kernel, with the Mint initrd (I don't use/need an initrd in LFS). It also had another entry showing the same thing, but with Windows 7. Glad I saved an archive copy of my old grub.cfg prior...

2. I hate PAM. Repeat again at will...I hate PAM.

3. I use a Raspberry Pi with Pi-Hole and DNSSEC for my home network DNS. No matter what I tried, I could not make my changes stick in /etc/resolv.conf. Finally discovered that the stock install was a symlink. Once I removed that, and changed my nameservers all was well; but, since I still cannot trace where it makes changes (Network Manager is no help) I went all hacky and did:

Code: Select all

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
4. Suspend is borked somewhere. This works perfectly:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl suspend
But, if I wait for it to "time-out", on resume the display is garbled and unreadable. I'm reduced to having to log-out and log back in. Sometimes a real pain if I have a bunch of browser tabs open for future reading. No, cinnamon --restart does not work for me. Hibernate is disabled.

5. Fcron is better than Anacron.

6. Finally, it's taking me some time getting used to SystemD. I'm not a fanatical anti, but I've been using SysV for a long, long time. I don't want any traces of SystemD on my LFS, but unfortunately, a lot of the newer software has so many hooks into it that it is not even funny, and will not even ./configure without it, and doesn't have any kind of "--no-systemd" switch. So, there is one of my major reasons for being here: looking at/playing with new software.

Overall Grade: B+

merlock
--
CITIZENS do NOT say "I have nothing to hide!"
OpenPGP preferred. My key: 0xF24B2F77
Last edited by xenopeek on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: advertisement removed

Rocky Bennett
Level 4
Level 4

Re: My Observations (Mint Cinnamon 18.3)

Post by Rocky Bennett » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:14 pm

If I was experiencing any of that I would give it an "F." For me, on my system, Mint rates a real nice B+ because it runs well and does everything I want with no problems except some minor screen tearing.

rumpus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rumpus » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:35 am

This newbie upgraded from 18.2 mate to 18.3 mate and Linux found the wifi and printer. I then installed timeshift, following the instructions, and it works very well.

I know nothing about programming or how the computer works for that matter. But it does all I want to do on a computer.

Perhaps the mint developers had me in mind and made it easier for us beginners so we can run Linux also.

I like it.....r

czeekaj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by czeekaj » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:56 pm

I am a n00b with Linux but I do miss the SySV OK check during boot. I don't mind a few seconds longer as a desktop user as it's not shutting down often anyway. However the dependancies are noted, I feel the older way of doing things is simple and lighter. The mainline distro's seem to be getting more bulk.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”