Wifi problems with mint 18 boot

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tjh573

Wifi problems with mint 18 boot

Post by tjh573 »

First of all, I am not Tech Savvy. After getting a new laptop a few years ago and really disliking the Windows OS my husband recommended using Linux Mint. I started out with Rosa version. Last year I switched to Sarah. This is when my wifi problem started. The wifi worked just fine until I booted the Rosa then it seemed too just disappear. There is no wifi connection. When I click on "enable wifi" it doesn't do anything. I go to "edit connections" and the only one available is the ethernet connection. I would say it is the wifi chip but it happened on my other laptop when I booted Sarah and it just happened with my new laptop when I booted Sonya version. Has anyone else had this happen? I asked my husband but he isn't familiar with the internet parts of a computer or how to fix it-thus, the reason I am posting on this forum. Can anyone give me suggestions or possibly help me fix this? Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ozo

Re: Wifi problems with mint 18 boot

Post by Ozo »

tjh573 wrote:First of all, I am not Tech Savvy. After getting a new laptop a few years ago and really disliking the Windows OS my husband recommended using Linux Mint. I started out with Rosa version. Last year I switched to Sarah. This is when my wifi problem started. The wifi worked just fine until I booted the Rosa then it seemed too just disappear. There is no wifi connection. When I click on "enable wifi" it doesn't do anything. I go to "edit connections" and the only one available is the ethernet connection. I would say it is the wifi chip but it happened on my other laptop when I booted Sarah and it just happened with my new laptop when I booted Sonya version. Has anyone else had this happen? I asked my husband but he isn't familiar with the internet parts of a computer or how to fix it-thus, the reason I am posting on this forum. Can anyone give me suggestions or possibly help me fix this? Thank you
That has happened to me many times and all that was wrong was the Router needed to be reset. Disconnect the power to the router and wait 15 seconds before reapplying. The router will take a few minutes to finish at which time all the lights should be glowing continuously. That should do it but to be sure press the tiny button on the router which eliminates the need to type in the wifi password. The password is on a sticker on the back of the router.

I am assuming you have a wired (ethernet) connection not a wireless connection.
tjh573

Post by tjh573 »

I did what you recommended. It is still only showing an ethernet connection. No wifi connection anywhere to be found. I really like Linux Mint but being plugged in all the time on a laptop is annoying. I thought may be it had something to do with the software. I am on wired connection and did have wifi available with Windows OS before I booted Sonya.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

tjh573 wrote:I did what you recommended. It is still only showing an ethernet connection. No wifi connection anywhere to be found. I really like Linux Mint but being plugged in all the time on a laptop is annoying. I thought may be it had something to do with the software. I am on wired connection and did have wifi available with Windows OS before I booted Sonya.
Your router has the wifi built in? You have an ethernet connection, do you have access to the internet?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Please open a terminal window and enter

Code: Select all

lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net; lsusb; rfkill list
Post results
tjh573

Post by tjh573 »

Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller [103c:81ff]
Kernel driver in use: r8169
Kernel modules: r8169
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:24fb] (rev 10)
DeviceName: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.2 Combo Adapter
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2110]
Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04f2:b56c Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04f3:2353 Elan Microelectronics Corp.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0aa7 Intel Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
0: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: yes
Hard blocked: no
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
4: hci0: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: yes
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

The acer-wmi module loaded on a HP machine

Code: Select all

echo "blacklist acer-wmi" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
Reboot
tjh573

Post by tjh573 »

The code you had me enter and reboot worked!!! Thank you very much for helping me work this out!
I don't understand why an acer-wmi module would be factory installed on my new computer though.
Thank you again. Have a great New Year!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”