Mint installation on HP Spectre x360 is a dream!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Post Reply
User avatar
MurphCID
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Mint installation on HP Spectre x360 is a dream!

Post by MurphCID » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:31 pm

I replaced my old linux laptop which died a horrible death during the hurricane last year with a new HP Spectre X360 i7 laptop. After booting into Mint, it installed like a champ, no issues with wireless, no issues with anything. Just amazing, and I have 18.3 up and running on the laptop. I missed linux a lot. It is good to be back. I picked the HP since I have had good luck with HP laptops It has 8 gb of ram, an i7 processor, and a 256 gb ssd with a 1920x1080 13" display. It is nice and light and supposed to have amazing battery life.

User avatar
Minterator
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 596
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:29 am

Re: Mint installation on HP Spectre x360 is a dream!

Post by Minterator » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:24 pm

I have my eye on that one too, except the Ryzen version for obvious reasons -- HP ENVY x360 15z

Is the keyboard backlit?
Mint 17.3 MATE, kernel 4.11.12

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Mint installation on HP Spectre x360 is a dream!

Post by MurphCID » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:57 pm

Yes it is. I wanted the Ryzen, but decided to go for this one since it is so small and compact.

Minterator wrote:I have my eye on that one too, except the Ryzen version for obvious reasons -- HP ENVY x360 15z

Is the keyboard backlit?

User avatar
Minterator
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 596
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:29 am

Re: Mint installation on HP Spectre x360 is a dream!

Post by Minterator » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Enjoy : )

Watch out for HP battery recall: https://batteryprogram687.ext.hp.com/
Mint 17.3 MATE, kernel 4.11.12

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Mint installation on HP Spectre x360 is a dream! (Snag hit)

Post by MurphCID » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:39 am

Well the laptop lasted less than 24 hours. I went to start it up, and while the power came on, nothing, no boot screen, no nada. Instead the battery got so hot that the laptop was almost too hot to touch. So I wonder if there is an issue with Mint and HP Spectre x360 laptops with power or something else? Best Buy replaced it with a better version (more $$$$ of course), so I am going to run Winders for a couple of days to make sure that there are no issues before I put Mint back on this laptop. I have never had a battery do that on an HP laptop, it was just strange. Plus when I turned it on, I could see the LCD screen lit, but nothing, no boot, no login, nothing. I could not even get to bios.

Minterator wrote:Enjoy : )

Watch out for HP battery recall: https://batteryprogram687.ext.hp.com/

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Mint installation on HP Spectre x360 is a dream!

Post by MurphCID » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:56 pm

I am so stupid. I did not turn on legacy boot. No wonder it failed. I admit it, I am a noob.

User avatar
Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5640
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 1:41 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Mint installation on HP Spectre x360 is a dream!

Post by Spearmint2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:58 pm

LOL, I bet they wish they'd not named it "Spectre" now, with all this latest news about Meltdown and Spectre.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Mint installation on HP Spectre x360 is a dream!

Post by MurphCID » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 am

It is working great, in fact I am using it right now to post. The change to legacy boot made all the difference in the world. I am so dumb, I should have checked that earlier. I wonder if that was the cause of the overheating on the other laptop?

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Mint installation on HP Spectre x360 is a dream!

Post by MurphCID » Sat May 12, 2018 9:14 am

Man, battery life on this thing is really inconsistent. I somehow think that power management is not as efficient as I had thought. I am still getting a good three hours (or better) on most days for just some emails, web surfing, word processing, etc. On the upside the HP pen works well, and the touchscreen is pretty nice even though I do not use it often. I (as I have written of other posts) still hate the trackpad not turning off properly while I am typing. I have to go in and manually disable the trackpad to keep my cursor from jumping all over the page. But all in all, I love this HP laptop, and have no regrets about buying it, and installing Mint. I even used it to get a hipster to consider Mint over Windows.

User avatar
Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5640
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 1:41 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Mint installation on HP Spectre x360 is a dream! (Snag hit)

Post by Spearmint2 » Sat May 12, 2018 11:02 am

MurphCID wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:39 am
Well the laptop lasted less than 24 hours. I went to start it up, and while the power came on, nothing, no boot screen, no nada. Instead the battery got so hot that the laptop was almost too hot to touch. So I wonder if there is an issue with Mint and HP Spectre x360 laptops with power or something else? Best Buy replaced it with a better version (more $$$$ of course), so I am going to run Winders for a couple of days to make sure that there are no issues before I put Mint back on this laptop. I have never had a battery do that on an HP laptop, it was just strange. Plus when I turned it on, I could see the LCD screen lit, but nothing, no boot, no login, nothing. I could not even get to bios.

Minterator wrote:Enjoy : )

Watch out for HP battery recall: https://batteryprogram687.ext.hp.com/
You were lucky to catch that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aOICtMyKTk
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Mint installation on HP Spectre x360 is a dream!

Post by MurphCID » Fri May 18, 2018 10:20 am

I know, I did not want to set fire to my house, or worse have the thing blow up in my lap! For the most part this thing is really nice even though battery life is inconsistent. But battery life never gives you the projected hours from the manufacturer. I take it with me all the time these days since it is so light.

Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”