I'm sick of FUD and misinformation regarding Linux Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: I'm sick of FUD and misinformation regarding Linux Mint

Post by jimallyn »

ArtGirl wrote:
pizzadude wrote:I wouldn't let the b*st*rds grind you down or waste any time on it. Mint makes Linux really enjoyable, and I'm very glad to be able to use it. :-)
+1

If somebody wants to argue which distro is the best, I try not to get involved. But I will happily talk to people who don't know anything about Linux but are willing to listen and learn. Well, that's not completely true. I will "argue" with a naysayer when there are other people around who don't know about Linux, but my answers are mostly NOT aimed at the arguer, they are aimed at informing the uninitiated.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

jimallyn wrote:
ArtGirl wrote:
pizzadude wrote:I wouldn't let the b*st*rds grind you down or waste any time on it. Mint makes Linux really enjoyable, and I'm very glad to be able to use it. :-)
+1

If somebody wants to argue which distro is the best, I try not to get involved. But I will happily talk to people who don't know anything about Linux but are willing to listen and learn. Well, that's not completely true. I will "argue" with a naysayer when there are other people around who don't know about Linux, but my answers are mostly NOT aimed at the arguer, they are aimed at informing the uninitiated.
Thanks, and I agree; the 'best distro' conversation just goes round in circles, and everyone has unique ways of using different distros anyway. If someone is intruding, yes, they need stopping, as it just gets in the way of anything productive.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It's a lot like what happens with motorbikes. People learn to ride (during their lessons) on bikes that are both easy to ride, and very suitable for learning. Then when they have their license, they think that those bikes are 'too easy' and not powerful enough, and so they get a bigger, faster bike that's harder to handle and not necessarily more fun! And if you don't do that, but stick to a smaller bike because you happen to like the way it handles, they'll look down on you for riding a 'beginner's bike'.
But that is really silly, because you like what you like and those lighter, easier to handle bikes can get you anywhere that a bigger one can get you. And you may very well enjoy the ride more.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

rick gen wrote:
Arch_Enemy wrote:When a friend or acquaintance complains about Windows, I tell them about Mint.
Thread is not even about Linux vs Windows users.
It's about Linux Mint vs users of other distros denigrating Mint.
I doubt Windows users even care about distro differences, much less know denigrating terms used by so-called Linux elites.
I do believe I realized that...;)

The point I was trying to make is that when my friends do complain about Windows, I recommend they try Mint because it is about the easiest, best working distro right out of the box, without having to fudge around a lot to make it work.
I don't particularly care for what the "gearheads" say. I used Arch for 4.5 years. One guy came up with a nifty installer that made installing Arch a snap. He was told to cease because "it is not the Arch way"!
Who give a fu...er...hang HOW it's installed!?! But it cause a big stink in the Arch community, a good deal of whom are Linux effitists. Who gives a crap? It's just another Linux distro!
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

lol folks knocking down mint cause it's user friendly and stable, ok I guess they want something harder and more unuseable I guess :lol:
I still recommend mint to all folks wanting to come over to linux, why? cause it's stable, easy to use, user friendly, still got all my family on it, well ok arch enemy, I'm still on manjaro lmao, ya know why, have to have the rolling release and still no issues except the network manager which I made so it don't update it so it works.
Did get a kick out of your trials with it though ya got stamina.

Really it doesn't matter which distro ya use, it's all a matter of choice, and lucky for all of us, linux gives us so many choices no one should feel left out, it's a beautiful thing this linux word is.
If your an elitist theres plenty of hard ways to run linux, if your an everyday user plenty there to, if you have specific stuff like music art science etc theres even special editions for those folks to or make it the way ya want to, if your not happy heck make your own the way ya want it to be, don't like the look create your own or find ten million themes kicking around, choices of desktop versions are a lot, don't like any of those heck learn coding make your own lol.

Some like apples some like oranges great thing with linux we got all the of them :)
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

samriggs wrote:lol folks knocking down mint cause it's user friendly and stable, ok I guess they want something harder and more unuseable I guess :lol:
I still recommend mint to all folks wanting to come over to linux, why? cause it's stable, easy to use, user friendly, still got all my family on it, well ok arch enemy, I'm still on manjaro lmao, ya know why, have to have the rolling release and still no issues except the network manager which I made so it don't update it so it works.

I have the latest version all set to load up on the next empty hard drive...;) But for work I needed something stable, so I came back to Mint. Haven't heard a word from my manager since. :D

PS: I just caught the "..it doesn't update so it works"...No wonder you're happy!

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

pizzadude stop sucking up to try and become a Moderator :D :wink:
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Arch_Enemy wrote:
samriggs wrote:lol folks knocking down mint cause it's user friendly and stable, ok I guess they want something harder and more unuseable I guess :lol:

I have the latest version all set to load up on the next empty hard drive...;) But for work I needed something stable, so I came back to Mint. Haven't heard a word from my manager since. :D

PS: I just caught the "..it doesn't update so it works"...No wonder you're happy!
It's just the network manager, the only thing that ever gave me issues cause they use the latest always, they haven't had time to work out all the bugs so to be on the safe side I just ignore that one part on updates to avoid any issues until another version is safe then I update it again and put the ignore on it again.
Other then that no issues :) knock on wood lol
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Network Manager. Maybe this will help. It's what I use when Network Manager takes a hit.

Code: Select all

sudo service network-manager stop; nm-applet; sudo service network-manager start;
Also I sped up my boot time by cutting back time network manager takes during boot to try and configure the network. It's in the /etc/init/failsafe.conf file. I only give it 10 + 10 +1 seconds to do it, or forget it. Previously it was adding minutes to boot time in 17.3 version.

Code: Select all

script
	# Determine if plymouth is available
	if [ -x /bin/plymouth ] && /bin/plymouth --ping ; then
		PLYMOUTH=/bin/plymouth
	else
		PLYMOUTH=":"
	fi

# The point here is to wait for 2 minutes before forcibly booting 
    # the system. Anything that is in an "or" condition with 'started 
    # failsafe' in rc-sysinit deserves consideration for mentioning in
    # these messages. currently only static-network-up counts for that.

sleep 10

# Plymouth errors should not stop the script because we *must* reach
    # the end of this script to avoid letting the system spin forever
    # waiting on it to start.
	$PLYMOUTH message --text="Waiting for network configuration..." || :
	sleep 10

$PLYMOUTH message --text="Waiting up to 10 more seconds for network configuration..." || :
	sleep 10
	$PLYMOUTH message --text="Booting system without full network configuration..." || :

# give user 1 second to see this message since plymouth will go
    # away as soon as failsafe starts.
	sleep 1
    exec initctl emit --no-wait failsafe-boot
end script
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I've tried many Linux Distros over time either as a live DVD or in a Virtual Machine and Mint wins every time. Once you get the hang of it and that's not hard...you will never use anything else.

It's easy to Install...stable and very user friendly...who the hell wants a Distro you need a Degree in Computer Science to use. Anyway who cares what other jealous Linux Distro users say...they can always switch to Mint too. :D
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

I'm sick of all this whining! Oh, wait. I just did. :oops:

I guess people got tired of bullying Ubuntu that they're looking for somebody else to pick on. Given enough time, they'll get tired of it.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

bob466 wrote:I've tried many Linux Distros over time either as a live DVD or in a Virtual Machine and Mint wins every time. Once you get the hang of it and that's not hard...you will never use anything else.

It's easy to Install...stable and very user friendly...who the hell wants a Distro you need a Degree in Computer Science to use. Anyway who cares what other jealous Linux Distro users say...they can always switch to Mint too. :D

C'mon, man! Admit it! You LOVE tinkering with Arch/Manjaro! The sheer power of having control over everything your OS does...

Until that 5th update borks your system...:D

Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Even though Manjaro is based on Arch, it is not Arch. Saying Arch/Manjaro is like saying Ubuntu/Mint. Just saying :D
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Ubuntu/Mint is Debian , Just saying. :D :wink:
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

Is it jealousy, ego or a bit of both? Back in the days of Slackware version 1 you had to be pretty skilled to get it all working on your computer. I use Slackware as an example because that was the first CD I got my hands on. I know Yggdrasil had a CD but I never had one. Sometimes you had to compile drivers yourself. Often people liked to recompile their kernels(removing what they didn't need) to make them faster. You had to choose each package and also make sure you had all the dependencies yourself.

Anyway having the ability to do all that can put someone on an ego trip. There was a feeling back then that you didn't deserve any help if you weren't willing to work for it. This was partly because those who knew how to do it had to work pretty hard to get there so it irked them to think of someone getting to skate by for free by getting help from a guru with no work on their part. Think of that acronym RTFM(Read The "Fine" Manual). If you read the whole manual and still couldn't figure something out you could easily find help. God help you if you asked a question that could be easily found in the manual. So now it's just an extension of that same feeling. Mint users didn't have to work hard to get the system installed and running. They didn't have to RTFM so to speak.

That's why I like mint though because it just works. This is the natural evolution that an OS should take. Technology is supposed to get better over time. For those that want to learn how it all works Arch is always there or LFS.

As for the ego part I can only take a guess but perhaps they can no longer feel as elite as the old days. With Mint now even someone with just a bit of computer experience can get it installed and running on their computer. Now to feel elite one must proclaim their OS to be whatever distro is deemed difficult and decry all the easier ones.

Now of course this a generalization and everybody was or is on a sliding scale between (not like that to exactly like that).
It is a part of the tech world like it or not.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

To me it's like a farmer who still values his skill in plowing with a mule as making him better in some way than all those other farmers who started using a tractor to do it. Clod hoppers!
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I started using Linux when you had to compile your own kernel. You had to have a creative sound card and you had to write your own Xorg.conf file. I have risen up thru the ranks and kept at it to this day. I ve done slackware, Redhat, Debian, Ubuntu ect... However, I am not too proud to help others. I do my best in the forum as time allows. It actually gives me a good feeling when someone thanks me for helping them get something going. I know that I am not face to face with them but you can tell when they are so excited to have this problem solved in what they write. :)

I will say with some truth that there are those that do not want to learn and want everything handed to them. I help those that are willing to put some effort into it. Mostly everyone here is pretty darn good at the effort part. I only really get upset with those that do not take the time to learn a bit. After all, Linux is a learning experience. Its like being on a journey. You run into someone that is struggling with something you struggled with and you have the chance to help them out. By all means yes! Help them. But do not walk the journey for them.

As far as I am concerned Linux Mint is the De-facto linux flavor. It can be many things to many people. It can do what you want it to. Its simply the best flavor to run on a desktop.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
buffest_overflow

Post by buffest_overflow »

The whole idea of FOSS, the whole ideology, is that it spreads. I have had enough experience with the "I was here first" division of geekdom that I can kind of see through it. Partly because I've been there myself at various times in my life. All operating systems will continue to have problems. The entire internet might explode. I've thoroughly (mostly) enjoyed my introduction to Linux through Mint, and feel really bad for people that take this stuff so personally. The spirit of this stuff should be to help people, to invite them in. That's how I feel at least.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

sgtor wrote:Is it jealousy, ego or a bit of both? Back in the days of Slackware version 1 you had to be pretty skilled to get it all working on your computer. I use Slackware as an example because that was the first CD I got my hands on. I know Yggdrasil had a CD but I never had one. Sometimes you had to compile drivers yourself. Often people liked to recompile their kernels(removing what they didn't need) to make them faster. You had to choose each package and also make sure you had all the dependencies yourself.

Anyway having the ability to do all that can put someone on an ego trip. There was a feeling back then that you didn't deserve any help if you weren't willing to work for it. This was partly because those who knew how to do it had to work pretty hard to get there so it irked them to think of someone getting to skate by for free by getting help from a guru with no work on their part. Think of that acronym RTFM(Read The "Fine" Manual). If you read the whole manual and still couldn't figure something out you could easily find help. God help you if you asked a question that could be easily found in the manual. So now it's just an extension of that same feeling. Mint users didn't have to work hard to get the system installed and running. They didn't have to RTFM so to speak.

That's why I like mint though because it just works. This is the natural evolution that an OS should take. Technology is supposed to get better over time. For those that want to learn how it all works Arch is always there or LFS.

As for the ego part I can only take a guess but perhaps they can no longer feel as elite as the old days. With Mint now even someone with just a bit of computer experience can get it installed and running on their computer. Now to feel elite one must proclaim their OS to be whatever distro is deemed difficult and decry all the easier ones.

Now of course this a generalization and everybody was or is on a sliding scale between (not like that to exactly like that).
It is a part of the tech world like it or not.

One of my favourite taglines from the USENET days (someone else's): Ubuntu: Old African word meaning "Too lazy to use Slackware"

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

coffee412 wrote:I started using Linux when you had to compile your own kernel. You had to have a creative sound card and you had to write your own Xorg.conf file. I have risen up thru the ranks and kept at it to this day. I ve done slackware, Redhat, Debian, Ubuntu ect... However, I am not too proud to help others. I do my best in the forum as time allows. It actually gives me a good feeling when someone thanks me for helping them get something going. I know that I am not face to face with them but you can tell when they are so excited to have this problem solved in what they write. :)

I will say with some truth that there are those that do not want to learn and want everything handed to them. I help those that are willing to put some effort into it. Mostly everyone here is pretty darn good at the effort part. I only really get upset with those that do not take the time to learn a bit. After all, Linux is a learning experience. Its like being on a journey. You run into someone that is struggling with something you struggled with and you have the chance to help them out. By all means yes! Help them. But do not walk the journey for them.

As far as I am concerned Linux Mint is the De-facto linux flavor. It can be many things to many people. It can do what you want it to. Its simply the best flavor to run on a desktop.
The only time I had to compile a kernel was for installing a new driver in the system.

Download the driver.
make the changes.
Start the compiler.
Go eat supper, have a drink and watch the Evening News...:D

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”