1 year anniversary of HP Stream x360 11 Installation Serena 18.1

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Naickej4

1 year anniversary of HP Stream x360 11 Installation Serena 18.1

Post by Naickej4 »

It's my one year Anniversary of my Installation of Mint 18.1 Serena 32bit OS on my HP Stream x360 (and me switching over to Linux). I am simply loving Linux Mint and learning more each day about Linux and how awesome it is compared to Windows.
I initially had Windows 8.1 running on my HP Stream x360 11-p010nr - 11.6" - Celeron N2840 - 2 GB RAM - 32 GB SSD. Which made it very slow and difficult to work with. Back then I mainly used it for browsing and watching movies or listening to audio but I was not able to do much since it was over heating and the terrible lagging of applications made it a nightmare to work with. I was not able to have multiple windows open at a time and if I was watching youtube video and taking down notes on MS Word the video used to just lag at random intervals. Not to mention the overheating. The CPU usage was always on high (90%-100%) and RAM usage exhausted. After windows decided to do some weird update to upgrade my OS to Windows 10 which took up alot of my data plus Hard disk space I was furious. I actually wanted to give the annoying laptop to my niece, but then stepped in Linux Mint.
I googled over the internet for the best Distro to be loaded on my laptop with the least amount of technical hardware issues, since I always remembered people moving over to Linux but always had issues with their hardware. I stumbled across this site and further researched Linux Mint.
I eventually moved over to Linux Mint and WOW is all I can say.
I have no more issues with the overheating, everything runs smoothly. I can now have multiple windows open with no lagging. I can now even watch Youtube Video tutorials and not just make notes but have Netbeans IDE open and do live coding while watching the videos. I am so impressed with this OS and my next Laptop will have the latest version Linux Mint in it.
The only two issues I did have after installation was my WiFi was not working, but I managed to fix it after searching the internet for the generic configuration settings. I also was not able to use the SIM card reader which is still not working but I never used it before. I did read that those two are the common issues for my Laptop and I will live with the problem I don't mind. :D

But with all said and done after 1 whole year of testing and installing applications I rate Linux Mint 18.1 one of the best OS for overall performance mixed with user friendliness, low on resource usage, easy cross over OS from Windows to Linux, beautiful appearance and tons of support forums on how to install applications and fault findings.
I think anyone who plans to move from Windows to Linux will find Linux Mint awesome 8)
Thank you Linux Mint team keep it rolling!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pjc123
Level 2
Level 2

Re: 1 year anniversary of HP Stream x360 11 Installation Serena 18.1

Post by pjc123 »

I am also having the same good experience running Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit on a very similar laptop (HP Stream 11, Model 11-r010nr, 32GB storage, 2GB ram, N3050 Celeron cpu @ 1.60 GHz). I didn't have the overheating problems you had, but Videos were freezing, the cpu very often was at 100%, and Windows 10 updates became so large recently that even with massive cleaning and turning off services it got to the point that I couldn't do any more updates because the 32GB storage was full to the max. Linux Mint fixed most of those problems. The only small negative thing, is that although Linux Mint is faster than Windows, it still is a little slow, even after tweaking a few things, I am sure because of the low system specs. I tried Mate, which was a bit faster, but every time I went to do something it was a struggle, whereas with Cinnamon everything just works. I don't want to go with any lower of an end desktop environment like Xfce, because I don't want to give up the great extra features of Cinnamon. Even though the laptop has really low end specs, I love that it is so light and portable and use it in the field often to wirelessly control my raspberry pi. Linux Mint 18.3 is also running great on my Thinkpad T470, and having the exact same distro on both laptops makes it easy to keep both up to date with any changes that I make.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”