[SOLVED] Linux Mint XFCE close to KDE's end?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Post Reply
User avatar
noc
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:55 pm

[SOLVED] Linux Mint XFCE close to KDE's end?

Post by noc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:03 am

Hi community! [Sorry for the dead revival subject here]

I'm using Linux Mint as my primary OS for a good 7 years now, and I totally love it.
So after the announcement of KDE's flavor abandonment, I was curious to see if XFCE would keep up with Cinnamon and MATE releases - even if it's a GTK-based DE.

Although I don't use it for my main PC, Mint's XFCE provides an exceptional desktop experience and solid performance for older machines. However, in the last 2 releases (18.2, 18.3) I observed that the thumbnail of XFCE's download page under linuxmint.com is missing, and that's also what happened prior to KDE's end.

So what do you believe? Is it just a mistake not to include it? Is there any case to see only Cinnamon and MATE releases in a few months?
Last edited by noc on Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Desktop: Intel Core i3 2120 | Nvidia GeForce 750Ti | 8GB | 500GB HDD
Notebook: Intel Core i3 4005U | Intel HD 4400 / Nvidia GeForce 920M | 4GB | 256GB SSD + 500GB HDD

User avatar
Schultz
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1140
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: Linux Mint XFCE close to KDE's end?

Post by Schultz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:01 am

If there were plans to stop putting out Xfce editions, this forum probably would be on fire.

BTW, I have no idea what thumbnail you're talking about. Everything there looks the same to me.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 17830
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:34 am

Re: Linux Mint XFCE close to KDE's end?

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:11 am

I have no idea, about which "thumbnails" you are talking. But quite obviously Xfce and Kde editions are listed on the download page as they had been there for years.

User avatar
kc1di
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4224
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 pm
Location: Maine USA

Re: Linux Mint XFCE close to KDE's end?

Post by kc1di » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:12 am

Schultz wrote:If there were plans to stop putting out Xfce editions, this forum probably would be on fire.

BTW, I have no idea what thumbnail you're talking about. Everything there looks the same to me.
I think he's talking about the little boxes under the main picture they used to scroll revealing xfce and kde but no longer seem to do that.
xfce is still available under all downloads. I would also be surprised if it was dropped as an option since it is a GTK based Desktop also.
Easy tips : https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

User avatar
noc
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Re: Linux Mint XFCE close to KDE's end?

Post by noc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:15 am

Schultz wrote:If there were plans to stop putting out Xfce editions, this forum probably would be on fire.

BTW, I have no idea what thumbnail you're talking about. Everything there looks the same to me.
That makes sense. I'm talking about the main slideshow which usually contained the 4 Mint editions for easy download: https://imgur.com/P4TkueW
Desktop: Intel Core i3 2120 | Nvidia GeForce 750Ti | 8GB | 500GB HDD
Notebook: Intel Core i3 4005U | Intel HD 4400 / Nvidia GeForce 920M | 4GB | 256GB SSD + 500GB HDD

User avatar
Schultz
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1140
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: Linux Mint XFCE close to KDE's end?

Post by Schultz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:17 am

noc wrote:
I'm talking about the main slideshow which usually contained the 4 Mint editions for easy download: https://imgur.com/P4TkueW
You're right, it's not there. It was there in the past? Probably just an oversight. However, the blog posts that they link to exist:
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3480

User avatar
noc
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Re: Linux Mint XFCE close to KDE's end?

Post by noc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:19 am

Cosmo. wrote:I have no idea, about which "thumbnails" you are talking. But quite obviously Xfce and Kde editions are listed on the download page as they had been there for years.
Sure, it's obvious that everyone can currently download whichever edition they want. Just being curious about xfce not even been presented in the main page.
Desktop: Intel Core i3 2120 | Nvidia GeForce 750Ti | 8GB | 500GB HDD
Notebook: Intel Core i3 4005U | Intel HD 4400 / Nvidia GeForce 920M | 4GB | 256GB SSD + 500GB HDD

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 17830
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:34 am

Re: Linux Mint XFCE close to KDE's end?

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:23 am

There is also no "thumbnail" for lmde. Does anybody believe, that Clem writes (in October's blog) about LMDE3 and than gives it up silently? There is also not "thumbnail" for the forum. Who does believe, that it will silently die? There is a page design, which gives room for 5 of those thumbnails, and that's it.

User avatar
noc
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Re: Linux Mint XFCE close to KDE's end?

Post by noc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:26 am

Schultz wrote:
noc wrote:
I'm talking about the main slideshow which usually contained the 4 Mint editions for easy download: https://imgur.com/P4TkueW
You're right, it's not there. It was there in the past? Probably just an oversight. However, the blog posts that they link to exist:
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3480
Yes, when Cinnamon and MATE editions were released, they would update the first two thumbnails with the newer versions (and make the next 2 point to "community" and "user guide", just as it is right now), and later, when KDE and XFCE got released, they would update them too to point to kde and xfce editions respectively.
Desktop: Intel Core i3 2120 | Nvidia GeForce 750Ti | 8GB | 500GB HDD
Notebook: Intel Core i3 4005U | Intel HD 4400 / Nvidia GeForce 920M | 4GB | 256GB SSD + 500GB HDD

User avatar
noc
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Re: Linux Mint XFCE close to KDE's end?

Post by noc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:27 am

Cosmo. wrote:There is also no "thumbnail" for lmde. Does anybody believe, that Clem writes (in October's blog) about LMDE3 and than gives it up silently? There is also not "thumbnail" for the forum. Who does believe, that it will silently die? There is a page design, which gives room for 5 of those thumbnails, and that's it.
There never was a thumbnail for lmde and forums. I know we're talking about (maybe) pointless details here, but it's just some thoughts.
Desktop: Intel Core i3 2120 | Nvidia GeForce 750Ti | 8GB | 500GB HDD
Notebook: Intel Core i3 4005U | Intel HD 4400 / Nvidia GeForce 920M | 4GB | 256GB SSD + 500GB HDD

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 17830
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:34 am

Re: Linux Mint XFCE close to KDE's end?

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:14 pm

To be honest: I did not visit the main page of linuxmint.com since years. Why should I? I go directly to the subdomain of my interest. So it might be, that the page did look somehow different, but drawing conclusions out of a page design gives nothing than speculations.

if you want real information, read blog.linuxmint.com regularly. Here is something about your topic:
... also thanks to cross-DE frameworks we put in place to support similar environments, such as MATE and Xfce.
As you can see, Mate and Xfce are mentioned side by side without any differentiation. Everything else is coffee grounds reading.

User avatar
noc
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Re: Linux Mint XFCE close to KDE's end?

Post by noc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:49 pm

Cosmo. wrote:To be honest: I did not visit the main page of linuxmint.com since years. Why should I? I go directly to the subdomain of my interest. So it might be, that the page did look somehow different, but drawing conclusions out of a page design gives nothing than speculations.

if you want real information, read blog.linuxmint.com regularly. Here is something about your topic:
... also thanks to cross-DE frameworks we put in place to support similar environments, such as MATE and Xfce.
As you can see, Mate and Xfce are mentioned side by side without any differentiation. Everything else is coffee grounds reading.
Actually I regulary visit both the main page and the blog (now the forums, too! :D ). It's just this small observation that made me think twice of the xfce version.

Anyway, as I see all of you guys believe nothing but the sensible "xfce isn't going anywhere" phrase, and I'm glad to find out that nothing's wrong with the support of this DE!

Best thing so far is that I find the community here in the forums to be of high standards and friendly, and that matters more than everything :wink:
Desktop: Intel Core i3 2120 | Nvidia GeForce 750Ti | 8GB | 500GB HDD
Notebook: Intel Core i3 4005U | Intel HD 4400 / Nvidia GeForce 920M | 4GB | 256GB SSD + 500GB HDD

User avatar
Lucap
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 1:40 am

Re: Linux Mint XFCE close to KDE's end?

Post by Lucap » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:44 am

XFCE = captain slow development.

By the time they fully move over to GTK3 everyone else wil be working on crossing over to GTK4.

Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”