amazonaws

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
just plain john

amazonaws

Post by just plain john »

How can the amazonaws cloud system be uninstalled, removed, or deleted from Mint 17.3. I am unable to find any info about this on the web. It is a service that is proving to be very dangerous to securing any linux system and I am tired of their clients using my information issued on this cloud system to return and hack into my home network. I want it, and any other cloud system now forced on most Linux users unwittingly (I have discovered that info on the web as proclaimed by others) off of my system. Please advise me, and all others who seek to be rid of this unwanted encroachment as to how to be done away with it. Thank you. JustPlain John. :-)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: amazonaws

Post by Moem »

Can you point me to any source that states that such software is indeed installed in Mint? This is the first I've heard about that and I'd like to know more.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, John.

Please, take the time to read xenopeek's post on what "amazonaws" addresses really are and why they do not spell any danger: Re: Hacked??

You may also read here what "amazonaws" is: What is amazonaws? What data is this transferring?
A bit further down this page you may find the general summary what "amazonaws" is:
Amazon web service is a collective name for a lot of cloud services provided by Amazon.
None of the accusations which you raise against it and the statements which you make about "amazonaws" in your post are covered by the facts.

The only way of never getting into contact with large service providers like "amazonaws" is this way:
+ pull the ethernet cable from your machine
+ switch off the wifi interface
+ cancel the contract with your ISP
+ run your computer standalone and in splendid isolation from the internet only.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
uberdorf

Post by uberdorf »

Maybe the OP is concerned about fake advertisements delivered through CDN's? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malvertising Sometimes malvertising is actual malware, and sometimes social engineering. For example, the second link in karlchen's response about amazonaws https://www.quora.com/What-is-amazonaws ... ansferring contains a link in the third response (by Gabriel Mar) that goes to a social engineering site I won't link to. It uses false information about amazonaws, shows how to remove the google translate function babylon claiming it is amazonaws (lol), and then pushes a product that is supposed to fix everything. I suspect that product will cause more problems with malware then it solves. Another common social engineering trick for installing malware are those popups saying your browser needs to be updated (only update through apt or the program if not installed through apt).

It is correct that the only way to protect from advertising (most of which is legitimate but bad for privacy) is to stay off the internet. Another possible solution to limit the CDN's is to install stuff like noscript, an ad-blocker, and firejail, but that limits functionality as has been mentioned. The best thing is to not click on the advertisements, or at least make sure the links are legitimate.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

People who are concerned about CDNs should consider installing the browser add-on DecentralEyes. https://decentraleyes.org/
But the original post does not even mention browsers, and as such it's very unclear to me. Some elaboration would help here.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi moem and everyone else...i will put this in just the most simple way i can without being always technically correct but in substance help with the understanding of what this is...what the op did not quite understand is that amazon web service...(amazonaws) is nothing more or less than any other web service that we connect to through the use of the internet...the aws stands for amazon web service...it is NOT INSTALLED on his or your computer as he thinks...it is just an internet connection that just happens to be owned by amazon.com...just like any other web service, when you click on something in your browser, amazonaws as well as a host of other web servers come into play, just start out with https://www.......if, like me you use privacy badger, you will look to see just how many web sites there are that are getting you from point A to point B on the WWW...amazonaws is just one of many...DAMIEN

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”