Cinnamon versus KDE

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Cinnamon versus KDE

Post by wutsinterweb »

Now that I've tried and used Cinnamon for a while, I've grown to prefer it over KDE, I never thought I'd like something more than KDE, but Cinnamon is more intuitive and straightforward to me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
sevendogs

Re: Cinnamon versus KDE

Post by sevendogs »

Not to mention more stable. KDE has always fascinated me because it is so configurable, but since the "plasma" series came out, I have tried it numerous times in numerous distros and none of them are stable: I always get desktop crashes or other glitches I don't get in other DEs. Too bad really since it is a pretty powerful desktop environment.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

In benchmarks KDE nearly always comes out as the slowest and the most resource heavy.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

wutsinterweb wrote:Now that I've tried and used Cinnamon for a while, I've grown to prefer it over KDE, I never thought I'd like something more than KDE, but Cinnamon is more intuitive and straightforward to me.
In production I use LM 17.3/KDE (kde4). I tried Cinnamon, but I'm going with Mate.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Lucap wrote:In benchmarks KDE nearly always comes out as the slowest and the most resource heavy.
Not really. I replaced Xfce with an 18.2 KDE installl and it ran in about 350Mb on boot after speed tweaks, before installing preload. That's not much more than Xfce took, and it runs about as fast. Some things, faster. Cinnamon is the resource hog ... the RAM used is ridiculous for a Linux DE. I used to have Cinnamon installed but IMO it's a triumph of style over substance.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Hoser Rob wrote:Not really.
21 January 2018

Intel Graphics On Ubuntu: GNOME vs. KDE vs. Xfce vs. Unity vs. LXDE

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... tops&num=1
Regardless of windowed or full-screen, KDE Plasma 5.11 came in slower than the other desktops tested out-of-the-box.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Lucap wrote:
Regardless of windowed or full-screen, KDE Plasma 5.11 came in slower than the other desktops tested out-of-the-box.
I run high-end gear and prelink KDE so it's very, very fast. I tried Cinnamon when the announcement was made that Mint 18.3 will be the last KDE and while I can live with Cinnamon, it had some serious video glitches. When Mint 19 comes out I'll install KDE on the xfce edition and see how that goes. In the meantime I'm trialling Kubuntu 17.10 and it's working fine, touch wood <taps self on head>.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Interesting. I just installed Cinnamon 18.3 today and system monitor shows 1.6GB out of 16. The KDE 18.3 I was running normally used 600 - 700 MB. I think tomorrow I'll switch back. :roll:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Yep, I was right. I just restored my Mint 18.3 KDE image and it's running @ 610MB :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

My apologies if you take offence to this but only an old person from the 90's would care that their computer is using either 700mb / 1.6gb out of 16gb of ram or deluding themselves into thinking their computer runs faster with using slightly less of the 16gb. :P :wink:
Last edited by Lucap on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No offense taken. I was just helping to illustrate the point that Cinnamon does appear to be "heavier".
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
teatime

Post by teatime »

I like Cinnamon because it runs very smooth on my low end laptop (i5 with HD3000) and the fan doesn't spin like crazy as with stock Gnome or KDE5 in my case but KDE has some very good apps, Kate/Kwrite best editors (ok, except vim you know that's the best one ;-) ) memory consumption is not a big thing for me in case I want to go really low on memory consumption I simply use i3 . So I hope Cinnamon and Linux Mint in general gains more developers to optimize Cinnamon in general - hope LMDE3 get release in the next time (currently I have a Frankenstein Debian 9 + Linux Mint Cinnamon repo system :-) so I'm sure LMDE3 will be great).
patrisVII

Post by patrisVII »

KDE pros:
- beautiful, silky, relaxing animations
- panel configurability is nearly infinite
- default Plasma 5 theme (breeze) is very well designed
- no screen tearing with intel integrated graphics

KDE cons:
- Non-default themes don't work well
- too many mouse clicks to do just about anything (except open folders)
- options are often unclear and sometimes confusing (took a bit of searching and reading to find how Activites were different than Virtual Desktops, and then found the difference to be largely academic in terms of my usage)
- overall stability is good (after Plasma 5.10) but still a lot of nettles, gnats and needles and the rapid development cycle seems to add more bugs than it removes.

Cinnamon pros:
- Super responsive - everything is quick
- best menu in Linux - lighting response, nearly perfect search function and intuitive category layout
- ease of navigation - everything is in it's proper place and can be accessed with minimal mousing.
- super minute control of effects - sounds superficial, but once you dial it in, it's hard to use another desktop in this regard.
- changing themes is easy and most every theme (window decorations, icons or overall) works well.
- same for fonts
- no screen tearing with intel integrated graphics

CInnamon cons:
- Frame rate on animations - pulldowns, hot corners, and other effects are jerky.
- Default theming is drab and the gray-on-gray can be hard on the eyes.

KDE Plasma is very impressive in terms of memory usage. I suspect that since its transition effects are slo-moish by default, this may give a suggestion of sluggishness to some users and play into the KDE-is-heavy trope.
But there is no question on my system that KDE uses 500-ish MB less RAM doing the same tasks as CInnamon. That said, I don't see any relative performance differences that would tell me this is impactful.

I prefer Cinnamon for it's ease of use and responsiveness. My only really criticism is with its visuals - maybe it can look to KDE for inspiration in this regard
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Lucap wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:30 am My apologies if you take offence to this but only an old person from the 90's would care that their computer is using either 700mb / 1.6gb out of 16gb of ram or deluding themselves into thinking their computer runs faster with using slightly less of the 16gb. :P :wink:
Apologies if you take offence but you do not know what the frak you are talking about. There are serious Linux geeks using very powerful machines with tiling window managers.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

patrisVII wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:16 pm ...
KDE cons:
Examples?
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I went from KDE to Cinnamon and I'm not looking back. KDE was always hanging on both of my computers :?: And Cinnamon just runs and runs for me
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

As far as the visual interface, I'm getting pretty used to it now, my feeling as a noobie so far is that many different DEs have varied benefits, and that you do give up on some things going from one to another, but you just choose what is the closest to what you need.

For KDE I don't like the menu hierchy as much as Cinnomon as things seem more buried in KDE, but KDE has better wallpaper apps and looks more refined in the way that Windows looks refined.

In the end, they are all good, except maybe Unity or whatever the one in Zorin is called.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

wutsinterweb wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:48 pm For KDE I don't like the menu hierchy
If you right-click the menu icon, you can choose a different menu manager.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
patrisVII

Post by patrisVII »

aes2011 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:01 pm
patrisVII wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:16 pm ...
KDE cons:
Examples?
Setting change - each action is a click (menu scrolls not included and the selection of a change may involve more than one click)

KDE - menu > settings > system settings > major category > sub category > select change > apply

Cinnamon - menu > specific setting > select change

In Plasma, using the Application Menu does save a click (and considerable scrolling) vs the default Application Launcher menu.
Hatiou

Post by Hatiou »

Hi Dear Friends
I switched from Ubuntu to Linux Mint Cinnamon and it feels pretty slick and stable. The number of users by edition is shown below
I am the character of each of these environments, and you can decide for yourself what a better environment
Cinnamon: Uses gtk, traditional layout, uses 3D effects a lot more than Xfce and MATE. It uses GNOME 3 technology.
KDE: Actually called Plasma, KDE is the team behind it. Uses Qt and 3D effect. The most customizable. Can mimic more or less any desktop paradigm. Applications that come with it are powerful but at the cost of heaviness.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”