DEs/Desktop Environments and comparisons to older Windows?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Hoser Rob
Level 11
Level 11

Re: DEs/Desktop Environments and comparisons to older Windows?

Post by Hoser Rob » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:28 am

Marziano wrote:
Hoser Rob wrote: ... though I wouldn't go near Zorin because their support is rubbish ...
But what do you you think of the OS itself? ....
It's just another UBuntu based distro. Those are a dime a dozen, and it's aimed at noobs.

And a distro aimed at beginners with useless support is USELESS. That's why the only distros I recommend to novices are Ubuntu and Mint. If you';re new to Linux you are absolutely going to need good tech support.

Marziano
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Marziano » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:53 pm

Thanks @Hoser Rob for your reply! You are right, good support is invaluable to every newcomer to Linux.
:)
Last edited by Marziano on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." -Marx...
Groucho { Marx

JerryF
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JerryF » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:53 pm

Artim wrote:Xfce is not aimed at children, but several distros that are intended for kids use the Xfce desktop, which is wonderfully configurable, whether for little kids or sophisticated geeks.

The fact that "kids' distros" employ the Xfce desktop is a testament to it's simplicity. Not a statement about it's intent or the competence/skill level of it's users.
I'm sorry, I misread your earlier post. :oops:

After reading it again, I understand now. Again :oops:
Please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line if your problem has been solved. It helps other members.

wutsinterweb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wutsinterweb » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:27 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:
Marziano wrote:
Hoser Rob wrote: ... though I wouldn't go near Zorin because their support is rubbish ...
But what do you you think of the OS itself? ....
It's just another UBuntu based distro. Those are a dime a dozen, and it's aimed at noobs.

And a distro aimed at beginners with useless support is USELESS. That's why the only distros I recommend to novices are Ubuntu and Mint. If you';re new to Linux you are absolutely going to need good tech support.
Y

This I agree with emphatically. Sure, some computer users are smart and can start off with someting like Gentoo or Fedora, but those in my life circle think I'm computer savvy (not enough, that's for sure) and I really needed and benefitted massively from your guys and your help here. The nice thing is you all help me LEARN. And almost everyone here is kind. That's quite important.
I'm just a student, your guidance is appreciated.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:53 pm

wutsinterweb wrote:AM I right that Mate is pronounced "MahhTayy", or is it pronounced "mayett"?
Mah-Tay
Where does the name come from?
The name “MATE”, pronounced Ma-Tay, comes from yerba maté, a species of holly native to subtropical South America. Its leaves contain caffeine and are used to make infusions and a beverage called mate.
http://mate-desktop.org/
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:03 pm

wutsinterweb wrote: This I agree with emphatically. Sure, some computer users are smart and can start off with someting like Gentoo or Fedora, but those in my life circle think I'm computer savvy (not enough, that's for sure) and I really needed and benefitted massively from your guys and your help here. The nice thing is you all help me LEARN. And almost everyone here is kind. That's quite important.
WELL SAID!! :D

BG405
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BG405 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:52 am

Another vote for Xfce, although I think KDE Plasma 4 comes pretty close to the classic Windows UI when you select the classic menu (from what I remember, it's been a while since I've seen a running instance of either xp or 7). Plasma 5 less so. I haven't tried LM18.x Xfce yet.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Acer D255E 2GB - LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB305 - LM17.3 Xfce 32---------------------K7S5A Athlon 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”