DEs/Desktop Environments and comparisons to older Windows?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: DEs/Desktop Environments and comparisons to older Windows?

Post by Hoser Rob »

Marziano wrote:
Hoser Rob wrote: ... though I wouldn't go near Zorin because their support is rubbish ...
But what do you you think of the OS itself? ....
It's just another UBuntu based distro. Those are a dime a dozen, and it's aimed at noobs.

And a distro aimed at beginners with useless support is USELESS. That's why the only distros I recommend to novices are Ubuntu and Mint. If you';re new to Linux you are absolutely going to need good tech support.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Thanks @Hoser Rob for your reply! You are right, good support is invaluable to every newcomer to Linux.
:)
Last edited by Sir Charles on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Artim wrote:Xfce is not aimed at children, but several distros that are intended for kids use the Xfce desktop, which is wonderfully configurable, whether for little kids or sophisticated geeks.

The fact that "kids' distros" employ the Xfce desktop is a testament to it's simplicity. Not a statement about it's intent or the competence/skill level of it's users.
I'm sorry, I misread your earlier post. :oops:

After reading it again, I understand now. Again :oops:
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Marziano wrote:
Hoser Rob wrote: ... though I wouldn't go near Zorin because their support is rubbish ...
But what do you you think of the OS itself? ....
It's just another UBuntu based distro. Those are a dime a dozen, and it's aimed at noobs.

And a distro aimed at beginners with useless support is USELESS. That's why the only distros I recommend to novices are Ubuntu and Mint. If you';re new to Linux you are absolutely going to need good tech support.
Y

This I agree with emphatically. Sure, some computer users are smart and can start off with someting like Gentoo or Fedora, but those in my life circle think I'm computer savvy (not enough, that's for sure) and I really needed and benefitted massively from your guys and your help here. The nice thing is you all help me LEARN. And almost everyone here is kind. That's quite important.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

wutsinterweb wrote:AM I right that Mate is pronounced "MahhTayy", or is it pronounced "mayett"?
Mah-Tay
Where does the name come from?
The name “MATE”, pronounced Ma-Tay, comes from yerba maté, a species of holly native to subtropical South America. Its leaves contain caffeine and are used to make infusions and a beverage called mate.
http://mate-desktop.org/
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

wutsinterweb wrote: This I agree with emphatically. Sure, some computer users are smart and can start off with someting like Gentoo or Fedora, but those in my life circle think I'm computer savvy (not enough, that's for sure) and I really needed and benefitted massively from your guys and your help here. The nice thing is you all help me LEARN. And almost everyone here is kind. That's quite important.
WELL SAID!! :D
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Another vote for Xfce, although I think KDE Plasma 4 comes pretty close to the classic Windows UI when you select the classic menu (from what I remember, it's been a while since I've seen a running instance of either xp or 7). Plasma 5 less so. I haven't tried LM18.x Xfce yet.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”