DEs/Desktop Environments and comparisons to older Windows?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

DEs/Desktop Environments and comparisons to older Windows?

Post by wutsinterweb »

To an Windows XP user, what DE would be most suited for transition as far as similarity? To Vista and 7?

So far I only know Cinnamon and KDE as I am using them. I tried gnome back in the old days briefly but don't know where it is these days. There are plenty of sites that talk about the different DEs, but as far as "start" menus and navigation, I'm not clear in my mind what DEs are more alike the various Windows Environments and would, thusly, be best suited for those that prefer a given version. I'd also include 98SE.

It seems to me that Cinnamon is close enough to 7 to be pleasant for those that like 7, and nothing is really like 10. Would XP be similar to XFCE? Would Vista be kind of like KDE? It's not really that I want to give the impression that my objective is to be similar to Windows, but that some people like a particular feel and knowing Linux DEs being able to expect if they will like a given feel. There may be times when offering up the wrong DE could actually discourage someone from sticking to trying Linux out past a day or a few hours, most low tech Windows users are pretty skittish as it is.

I have relatives and friends that are afraid to even try it, and I don't know if it is my fault (lack of trust in me, thinking I'm too much of a tech freak and they aren't...) but Some of them really NEED to try Linux, it would make a huge difference for a few of them. If I had money, I'd just give them systems, but I don't. I have 4 people right now that would so much beneift if they'd just give it a chance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: DEs/Desktop Environments and comparisons to older Windows?

Post by BigEasy »

wutsinterweb wrote:To an Windows XP user, what DE would be most suited for transition as far as similarity?
Mate
To Vista and 7?
Cinnamon
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

XFCE!!! The best desktop environment around.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

If you would like to try another Linux distribution which gives you a Windows-like feel right out of the box, you could take a look at Zorin OS.
It has a Windows-like graphical user interface and many programs similar to those found in Windows. Zorin OS also comes with an application that lets users run many Windows programs. The distribution's ultimate goal is to provide a Linux alternative to Windows and let Windows users enjoy all the features of Linux without complications.
https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=zorin
Zorin Appearance lets you change the desktop to resemble the environment you're familiar with, whether it's Windows, macOS or Linux.
https://zorinos.com/
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I agree with BigEasy, however there's so little in it that I think any Windows user (apart from maybe someone with only Windows 8 experience) would be comfortable with XFCE, Cinnamon or Mate. XFCE has a few less options, but there's nothing in it between the last two beyond aesthetics.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

I not mention XFCE just because XFCE is very easy customizable beyond recognition it is same XFCE, and because of it XFCE is very easy breakable as well. Normal XP users used to the interface that is nailed to screen. Mate is better for them.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

AM I right that Mate is pronounced "MahhTayy", or is it pronounced "mayett"?
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
Nate

Post by Nate »

If using Mint, I'd also say Xfce. After a fresh install, without fiddling it around to get it how you want it, it has a single panel that looks and feels quite a bit like the Windows experience. You have a whisker menu that doesn't feel too far removed from a Start menu, icons just right of it, window panels next and notifications/clock at the far right. It's very customisable, but someone who likes a Windows like feel could just leave it as is and be pretty happy with it. That's not always the case with other distros though, I've seen some pretty diverse takes on on the default fresh install experience with Xfce.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Would say XFCE as well. Not only for looks, but stability as well. XP was the most stable windex product. Xfce has the best stability of the DE's.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

You might be able to find a Linux DE that looks like Windows ... though I wouldn't go near Zorin because their support is rubbish ... no Linux DE is going to work like Windows. Which you'd find out the ffirst time you tried to go to the C: drive for example. The Linux file system isn't based on physical drives. I've seen inquiries like this many times and I think it's a dead end.

All DEs basically do the same thing anyway. Just dl all the Mint DE editions (torrenting is best) and try them booted from a USB stick.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

wutsinterweb wrote:AM I right that Mate is pronounced "MahhTayy"
Yes you are.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Artim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Artim »

+1 for Xfce. Most of the Linux distros that are target at Windows users, use the Xfce desktop. It s also the default in most distros aimed at children. Simple, stays out of the way, and VERY configurable.

Another plus is that Xfce development is slow and steady. No major rewrites and huge sudden changes that make you have to start learning all over again (Gnome3, KDE/Plasma).
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Hoser Rob wrote: ... though I wouldn't go near Zorin because their support is rubbish ...
But what do you you think of the OS itself?
I have only tried it "live" for a very short time, so I can't express any informed opinion about Zorin but I have been thinking to put it on a disk one of these days to see how it works and how it feels.
After all, Zorin too is based on Ubuntu LTS, like Mint is, but I guess there is more to what a good OS is all about.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Marziano wrote:I have only tried it "live" for a very short time, so I can't express any informed opinion about Zorin but I have been thinking to put it on a disk one of these days to see how it works and how it feels.
I tried it and did not like it much. As soon as you get below the surface, you feel the lack of all the polished and friendly Minty tools.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Moem wrote:As soon as you get below the surface, you feel the lack of all the polished and friendly Minty tools.
I guess that's what makes Mint such Minty a distribution it is :D
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Artim wrote:+1 for Xfce. Most of the Linux distros that are target at Windows users, use the Xfce desktop. It s also the default in most distros aimed at children. Simple, stays out of the way, and VERY configurable.

Another plus is that Xfce development is slow and steady. No major rewrites and huge sudden changes that make you have to start learning all over again (Gnome3, KDE/Plasma).
XFCE is aimed at children?
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

JerryF wrote:
Artim wrote:+1 for Xfce. Most of the Linux distros that are target at Windows users, use the Xfce desktop. It s also the default in most distros aimed at children. Simple, stays out of the way, and VERY configurable.

No, Xfce is a great DE on it's own and quite suitable for everyone. I've been using it for long time now without any issues no matter what distro I used.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

whm1974 wrote:
JerryF wrote:
Artim wrote: ...
It s also the default in most distros aimed at children...
No, Xfce is a great DE on it's own and quite suitable for everyone. I've been using it for long time now without any issues no matter what distro I used.
whm1974,

Thanks so much for the response. I was actually trying to be facetious because the way he described XFCE.

Again, thanks.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

Time for me to check out XFCE and Mate.
Artim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Artim »

Xfce is not aimed at children, but several distros that are intended for kids use the Xfce desktop, which is wonderfully configurable, whether for little kids or sophisticated geeks.

The fact that "kids' distros" employ the Xfce desktop is a testament to it's simplicity. Not a statement about it's intent or the competence/skill level of it's users.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”