Going Single Site Browser crazy with Chrome

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tomcashen

Going Single Site Browser crazy with Chrome

Post by tomcashen »

I know. I can't help myself. I use Chrome. The first thing I do after a fresh Cinnamon install is use Firefox to download Chrome.

After looking into Ice-ssb for single site browsing, I could not quite get it working. During this quest, though, I came to learn that any page in Chrome can be assigned a single site browser by clicking Customize (upper right) > More Tools > Add to Desktop.

In Cinnamon, and maybe other DEs, this also adds an item in the 'Chrome Apps' Category of the Menu. From here, I can add to panel. I have been deleting the desktop launcher immediately and the other items stick. I like a clean desktop.

I now have panel icons for Hulu, Netflix, Kindle Cloud Reader, and...(ducking) Office online. And Facebook. :)

I anticipate the question I ask my self. Why bother with Linux if you are going to pollute it with all this proprietary stuff? Well, my freedom loving friends, I use a lot of these tools in everyday life, and have for years. The thing is; counter to the lingering meme that says "Linux on the desktop sucks," LM Cinnamon is a far superior desktop OS than windows ever was. I can completely install Cinnamon from scratch with updates in 33 minutes. Win 7 is 6 hours. When I have to boot into Windows, I can't wait to get back into Mint.

Having lived with a chromebook for a couple years, this SSB feature of Chrome gives me the tools I am used to without offending the Linux environment too much.

Freedom, after all, means freedom to visit the evil empires from time to time, no?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Going Single Site Browser crazy with Chrome

Post by Moem »

Hey, there are no rules against this. You do you. :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”