32 Bit System

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BaltyRaven

Re: 32 Bit System

Post by BaltyRaven »

JerryF wrote:
BaltyRaven wrote:
JerryF wrote: Your last statement isn't making sense. Most of the chipsets in 64-bit computers can handle 4 to 16 GB RAM.
I said at least. Sometimes my words are mixed up.
You meant "at least", but wrote "no more than". That's why I was confused. :wink:
I was probably thinking of the limitations of 32-bit modern systems as well, since most people would have 512MB-3GB of RAM installed on their computers.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

BaltyRaven wrote:
JerryF wrote:
BaltyRaven wrote:
I said at least. Sometimes my words are mixed up.
You meant "at least", but wrote "no more than". That's why I was confused. :wink:
I was probably thinking of the limitations of 32-bit modern systems as well, since most people would have 512MB-3GB of RAM installed on their computers.
Ah! :D
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I haven't used a 32bit System for over 6 years...it was great back in the day but that day is long gone.

People say Mint runs well on 32bit but it runs so much better and faster on 64bit. Multitasking is a breeze...I can be downloading something on several VMs and surfing the Net all at the same time...of cause my Desktop has 16GBs of DDR3 Ram...something you can't do on 32bit as it's limited to 4GB of Ram which is DDR or DDR2.
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

opensourceanonymous wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:04 pm Hope to be in the right place.... I would just like to thank Linux Mint for still supporting the 32 Bit architecture. Old computers can still be used and not thrown away because of Windows not being supported on them.
Hello all 32 Bit-System users

just wanted to start something similar. Fortunately I found this already existing topic. Many thanks also to the system and kernel developers. I enjoy repairing old computers and reuse so-called electrical and electronic waste. And such parts sometimes need 32-bit systems - such as mine...

Ironically, my Netbook with the old Atom processor is probably one of the safest devices - because it's simply too stupid for many tasks. Although always primitive and cheap (the price in 2010 was 299 sFr) - and now completely outdated, Mint Mate 18.3 runs perfectly on this device.
Much better than the original Windows 7.
For the Internet, even with all the multimedia stuff, the device is good enough - why throw it away?

To increase my pleasure: Due to a misunderstanding, I made the kernel update to Linux 4.13.0-32. :(
Now this thing is faster than before and the CPU load is lower... :mrgreen:
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

absque fenestris wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:13 pm Hello all 32 Bit-System users

just wanted to start something similar. Fortunately I found this already existing topic. Many thanks also to the system and kernel developers. I enjoy repairing old computers and reuse so-called electrical and electronic waste. And such parts sometimes need 32-bit systems - such as mine...

Ironically, my Netbook with the old Atom processor is probably one of the safest devices - because it's simply too stupid for many tasks. Although always primitive and cheap (the price in 2010 was 299 sFr) - and now completely outdated, Mint Mate 18.3 runs perfectly on this device.
Much better than the original Windows 7.
For the Internet, even with all the multimedia stuff, the device is good enough - why throw it away?

To increase my pleasure: Due to a misunderstanding, I made the kernel update to Linux 4.13.0-32. :(
Now this thing is faster than before and the CPU load is lower... :mrgreen:
Hi from a fellow 32-bit netbook user! My Lenovo Ideapad S10 has the same Atom N270 processor as your Acer, and Mint 18.3 Xfce runs pretty well on it. Although it's outclassed by most of my other machines, I'm just glad there's still an option to keep it useful these days, well after its original OS (Win XP) went EOL. It's handy as a vacation/travel device-- just fast enough for checking emails, Google searches for restaurants and hotels, retro gaming and watching movie files, yet cheap enough that I wouldn't be distraught if something happened to it on the road.
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

...yet cheap enough that I wouldn't be distraught if something happened to it on the road.
Hello dXTC
My Acer belonged to a customer and was broken for 2 or 3 years in some closet. Another customer brought me a broken HP netbook. Acer screwed, HP glued. The SSD and the RAM is from the HP.

Waste recycling is - fun :mrgreen:

I see in your signature that you also work with OSX. Various "broken" Mac's delight friends and relatives. Of course with Linux Mint in the Virtualbox.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

whm1974 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:45 pm
Tomgin5 wrote:Big laugh today. The Microsoft robocaller called today warning that my Office 365 license is expiring. 3 times today. I usuallly just hang up but this time I started whooping and hollering "Hooray!!", Never had it and never will.
4 32 bit laptops with with LM 18.3 Cinnamon running. Just as fast as a dozen 64 bit machines running 64 bit with similar CPU's. Just all single core on the 32 bit.
I wonder how many people fell for that scam?
I repair computers on the side. Mostly older seniors will do this. I've fixed a bunch of them :twisted: I would like to put my hands around the throats of these criminals
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

whm1974 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:38 pm Not to start a flame war or upset anyone, but considering that low end and refurbished 64-bit systems are fairly cheap, why continue to stick with such old hardware? Even applications are starting to drop 32-bit versions or have already done so.
We gotta admit Linux is also famous for sheltering old PCs as old as probably Win98 ones.
In fact, many distros are dedicated for such as if they'll never go away.
You're right, though, there are refurbished 64-bit PCs that can be had for perhaps one week pay.
oxygenfarm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oxygenfarm »

"Looks like tech companies want to phase out 32bit systems because of the 2038 year bug ... "
By then I'll be 105 and still using Mint.
oxygenfarm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oxygenfarm »

"I repair computers on the side. Mostly older seniors will do this. I've fixed a bunch of them'
Me too. Currently 'my' 85-year-old parts still function....as does a tennis racket bought at a thrift store for $0.99
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

rick gen wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:21 pm
whm1974 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:38 pm Not to start a flame war or upset anyone, but considering that low end and refurbished 64-bit systems are fairly cheap, why continue to stick with such old hardware? Even applications are starting to drop 32-bit versions or have already done so.
We gotta admit Linux is also famous for sheltering old PCs as old as probably Win98 ones.
You're right, though, there are refurbished 64-bit PCs that can be had for perhaps one week pay.
And some of these refurbs have really decent specs at the prices they sell for.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

32 bit OSes and software are still useful. I use several old pcs and laptops for work and entetairnment, some of them really NEED 32 bit either because the processor cannot support 64 bit or because performance is better with 32 bit (for example, I have an old Athlon 64x2 2GB ram desktop pc, with decent performance with Debian Xfce 32 bit; I've tried with a 64 bit distro, but was noticeably slower).
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

xfrank wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:38 pm 32 bit OSes and software are still useful. I use several old pcs and laptops for work and entetairnment, some of them really NEED 32 bit either because the processor cannot support 64 bit or because performance is better with 32 bit (for example, I have an old Athlon 64x2 2GB ram desktop pc, with decent performance with Debian Xfce 32 bit; I've tried with a 64 bit distro, but was noticeably slower).
Well to be honest, 64-bit systems should have at least 4GB if not 8GB of memory. And an SSD is highly recommended as well.
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

whm1974 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:16 pm
rick gen wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:21 pm
And some of these refurbs have really decent specs at the prices they sell for.
I just bought something similar like this months ago for US$150 = $190 Canadian.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp ... 58081.aspx?

Probably 10x better that your pre-historic PC. ;)
Last edited by rick gen on Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

rick gen wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:55 pm
whm1974 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:41 pm
xfrank wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:38 pm 32 bit OSes and software are still useful. I use several old pcs and laptops for work and entetairnment, some of them really NEED 32 bit either because the processor cannot support 64 bit or because performance is better with 32 bit (for example, I have an old Athlon 64x2 2GB ram desktop pc, with decent performance with Debian Xfce 32 bit; I've tried with a 64 bit distro, but was noticeably slower).
Well to be honest, 64-bit systems should have at least 4GB if not 8GB of memory. And an SSD is highly recommended as well.
I just bought something similar like this months ago for US$150 = $190 Canadian.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp ... 58081.aspx?

Probably 10x better that your pre-historic PC. ;)
I know a lot of folks would be happy to have this.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

After kernel upgrade I had to reduce the mouse speed.
This stupid thing is just great - really!
:mrgreen:
Ohm Sweet Ohm

Post by Ohm Sweet Ohm »

I''ve recently installed Linux Mint 18.3 Mate 32bit onto a laptop that was running Windows Vista 32bit.

I've set it all up over the last few days and now I discover that my CPU is 64bit capable.

I was going to leave it as my sister will mainly be using this laptop for browsing, but I've read that 32bit versions of Linux Mint is not as secure against 'Meltdown' and 'Spectre':
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=261343#p1412119

I am now going to have to install the 64bit version and start again, unless someone can convince me I don't have to.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”