Libreoffice normal vs flatpak

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stavpup
Level 1
Level 1

Libreoffice normal vs flatpak

Post by stavpup »

Side by side the normal version (left and up) and the flatpak version (right and bottom).

First thing I notice is that the theme is different (icons etc). Versions are not the same as the normal is 5.1.6.2. and the flatpak is 5.4.4.2.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BaltyRaven

Re: Libreoffice normal vs flatpak

Post by BaltyRaven »

I choose LibreOffice because it’s already installed on my Linux Mint computer and it’s a free imitator of Micrsoft Office.
Rayland-BH

Post by Rayland-BH »

If your question is about the general difference between normal and flatpak installations, there is a great summary in the Linux Mint blog from their October 2017 Monthly News:

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3418

In a nutshell, the version of LibreOffice in the software repositories (the normal version) is the one Linux Mint has verified both works on their platform and does not conflict with other software in their repositories. However, it is not the latest version, as you pointed out. Flatpak is a way to install newer versions of software without interfering with other software that may depend on older or incompatible packages.

So, in essence, if you want to run the latest version of something, and you don't mind the added complexity of using Flatpak, it is now an option in LM 18.3. If running older, but long term supported versions of software is more your speed, then go with the one in the official repository. I prefer the later option, personally, but the choice of using your computer they way you want is the essence of Linux.

If your question is about which version of LibreOffice you should run, I am afraid I will be of no help, as I do not know the differences well enough to give you advice.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...the visual difference is because the pre-installed version comes accompanied with a custom-made & mint-specific theme, libreoffice-style-mint...
stavpup
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stavpup »

I think that the theory is different, the Flatpak (or snap) version of the software will run without conflicting because it will have its dependencies bundled together in a package regardless of the main system :roll: :roll: :wink:
Rayland-BH wrote:If your question is about the general difference between normal and flatpak installations, there is a great summary in the Linux Mint blog from their October 2017 Monthly News:

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3418

In a nutshell, the version of LibreOffice in the software repositories (the normal version) is the one Linux Mint has verified both works on their platform and does not conflict with other software in their repositories. However, it is not the latest version, as you pointed out. Flatpak is a way to install newer versions of software without interfering with other software that may depend on older or incompatible packages.

So, in essence, if you want to run the latest version of something, and you don't mind the added complexity of using Flatpak, it is now an option in LM 18.3. If running older, but long term supported versions of software is more your speed, then go with the one in the official repository. I prefer the later option, personally, but the choice of using your computer they way you want is the essence of Linux.

If your question is about which version of LibreOffice you should run, I am afraid I will be of no help, as I do not know the differences well enough to give you advice.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

stavpup wrote:I think that the theory is different, the Flatpak (or snap) version of the software will run without conflicting because it will have its dependencies bundled together in a package regardless of the main system :roll: :roll: :wink:
That is not always true for Flatpaks. I wanted to install the Flatpak for several programs I wanted to take for a test drive - I have been surprised at the number of them that need to install dependencies outside the Flatpak.

I have not found a Snap or AppImage that installs dependencies outside the container.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

Hi,

There's also a third option, if want the latest version you can use the official PPA, this will upgrade the older pre-installed version supplied with Mint.

Launch Terminal

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa

apt update
Update Manager should then show an update for LibreOffice to version 5.4.4.2. You'll receive notifications as soon as newer versions are added, such as LibreOffice 6.0.0

--

If want to add the default LibreOffice theme, as seen in the Flatpak and Windows versions, its called Tango, perform the following...

apt install libreoffice-style-tango
Next time LibreOffice is launched you should see the Tango theme.

Must admit, doing the above is one of the first things I do after a clean Mint installation. :)

--

PS: After installing the Tango theme, if decide you want to switch back to the Mint theme, it's easy to do, navigating to the following...
LibreOffice -> Tools -> Options -> View -> Icon style:
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

Further to my last post...

As of today, using the PPA, LibreOffice 6..0.0.3 now replaces either, version 5.4.4.2, or older version supplied with Mint. :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”