[SOLVED] Tips and Suggestions for Newbies

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
JerryF
Level 10
Level 10

[SOLVED] Tips and Suggestions for Newbies

Post by JerryF » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:03 pm

Is there anyway to post a sticky for Newbies with tips and suggestions? The reason I ask is that I see situations like this happening from time to time:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=263174&p=1425469#p1425408

One suggestion to Newbies: don't encrypt anything unless it's absolutely necessary.
Last edited by JerryF on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Tips and Suggestions for Newbies

Post by BenTrabetere » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:43 pm

JerryF wrote:Is there anyway to post a sticky for Newbies with tips and suggestions? The reason I ask is that I see situations like this happening from time to time:
Sorry to throw a wet blanket on an otherwise good idea, but I do not think a sticky will prevent situations like this. There is no guarantee the people who need instruction like this will read it. I think it would be a good idea to cover disk encryption in the User Guide, but, again, I doubt people would read it. :x

These stickies are in the Newbies section, and yet the issues continue to be topics for discussion.
Getting Started for Newbies
How to install software on Linux Mint
Why do I need to type my password to perform admin tasks?

Pjotr lists his Easy Linux Tips Project sites in his sig. He is a frequent poster, several people in the forums mention those sites in their responses, and it is in xenopeek's Getting Started for Newbies sticky. And yet....

You can lead a horse to water, but don't push it in because a wet horse stinks.

JerryF
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JerryF » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:19 pm

You're absolutely right!

:(
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BenTrabetere » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:52 pm

JerryF wrote:You're absolutely right!
There are times when I really hate when that happens. :)

I am relieved you weren't offended by my response. It is a good idea, and I think a sticky for disk encryption might be helpful for those who respond to people who have a problem with an encrypted disk.

I think it disk encryption should be covered in the User Guide (for those eccentric few who RTFM), and perhaps Pjotr will add a section to his Easy Linux Tips.

:oops: My apologies to karlchen for attributing Getting Started for Newbies to xenopeek.

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ozo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:02 pm

As an experienced user we can link to the tips when a Newbie or anyone has a problem instead of rewriting the solution so the tips should be designed with that purpose in mind.

Much of that is outdated as Mint evolves so rapidly but much is valid. Also, with the advent of LMC 18.3 Many of the earlier problems do not happen. You can see this by scrolling through the forum posts. Many of the posts are problems that might happen no matter what os is used so we are responding to new computer users with a Linux os. The actual newbie Linux problems do not seem as prevalent as I remember just one year ago.

stormryder
Level 3
Level 3

Post by stormryder » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:52 pm

JerryF wrote:One suggestion to Newbies: don't encrypt anything unless it's absolutely necessary.
Why doesn't the user deserve to have a protected system?
I don't really like the idea that my stuff is wide open to all, but I got to enter a password to even change my GPU.
Apparently the user is the least important being involved with linux.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:35 am

JerryF wrote:Is there anyway to post a sticky for Newbies with tips and suggestions? The reason I ask is that I see situations like this happening from time to time:

One suggestion to Newbies: don't encrypt anything unless it's absolutely necessary.
I doubt any would read it. The solutions to the most mundane problems are readilly available via a simple search, which is rarely undertaken. I think part of our job is hand-holding, so I don't believe the idea would be all that successful.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:58 am

catweazel wrote:Stay away from Arch and their forum.
*FIXED*

:P

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:21 am

Lucap wrote:
*FIXED*

Except I didn't write that.

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:23 am

catweazel wrote:
Lucap wrote:
*FIXED*

Except I didn't write that.
Which is why i made the Quip of fixing it as it's the complete opposite example of being a Newbie hand holding friendly place.

It was never meant to be a slide splitting funny and even worse when you have you explain it. :D

JerryF
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JerryF » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:05 am

stormryder wrote:
JerryF wrote:One suggestion to Newbies: don't encrypt anything unless it's absolutely necessary.
Why doesn't the user deserve to have a protected system?
I didn't say that at all.

JerryF
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JerryF » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:15 am

catweazel wrote:

I doubt any would read it. The solutions to the most mundane problems are readilly available via a simple search, which is rarely undertaken. I think part of our job is hand-holding, so I don't believe the idea would be all that successful.
You're right, a lot of newbies don't research or read the guide now.

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hoser Rob » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:44 am

JerryF wrote:
catweazel wrote:

You're right, a lot of newbies don't research or read the guide now.
Yup, it's a noble but doomed idea.

The first thing I'd write in such a guide would be that with Linux you have to actually read directions, not just sort of read them. But no one would read it.

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] Tips and Suggestions for Newbies

Post by Ozo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:44 am

The reply's to your post are pretty negative but ever the optimist I would say put the darn sticky up. You really have no idea how many people read the instructions first. There are people observing our forum for months prior to taking the plunge. And like I said if it is up I can direct folks there with a link. I know some people refuse to submit links as they resent handholding but not me.

So one positive vote for your idea.

JerryF
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JerryF » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:59 am

Ozo wrote:The reply's to your post are pretty negative but ever the optimist I would say put the darn sticky up. You really have no idea how many people read the instructions first. There are people observing our forum for months prior to taking the plunge. And like I said if it is up I can direct folks there with a link. I know some people refuse to submit links as they resent handholding but not me.

So one positive vote for your idea.
Thanks so much. Your reply and the others are appreciated.

I look at the other replies, not so much as negative, but eye-opening.

P.S. I don't think I have the capability to create a post as a sticky.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:44 am

JerryF wrote: You're right, a lot of newbies don't research or read the guide now.
What guide?

:mrgreen:

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:44 am

When learning a Foreign language does reading a guide in a Foreign language help when you are already confused?

Technobabble
Technobabble (a portmanteau of technology and babble), also called technospeak, is a form of jargon that consists of buzzwords, esoteric language, specialized technical terms, or technical slang that is impossible to understand for the listener.
Last edited by Lucap on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:54 am

Lucap wrote:When learning a Foreign language does reading a guide in a Foreign language help when your already confused?
It shouldn't matter. The trick to learning a foreign language is to think in that language. If you're not up to par in the thinking department then it won't be any different :roll:

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:58 am

catweazel wrote:
Lucap wrote:When learning a Foreign language does reading a guide in a Foreign language help when your already confused?
It shouldn't matter. The trick to learning a foreign language is to think in that language. If you're not up to par in the thinking department then it won't be any different :roll:
What absolute crap :P

How can you think in a subject you have no knowledge of?

You ask for help and are told to read what you can't understand which is the reason why you asked in the first place , so to suggest they need to think is moronic.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:09 am

Lucap wrote:
catweazel wrote:
What absolute crap :P

How can you think in a subject you have no knowledge of?

You ask for help and are told to read what you can't understand which is the reason why you asked in the first place , so to suggest they need to think is moronic.
I was replying to your question on its face. Unlike you, I did not extend its meaning by adding other ideas that were unstated.

Bye.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”