Timeshift functionalities implemented in Mint itself?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sir Charles

Timeshift functionalities implemented in Mint itself?

Post by Sir Charles »

This is just a thought, not even sure if it make sense but couldn't the functionalities offered by Timeshift be implemented as an inherent part of the OS itself. I mean, personally, I am a bit hesitant of using TS when I come to the Disclaimer on the last screen before going through with the restore process.It is not very assuring when it comes to such an important matter as restoring your system is.
Timeshift.png
This means that only the end user is to be blamed for having used the tool; no one else would take responsibility IF something goes wrong. Were it an inherent functionality of the OS itself, then I think it would be a completely different matter. I mean if Mint had come with such a disclaimer, most probably I wouldn't have put it on a disk and use it every day. Or is there such a disclaimer for mint as well? If there is, I have totally missed it.

This is a part of "About Us" (https://linuxmint.com/about.php)
The purpose of Linux Mint is to produce a modern, elegant and comfortable operating system which is both powerful and easy to use.
. It works out of the box, with full multimedia support and is extremely easy to use.
. It's safe and reliable. Thanks to a conservative approach to software updates, a unique Update Manager and the robustness of its Linux architecture, Linux Mint requires very little maintenance (no regressions, no antivirus, no anti-spyware...etc).
which I choose to interpret as "some sort" of assurance as to the reliable functioning of the OS.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Boot hang after Timeshift restore

Post by Cosmo. »

Marziano, if this gives you a concern, than you may not use any open source software or any other freeware at all. You will find something like that everywhere. Read in filesystem /usr/share/doc/mint-common/copyright: Even 2 places: the 3rd paragraph and the last one.

This disclaimer is absolutely normal.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

This is what it says in /usr/share/doc/mint-common/copyright:
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
"AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR
A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT
HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
Of course, this is a "disclaimer". Honestly, I don't recall to have seen it on the pages of https://linuxmint.com.
In my opinion this should be well visible along with the other information in the "About Us" section or download page.
If you hadn't pointed it out to me, I would never have dug that deep in /usr/share/doc.

You could regard this post as a "disclaimer" for my previous post.

PS. What about implementing the functionality of the TS as a part of the OS itself. Would that be feasible or desirable?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

@Marziano:
Honestly: Can you imagine, that a software developer will be ready or financially in the position to bear the risk, if a user says, that he has lost his data (allegedly or actually) because of a software bug? This would be the death of all open or free of cost software.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Cosmo. wrote:@Marziano:
Honestly: Can you imagine, that a software developer will be ready or financially in the position to bear the risk, if a user says, that he has lost his data (allegedly or actually) because of a software bug? This would be the death of all open or free of cost software.
Frankly, I admit that I expressed myself from an exclusively user-centric point of view forgetting what the open and free software and its developing conditions are all about.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Timeshift functionalities implemented in Mint itself?

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Split off into a new topic. Theorizing about possible new features of Mint is out of place in a support topic.
Please remember that splitting threads and moving posts is a lot more work for the mods than it is for you to simply start a new thread when you find yourself thinking about things that start with 'What if...' And you'll get more interested readers as well.
Thanks for understanding!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Sir Charles

Re: Timeshift functionalities implemented in Mint itself?

Post by Sir Charles »

Moem wrote:
By all means, if you think the idea is worth further discussion, sure. It was just a short exchange, and honestly, I had already forgotten about it. But maybe some other people could come along and give their own point of view. My initial thought was to have a "recovery" option in the "settings" where you could set the parameters for restoring the system.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”