Forum has been upgraded (report issues here)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Forum has been upgraded (report issues here)

Post by Portreve »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:06 amEarlier today we did a major forum upgrade.
Hey xenopeek, how about this? Just shrink it to fit. Leave the swatches deliberately in color so it makes it obvious. Feel free to otherwise mod it as necessary or desired.

I created it, and I fully authorize its use here.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Portreve wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:18 amHey xenopeek, how about this?
Something that doesn't fit with the rest of the theme at all seems like a bad idea. I like the idea of a palette, but this one doesn't match the rest.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Once you change the color to say, Magenta it will fit right in. Green, not so much. :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Schultz wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:09 pmI'm getting two icons partially blocking the "Search this topic" bar. (Flat icons . . . I hate flat icons.)
This should be fixed now. The theme adjustments are active on the server. You may have to press Ctrl+F5 on a page that has the search box to force a theme refresh from your end. In the testing that I did the search box now perfectly sizes up and down with the buttons next to it.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Portreve wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:27 amIt's present, actually (my previous comment was in error) but it's not really consistent. You have function buttons for everything else, but a drop-down menu for it. It's serviceable, but not really ideal.
Sorry, I thought you meant the buttons to size the page text up/down (we had buttons for that in the past), not the font size to use in the post edit screen.

The buttons and dropdown are inherited from prosilver theme. These aren't images; these are glyphs from the webfont FontAwesome.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Cosmo. wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:53 am I noticed a little glitch after the upgrade, if I reply by quoting another post:
Before the upgrade the cursor or the new text had been set immediately after the quote by pressing ctrl-end. Now the forum software inserts an additional and superfluous new line between the quote and the end-position, which costs after submitting some additional vertical space. So I have to press after ctrl-end at first the backspace key before I start writing.
I dug through the phpBB code and indeed it does add an extra newline after replying with a quote. I've removed that extra newline so it should work as before now. I don't know if this is a bug or conscious change in phpBB. No guarantees it will be as easy to change in future phpBB versions.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

An excellent job. Proof that web pages can be updated without making them abominable to view on a normal PC or laptop screen, i.e. huge banners, headline fonts and all that whitespace. Many don't quite fit the monitor resolutions any more, this includes some Linux sites and forums. For those sites there's Reader View, I'm glad this site hasn't become one of them. It's really appreciated! 8)

For the link to jump to the original post, maybe a more contrasting colour will help, or could a pale box be put under it?
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

xenopeek wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:36 pm I dug through the phpBB code and indeed it does add an extra newline after replying with a quote. I've removed that extra newline so it should work as before now. I don't know if this is a bug or conscious change in phpBB. No guarantees it will be as easy to change in future phpBB versions.
It is now back at the state before the upgrade and it works fine. Thank you.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

xenopeek wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:36 pm
Cosmo. wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:53 am I noticed a little glitch after the upgrade, if I reply by quoting another post:
Before the upgrade the cursor or the new text had been set immediately after the quote by pressing ctrl-end. Now the forum software inserts an additional and superfluous new line between the quote and the end-position, which costs after submitting some additional vertical space. So I have to press after ctrl-end at first the backspace key before I start writing.
I dug through the phpBB code and indeed it does add an extra newline after replying with a quote. I've removed that extra newline so it should work as before now. I don't know if this is a bug or conscious change in phpBB. No guarantees it will be as easy to change in future phpBB versions.
Oh. Well, alrighty then. :lol:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
revian

Post by revian »

xenopeek,
I logged in yesterday and noticed the site looked a great deal better - different icons and the overall theme looked sharper. Good work!
I haven't seen any problems, but will post here if I run across anything amiss.

Thank you for all of the hard work :D
Penn

Post by Penn »

xenopeek wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:58 pm owser before going to forums.linuxmint.com. Also tested it in a VM with Firefox after deleting the .mozilla directory and on my phone with Firefox Focus (the browser that doesn't store anything). I can't spot anything wrong.

Can you share a screenshot of the issue? And some info please:
  1. What web browser are you using? Include the version if using something not from the repositories.
  2. What extensions are you using with it?
  3. How are you connect to Internet? Are you perhaps behind a caching proxy?
  4. Edit: and as you said this is an issue since Nov 18 or earlier, did anything change on your end around that time because it didn't on the forum side.
I suspect an issue at your end right now.
Edit - Also of note, I read but don't post on at least 5 different forums besides this one and it is only this domain that seems to have this issue for me.

I don't know about Firefox but Chromium has a way of launching for a --temp-profile which has no history or extensions. Firefox does have a safe mode for now extensions only.

Chromium, Chrome and Firefox. Clean profiles with no extensions. Tried with LMDE, Stretch, 18.2 and Windows 10 on different machines and networks using three different ISPs in the Atlanta metro back in december. Two of those networks would never even have a reason to visit the site before so I doubt highly those people (whose computer habits I know very well even if they use Windows) would do so.

The LMDE machine is the only one I tried on all 3 networks using different ISP but still clean profiles for Chromium and Firefox.

One thing has changed since December being the new theme doesn't show up at all for all three browsers on LMDE2 and Stretch and at least Chrome on Windows 10, which I wouldn't be aware of if you didn't ask for a screenshot. But once I visit a single link from what you see in the screenshot the "current" date and theme are correct.

I assumed it has been on the linuxmint.com end but I have considered it might be somewhere in the route between these three networks and linuxmint.com there is a cached page but it is clearly not inside the networks. I haven't thought to use a traceroute or anything like that.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:06 am If you spot any problems with the theme, or the forum functions in general, please report them here or contact me directly. Thanks!
Links have been borked. See this post: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=263775&p=1429924#p1429924

It's been happening only since the upgrade.

Better still, here.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Check again. And yes, I'm working on moving the board away from mixed content warnings and overshot a bit. Taking another approach to only affect images.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Portreve wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:18 am
xenopeek wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:06 amEarlier today we did a major forum upgrade.
Hey xenopeek, how about this? Just shrink it to fit. Leave the swatches deliberately in color so it makes it obvious. Feel free to otherwise mod it as necessary or desired.

I created it, and I fully authorize its use here.
Moem suggested this icon that is available from FontAwesome . Here's what it looks like in action:
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I just did this observation:
When I composed this reply I at first clicked in the thread the quote button to open the edit window. Then I added another quote from the list below of the edit window. In the second case the new features (time of the quote, link to the quote) does not appear. Is this intended? Not really a problem, but I want to point this out.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I can see it happened but I can't reproduce it. Doing reply with quote and then selecting some text of another (or two) other posts and clicking quote to include that text does do the timestamp as well.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

@xenopeek:
After your last reply I did the following:
At first I clicked the quote button besides your post and I got the quote in the edit window with all bells and whistles. So far so good.
Then I clicked the quote button for the same post (yours) from the list below the edit window: This time I got the reduced quote.
Next I quoted the post above by me: Again the reduced version.
Next I quoted a post by catweazel further down and this time I got again the full featured quote.
At last I quoted an older post by you from this thread: Again full featured quote.
Of course I did not submit this test posting, as by content it does not make any sense.

This lets me conclude, that the forum software recognizes, if a post has already been quoted in the same reply or if the quoted post is by the currently writing author? At least this would make some sense to me.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If I do the same thing, it doesn't do that for me. It's a quote with timestamp each time. I can't think of a reason why it would be different for you other than some browser addon interfering with JavaScript.

- When you first click the quote button to reply with quote, the server creates the quote and send the user the edit page with the quote already on it (https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/mas ... .php#L1628 which calls https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/mas ... ls.php#L63).
- When you click on the quote button of another post, while already on the edit page, it uses client side JavaScript to insert the quote (https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/mas ... or.js#L169). The attributes post_id, time and user_id that are added to the quote are actually on the quote button itself. The onclick JavaScript event for the quote button is something like:
onclick="addquote(<post id>, '<username>', 'wrote', {post_id:<post id>,time:<timestamp>,user_id:<user id>});"

While we're on this topic, note that I found why phpBB adds an extra newline after a quote. It does that for quotes longer than 80 characters from version 3.2.0: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/commit/2 ... f7b17aef92. As that shows it's in more places, I've reverted the change I did in only one place.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:22 am If I do the same thing, it doesn't do that for me. It's a quote with timestamp each time. I can't think of a reason why it would be different for you other than some browser addon interfering with JavaScript.
Sounds logical on one side, but on the other side it is not. Yep, I use NoScript (5.1.8.4 in FF EST; JS allowed for the forum). But how can it be explained, that I get (with the test I described above) different results by quoting different posts in the same reply? Assumed a script would be blocked (as said it is not), how can it be blocked and not be blocked at the same time?

Please understand, that my reflections are merely of principle nature (a kind of curiosity); the practical result is not my concern, I can very well live with it. Beyond my curiosity there is not even a not-urgent need to dig deeper into it.
xenopeek wrote:While we're on this topic, note that I found why phpBB adds an extra newline after a quote. It does that for quotes longer than 80 characters from version 3.2.0: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/commit/2 ... f7b17aef92. As that shows it's in more places, I've reverted the change I did in only one place.
Yes; I saw it already, that the new line is back.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Doesn't NoScript also have options to block certain things always regardless of whether JavaScript is allowed on the page? I seem to recall that.

We'll let it rest :wink:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”