Forum has been upgraded (report issues here)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Forum has been upgraded (report issues here)

Post by xenopeek »

wallyUSA wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:01 pm Any way to turn off or block the ads that are now appearing? Using Google Chrome.
There any number of ad blockers you can use. A popular and often recommended one is uBlock Origin. That's available for Google Chrome, Chromium, Opera, Firefox, Firefox for Android, SeaMonkey and even Microsoft Edge and Apple Safari. For Google Chrome you can find it in the Chrome store here https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... phjbkeiagm. Links for other browsers can be found here https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/blob/ ... stallation.

After installing uBlock Origin and reloading the page, ads (on all websites) should be gone. You can disable uBlock Origin for specific websites if you don't mind their ads and/or want to support them. You may find with uBlock Origin on the Linux Mint forums it leaves a, albeit smaller, bar at the top of the page where otherwise ads would have been displayed. You can remove that with the eye dropper tool of uBlock Origin (click on the uBlock Origin icon in your toolbar to access it): https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/ ... #the-tools.

Linux Mint is funded by donations and ads on the website.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

xenopeek wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:02 am Linux Mint is funded by donations and ads on the website.
Asian date being 6000 miles away is small price to pay to keep the forum going. :mrgreen:
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Post by xenopeek » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:02 am

There any number of ad blockers you can use. A popular and often recommended one is uBlock Origin.
Linux Mint is funded by donations and ads on the website.

@xenopeek - Thank you :!:
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-101 Cinn 6.0.4
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Schultz wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:59 pm
xenopeek wrote:
During testing I noticed some oddities with the search bar: if you zoom the page in/out enough the search bar will not grown or shrink in height the same amount as surrounding buttons. I have yet to find a solution for that. As to why it shows so small for you—do you perhaps have a high resolution screen with tiny pixels? Perhaps something odd happens with that.
Yes, I zoom the forum pages ("zoom text only"). Resetting it fixes the problem, but the text is too small for me like that. Is the fault on my end, or the new forum layout?
Okay, after some more testing I can't reproduce this on my end. In fact I can zoom in as much as I want on Firefox and at most the search bar looks to be 1 pixel off in height at some zoom levels. Recalled that I indeed made a change for this already before the upgraded forum went live, that improved how the search bar sizes. I need some more info to delve into this. It may help me perfect how the element is zoomed so I'd appreciate your info.
  1. How do you "zoom text only"?
  2. What web browser are you using?
  3. Can you share your display DPI? If you don't know the DPI, what is your current screen resolution and how many inches is the diagonal of your screen?
That will help me reproduce it.
Penn

Post by Penn »

Not an issue due to the upgrade but an oddity that has existed since November. Go the the home page of forums.linuxmint.com either with a browser that has not been to that site before or a browser that clears (deletes) all data such as cookies between sessions and all the most recent posts in each sub-forum show as Nov. 18 or earlier.

A person coming to this forum for the first time might get the impression this forum is defunct.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Penn wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:49 am Not an issue due to the upgrade but an oddity that has existed since November. Go the the home page of forums.linuxmint.com either with a browser that has not been to that site before or a browser that clears (deletes) all data such as cookies between sessions and all the most recent posts in each sub-forum show as Nov. 18 or earlier.

A person coming to this forum for the first time might get the impression this forum is defunct.
How so? I tested it with Chromium, SeaMonkey, Epiphany and Eolie on my computer after first deleting all history and all cookies, then restarting the browser before going to forums.linuxmint.com. Also tested it in a VM with Firefox after deleting the .mozilla directory and on my phone with Firefox Focus (the browser that doesn't store anything). I can't spot anything wrong.

Can you share a screenshot of the issue? And some info please:
  1. What web browser are you using? Include the version if using something not from the repositories.
  2. What extensions are you using with it?
  3. How are you connect to Internet? Are you perhaps behind a caching proxy?
  4. Edit: and as you said this is an issue since Nov 18 or earlier, did anything change on your end around that time because it didn't on the forum side.
I suspect an issue at your end right now.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:24 pm tenfoot, I think you're looking a the bottom of the page? That is as it is supposed to look. The search bar is only shown to the right of the post reply button at the top of the page.
Oh! you are right. I am :oops:
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

Think I found a bug that wasn't there a few days a go.

When I select a thread we will say half way down the page and read the post and decide to hit the back arrow, it takes you back to the top of the page instead of the location you clicked on the thread. Meaning you have to scroll down to where you first selected the thread.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

sammiev wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:54 pmWhen I select a thread we will say half way down the page and read the post and decide to hit the back arrow, it takes you back to the top of the page instead of the location you clicked on the thread. Meaning you have to scroll down to where you first selected the thread.
I tried the following: visit a topic, scroll about half way down the page, click on a link in a post there, then click back button from where the link took me -- it takes me back where I had scroll to in the topic.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Penn wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:49 am Not an issue due to the upgrade but an oddity that has existed since November. Go the the home page of forums.linuxmint.com either with a browser that has not been to that site before or a browser that clears (deletes) all data such as cookies between sessions and all the most recent posts in each sub-forum show as Nov. 18 or earlier.

UNPLUG your router for about 20 seconds. it will reconnect and refresh the cache
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

xenopeek wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:52 am
  1. How do you "zoom text only"?
  2. What web browser are you using?
  3. Can you share your display DPI? If you don't know the DPI, what is your current screen resolution and how many inches is the diagonal of your screen?
I'll answer #2 first. In order, I use Pale Moon, Basilisk, and Firefox ESR. The problem occurs in all three browsers.
"Zoom text only" is found in "View >> Zoom" in all 3 browsers. Current screen resolution is 1600 x 900. Diagonal screen measurement is listed as 19 inches; actual is 19½ inches. Where can I find the DPI info at?
After writing all this, I just tested and found out that using "Zoom text only" is the culprit. However this is the only webpage that has this problem. Others including other forums don't have this problem. (EDIT: I just tested on another forum and the problem does exist there also, but nowhere near as noticeable as here.) I like to use zoom text only because images can become blurry and ugly if zoomed too much.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Just noticed a glitch with search (from the top banner.) Actually, I suspected something earlier, but have now confirmed this.

I searched "waterfox" (with and without quotes) and only get 2 results from the last 2 years (and only 24 hits total.)

I know there should be many more as I've only installed it in the last month or so from reading recent posts here.

I also tried advanced search but that didn't add any more.

My main browser is Firefox but the same happens for me in Waterfox and Slimjet
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Schultz wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:12 pmI'll answer #2 first. In order, I use Pale Moon, Basilisk, and Firefox ESR. The problem occurs in all three browsers.
"Zoom text only" is found in "View >> Zoom" in all 3 browsers. Current screen resolution is 1600 x 900. Diagonal screen measurement is listed as 19 inches; actual is 19½ inches. Where can I find the DPI info at?
After writing all this, I just tested and found out that using "Zoom text only" is the culprit. However this is the only webpage that has this problem. Others including other forums don't have this problem. (EDIT: I just tested on another forum and the problem does exist there also, but nowhere near as noticeable as here.) I like to use zoom text only because images can become blurry and ugly if zoomed too much.
I'll try and find how/if I can install those on my test system. 1600x900 at 19½" is a regular 94 DPI. I had tested on a 96 DPI screen so it's not an issue with you using a HiDPI screen. I'll do some more testing.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

MrEen wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:15 am Just noticed a glitch with search (from the top banner.) Actually, I suspected something earlier, but have now confirmed this.

I searched "waterfox" (with and without quotes) and only get 2 results from the last 2 years (and only 24 hits total.)

I know there should be many more as I've only installed it in the last month or so from reading recent posts here.
I had a report from prestonR about the same. I'll look into the search indexes.

Edit: I've tweaked the search indexes and think I've solved what was the issue. I find 300+ posts mentioning waterfox now.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Thanks for the fast fix! :D
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

xenopeek wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:47 am
Schultz wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:12 pmI'll answer #2 first. In order, I use Pale Moon, Basilisk, and Firefox ESR. The problem occurs in all three browsers.
I'll try and find how/if I can install those on my test system. 1600x900 at 19½" is a regular 94 DPI. I had tested on a 96 DPI screen so it's not an issue with you using a HiDPI screen. I'll do some more testing.
I think I've fixed it. I've rolled the changes out to this forum but they will take a while to activate as the theme is cached and there's no way to manually force phpBB to rebuild its theme cache. It should do it automatically but it's not documented anywhere when it will do that. I'll check again in a few hours if the theme changes have been activated on the server.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

xenopeek, is the task you're actually doing with the software the reason for the currently really annoying delays in reaction time? Today it is horrible to move through the forum, nearly every time I have to wait endless seconds, if I want to open a thread (whereas navigating through the web in another tab works as usual). 2 or 3 times I did run into the well known Sucuri page (http 502 IIRC).
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:58 am xenopeek, is the task you're actually doing with the software the reason for the currently really annoying delays in reaction time? Today it is horrible to move through the forum, nearly every time I have to wait endless seconds, if I want to open a thread (whereas navigating through the web in another tab works as usual). 2 or 3 times I did run into the well known Sucuri page (http 502 IIRC).
No issues here now. The server was rebooted about 1½ hours ago and that would have caused a ~15 minute downtime. After that the first few pages loaded (board wide, not per user) would have be slow. I've also cleared the cache about 25 minutes ago and that would also have made the first few pages loaded (again board wide, not per user) be slow.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Has phpBB ever got close to using all the server resources as i've seen lots of complaints about vbulletin chewing through ram and falling over?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:50 am
Portreve wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:41 pmHow come font size changing is supported but there's no button for it?
We haven't had buttons for since almost 2 years ago I think. You can use your web browser's controls for page zooming (Ctrl + to zoom in, Ctrl - to zoom out, Ctrl 0 [zero] to reset zoom, or hold down Ctrl and use your mouse' scrollwheel to zoom in/out).
It's present, actually (my previous comment was in error) but it's not really consistent. You have function buttons for everything else, but a drop-down menu for it. It's serviceable, but not really ideal. Moreover, I think the image you're using for color really doesn't make any sense. I had to hover over every button to see if color was even present. Let me put my mind to that issue and see if I can come up with a better image to put on the button.

EDITED: Because I stated something which was incorrect. My bad, sorry!

EDITED AGAIN: Removed uncalled-for snark.
Last edited by Portreve on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”