Don't use UKUU

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Don't use UKUU

Post by Pjotr »

Several times I've noticed that the Ubuntu Kernel Update Utility, or UKUU, is being abused for other purposes than its intended goal, namely testing. So this is a warning: don't abuse it!

It's very easy to bork your system with UKUU:
By default, Ubuntu systems run with the Ubuntu kernels provided by the Ubuntu repositories. However it is handy to be able to test with unmodified upstream kernels to help locate problems in the Ubuntu kernel patches, or to confirm that upstream has fixed a specific issue. To this end we now offer select upstream kernel builds. These kernels are made from unmodified kernel source but using the Ubuntu kernel configuration files. These are then packaged as Ubuntu .deb files for simple installation.

These kernels are not supported and are not appropriate for production use.
Source: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds
You should not assume these kernels will be reliable enough for everyday use. You install them at your own risk. Be aware that as these are pure upstream releases they do not include any Ubuntu-specific drivers or patches, nor any proprietary modules or restricted binary drivers.
Source: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/ukuu ... nel-ubuntu

Even if you know how to boot from an older kernel, in case of kernel failure: you risk losing important work because of an unstable and unreliable kernel.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Thaddeus-maximus

Re: Don't use UKUU

Post by Thaddeus-maximus »

agreed! i have no need to race the Indy 500 when i'd rather spend Saturday mornings at grandmas' house eating cookies. :D
metaphorically speaking of course.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”