What would you use if Mint wasn't available?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

What would you use if Mint wasn't available?

Post by Lucap »

The least amount of input required by me the better so either Ubuntu or Debian for simple application installs.

I find absolutely no pleasure in piddling about editing conf files.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: What would you use if Mint wasn't available?

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have no interest at all in creating a desktop from scratch.

that is exactly why I refused to use Linux until Mint Cinnamon arrived.

I have looked at Mate, have it loaded under Virtualbox, just so I can get a feel for it....

1st glance, don't like it..... but, if it has less need for resources, I might try it...

I have not read anywhere the real definition on the comparison between Mate and Cinnamon...

Everyone just cops out with "you have to try it and see"...
that explains nothing.

Does Mate really have a smaller footprint?
and if so, is that only because it is stripped bare of everything except what you want to add?
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

If you would be interested in a non-Ubuntu-based distro, I would suggest Manjaro. It is not as bleeding-edge as Arch but it's cutting edge all the same following a more moderate release of new and updated packages going through several stages of testing before reaching the end-user if you choose to stay on the stable branch. Once installed you don't have to bother about upgrade to a new release as it gets upgraded through regular updates via its package manager, Pamac. When it comes to DE, you can choose between almost everything available for Linux-based distros. I use it alongside Mint and I am very pleased with the way it works and looks. Works out of the box and has an active and supportive community. Definitely worth a try, IMHO.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:37 am Does Mate really have a smaller footprint?
and if so, is that only because it is stripped bare of everything except what you want to add?
Yes it does, and the difference is mainly in visual effects, bling bling if you will. But I'm not sure how your question relates to the topic.

As for the topic: I would probably be using some variety of *buntu. Or I might still be on Win7. Mint and the friendliness it projects is a big part of what made me jump that ship.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Marziano wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:44 amIf you would be interested in a non-Ubuntu-based distro, I would suggest Manjaro.
I've been there and done that and found it a bit in your face and over the top if i'm honest.
Moem wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:02 am I would probably be using some variety of *buntu. Or I might still be on Win7.
I didn't mind either Win 7 or 8 until Microsoft kept finding ways to constantly nag about upgrading.
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

I've pretty much always been an Mint xfce user. I've played with other distros and found that Peppermint os (hybrid lxde/xfce) is about my favorite.
Faust

Post by Faust »

Debian.

There's something I find malodorous about Ubuntu .
I won't go into it here because it will probably seem like a Stallman-esque rant ....
:mrgreen:
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Faust wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:42 am Debian.

There's something I find malodorous about Ubuntu .
I won't go into it here because it will probably seem like a Stallman-esque rant ....
:mrgreen:
Then why use Mint? If that's how you feel Debian is a lot closer to that philosophy.

I'd use Ubuntu, as I did for years before Mint. When Mint drops the KDE version I'll probably go for Kubuntu or maybe Neon.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

MEPIS
http://mepis.org/
unfortunately the M12 never got beyond a Beta

so it's alternatives are the related Cousins:
anti-X
http://antix.mepis.org
and MX itself:
https://mxlinux.org/

and I'm currently using Both of Them
8)
and LinuxMint - - of course.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Debian or 1 of it's derivatives
mwbworld

Post by mwbworld »

I'd probably go Solus or Ubuntu Mate.

I use Solus on my laptop and like it a lot. And I"ve tried mate a couple of times and kind of liked it and it does look like the new version will have a lot of improvements. Still prefer mint as my daily driver on my desktop.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I'd have to go along with Ubuntu Mate. Seems like the only inviting alternative to Mint.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Ubuntu MATE was the runner-up when I switched to Linux - I chose Linux Mint because I preferred its forum to the Ubuntu forums. I would also consider MX and Solus.

What I would look for is a LTS distribution with an active forum, and the deciding factor would be whether I could live with the method for updating software. I really would miss Update Manager.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...show some love to Mint's developers, donate regularly to the project for them to be motivated to continue spending their precious working time on it (without our very own support, why would they bother?), and then most likely it will continue being available...
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

I could probably use any number of the more popular distros and be happy. I just minutes loaded a live session of MX 17.
WOW fantastic installer with all kinds of options including persistence which is cool because included in it's fantastic assortment of default software is Live-usb Maker. You could run live, customize, and then create your own live installer. A nice package installer, looks like you can click a bunch of programs at once, and install them in one go? First impressions are good. I'm going to play with it for awhile and find out more.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Ubuntu and install Cinnamon, or if that's considered cheating, either Ubuntu Mate or MX-17.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

It depends on the availability of a recent-enough version of adb and fastboot in the distro in question's repos, but...

Debian, if the Debian repos had a new-enough version.
The last time I checked, Debian didn't and there was no way I could find where I could realistically and feasibly do anything about it.

Otherwise, probably Fedora.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

One of the *buntu's, and if those would cease to be as well: probably openSUSE.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Probably Ubuntu-Mate, or PCLinuxOS.

EDIT:
1st, Miyo Linux, or 2nd, PCLinuxOS.
Last edited by Schultz on Fri May 11, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Fedora has gotten more reliable lately.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”