Mint on my MacBook and Mini

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Mint on my MacBook and Mini

Post by stephanieswitzer »

Installed latest mint on my MacMini as a dual-boot with OSX High Sierra. Had no problems video and sound work perfectly.

Had a bit of a problem with my old Early 2008 15" MacBook Pro. It has the following spec:

2.4 MHz Core 2 Duo
8 Gb Ram
Nvidia Geforce 8600m GT w/256 Mb running at 1440x900
250 GB Driveadd

I initially wanted to dual boot the MBP but after several attempts partitioning, using rEFind, 'nomodeset' etc, I decided to single boot Mint. I needed to add 'nomodeset' to the grub install menu to get the live session to work, and I installed Mint from there. Install went okay and once completed I rebooted and interupted grub to add 'nomodeset' and once the desktop came up it was way too big to use. I opened a terminal and used apt-get to update and upgrade Mint then wrote 'nomodeset' permanently into Grub. Rebooted, and everything is working great, except my system is running in Software Rendering Mode as I don't have any video drivers installed. i did try the Nvidia drivers in the Driver Manager, but non worked, resulting in a black screen on start up.

So.... I'm not sure if I should leave things as is or continue to look for drivers... My system seems to be working great as is, very fast, and the display is bright and sharp.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz
System76 Galago Pro 4, running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel i5-1021 CPU @ 4.2 Ghz
keithrboz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint on my MacBook and Mini

Post by keithrboz »

If the error messages worry you, try installing Mate instead. There is a mate-mega package in the software centre. If you like Mate, OK. If not, keep looking for the drivers.

I'm surprised you're having a problem with a 10 year old laptop. Mind you, my 10yo macbookhas died, so your's is doing well.
Keith Bainbridge

keithrbauaptop@gmail.com
stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint on my MacBook and Mini

Post by stephanieswitzer »

keithrboz wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:21 am If the error messages worry you, try installing Mate instead. There is a mate-mega package in the software centre. If you like Mate, OK. If not, keep looking for the drivers.

I'm surprised you're having a problem with a 10 year old laptop. Mind you, my 10yo macbookhas died, so your's is doing well.
I might try that if I'm not successful. The 10 year old MBP no longer qualifies for OSX updates and thats the reason I decided to turn to Linux Mint. So far it's been the right move and I'm pleased with it's performance so far.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz
System76 Galago Pro 4, running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel i5-1021 CPU @ 4.2 Ghz

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”