Will Mint 19.x contain Ubuntu's diagnostics data collection?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint 19 - Phone Home Private User Data?

Post by JosephM »

@karlchen Well said.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Will Mint 19.x contain Ubuntu's diagnostics data collection?

Post by MurphCID »

Karlchen, While I agree to a point, I just want it to be opt-in rather than something I have to opt out of during installation. If I trust the distribution, and the team, then I don't really have a problem opting in, just as long as I can later opt out, and the telemetry ends at that point. I trust Mint, they have been utterly transparent, and just good people, Ubuntu, especially after the Amazon issue, I don't trust.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Apparently 18.X Ubuntu has a lack of love here: https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubu ... -beta.html
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

If you go to the System Info panel in Mint you will find a button you can click to send your system info to the Mint devs, it's been there for years.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Ubuntu ships with “ubuntu-report”, which collects metrics and usage data. This package won’t be present in Linux Mint, no data will be collected or sent.
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3555
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

InkKnife wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:46 am If you go to the System Info panel in Mint you will find a button you can click to send your system info to the Mint devs, it's been there for years.
That is fine by me, I can opt IN, not have to go try and opt out.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

MurphCID wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:06 pm
InkKnife wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:46 am If you go to the System Info panel in Mint you will find a button you can click to send your system info to the Mint devs, it's been there for years.
That is fine by me, I can opt IN, not have to go try and opt out.
That button doesn't actually send anything to the dev team - it simply uploads inxi output to a Github gist. The user would still need to provide the link to the gist to whoever they want to see the info.

The function is currently partly broken in any case as Github recently removed the facility to upload anonymous gists.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

That is interesting. I am old, and I remember the days of (relative) privacy.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

I trust LM distro more than most. Trust comes first, then everything else.
Ubuntu ships with “ubuntu-report”, which collects metrics and usage data. This package won’t be present in Linux Mint, no data will be collected or sent.

Monthly News – April 2018
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3555
Youtube @quidsup News that Linux Mint 19 Won’t be Spying

I just found quidsup and finding it easy to watch and informative (snap store application hiding cycrtocurreny mining was enlightening). His About says, "Long time Linux reviewer, and creator of anti-tracking system NoTrack. I also focus on IT Security News, Ubuntu, KDE, and Kodi Tutorials, Linux Gaming, and App Reviews."
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

The hard data they are wanting to collect is irrelevant. Hardware specs data will be skewed. VM's will skew data, as well as the folks who are frequent bare metal installers.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

One of the distros I tested last week asked (during install) if I would like to send my computer's data back to them, but I did not opt in. What annoyed me was it bugged me again about sending the info while I was at the middle of doing something. I may have to check again which one did that when I get the chance.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”