THE OS IS Awesome But Needs a Little work

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
luke2018

THE OS IS Awesome But Needs a Little work

Post by luke2018 »

First i Love Firefox and Thunderbird but they make linux 18.3 Cinnamon Freeze a lot way to ridiculous
the Default browser Should Be OPERA and Evolution is more Stable and dose not freeze up your system

second there is no support or Com Ports management on the System Settings i need this because i work with Crisco routers and this any OS should have this regardless

why you even bother to ad Trash can (recycle bin) if is not functional at all

Driver manager needs more tweaking it stay showing up updates that you already have installed on your system
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Re: THE OS IS Awesome But Needs a Little work

Post by majpooper »

Hi Luke,

Welcome to Mint - this is a great forum where you can get a lot of friendly help.

I like you am running 18.3 Cinnamon and use Firefox and Thunderbird but have never experienced any freezes.
So I am curious what your system specs are - maybe running a lighter version of Mint would help.
If you post the output of the terminal command inxi -Fxz it would be a good start.

There are lots of folks with lots more experience and knowledge than me that can probably give you some good advice on this and and the other issues you mention - i.e. my trash can works - always has - but I don't know how to tell you how to fix that but I am sure someone here probably can.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Trash is fully functional. You're probably selecting 'delete' rather than 'move to rubbish bin' which bypasses the Trash, as it is designed to.

I'm assuming you mean Cisco routers?
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

151tom wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:11 am I've found that Linux Mint 18.0 works well on my 10 year computers it may have something to do with the 4.4 kernel being a real LTS kernel rather than a short term HWE stack kernel.
It sounds to me like a case of a too-new kernel for older hardware. In general, older kernels work better with older hardware. Of course, you can install an older kernel on 18.3 too.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Welcome to the Mint Forums,

I get that you don't like some of the offerings, do what most reasonable people do. Change it to what you DO like. Opera can be installed from the repositories, as can another e-mail client of your choosing. I am a novice in things Linux and have managed to "break" my file server computer several times in the last few days. All it has required is to boot from my live USB and re-load it. In fact I am doing so right now. Each time I have installed it, I have learnt some new things, Found packages that I'll not bother re-installing, and others that I will re-install. I've still got a ways to go, but I certainly ain't gonna run around like a chook with my head cut off screaming that "they" should fix this or that. Typically, you'll catch more flies with honey, than vinegar.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

luke2018 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:08 pm ...
Check the following:

In File Manager, Edit, Preferences, Behavior tab, section Trash.

Check that the "Bypass the Trash when the Delete key is pressed" in UNchecked.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

luke2018 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:08 pm Driver manager needs more tweaking it stay showing up updates that you already have installed on your system
First welcome to Linux Mint,
The Driver manager does exactly what it is supposed to do it. list all available drivers for you hardware and which if any are currently in use.
so not sure I understand what your saying. Maybe your thinking of the update manager , but that has worked without problems here also.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

luke2018 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:08 pm First i Love Firefox and Thunderbird but they make linux 18.3 Cinnamon Freeze a lot way to ridiculous
the Default browser Should Be OPERA and Evolution is more Stable and dose not freeze up your system

Driver manager needs more tweaking it stay showing up updates that you already have installed on your system
Welcome to the Forum.

I run Cinnamon 18.3 and have Firefox...Chrome and Opera...never had freezing at all. I have the Trash Icon on the Desktop and find it very useful there. Drive Manager works fine for me as does the Update Manager too.

I love Cinnamon just the way it is and as they say...it you don't you can either change it or don't use it at all. :)
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”