Latest Improved Version of Cinnamon as mentioned in LM blog...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Portreve
Level 6
Level 6

Latest Improved Version of Cinnamon as mentioned in LM blog...

Post by Portreve » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:28 pm

This is in reference to the following LM blog post: Faster app-launching in Cinnamon

I have two questions.

1. Is this collective set of updates something we're going to see in LM 18.3 (or prior iterations of 18) by way of general updates, or is this something we're going to see going forward into LM 19?

2. There's no specific version numbers listed in the blog post, and when I looked at the linked github page, I also really couldn't find any version numbers there, either. So, how does one determine what version is being talked about here?
Everything is in hand. With this tapestry... and with patience, there is nothing one cannot achieve.

No hamsters were harmed in the authoring of this post.

MScott
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Latest Improved Version of Cinnamon as mentioned in LM blog...

Post by MScott » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:10 am

Reading thru the comments after the blog post it looks to target LM 19... see here -> https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3525#comment-140375
Still using Windows, testing in progress to determine if I can completely move over to Linux Mint and not lose any software or hardware needs. I'm very hopeful Mint will be my next OS.

JosephM
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Latest Improved Version of Cinnamon as mentioned in LM blog...

Post by JosephM » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:13 am

These will be improvements in Mint19/Cinnamon3.8. You won't see them in Cinnamon3.6. The current version of Cinnamon is 3.6 but git master which has these improvements is well beyond that. It just isn't tagged with a new version until it's time for release. The amount of "perceived" difference seems to vary based on the hardware you have. It's noticeable between 18.3 and 19 on both my nvidia and intel machines but the difference seems largest on the nvidia.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”