Finally did it - Sorry macOS

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Finally did it - Sorry macOS

Post by stephanieswitzer »

I had been dual booting macOS and Mint on my mid 2011 MacMin for about a month nowi. I've been so pleased with Mint that I started looking around for another system to install Mint onto. Unfortunately costs got in the way for a system with the specs that I wanted, so I decided to trash the dual boot on my mini and go for a single install of Mint.

The install completed without any problems or issues. Everything worked out of the box without having to install any additional drivers and such. I think the install took a total of 10 maybe 15 minutes. What took the longest afterwards was all the updates in Update Manager. I install one level of updates at a time, Level 1's then Level 2's and so on, re-booting after each level. Set up Firefox, Thunderbird Mail, and installed Kodi. Kodi is a little glitchy, freezing every now and then, but I'll deal with that later. Last thing to do is to set-up Timeshift.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz
System76 Galago Pro 4, running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel i5-1021 CPU @ 4.2 Ghz
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Finally did it - Sorry macOS

Post by all41 »

8)
Congrats--enjoy your Mint!
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Redact
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Redact »

That's good news stephanieswitzer.
1 week ago I installed Mint Cinnamon on my wife's 8(?) year old iMac. It couldn't receive updates, it was slow as molasses, and she couldn't get any software since nothing is being made for that old of an iMac.
It's running great!
Glad to see you're also happy.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I guess we're a clutch of former Mac OS X users.

I'm running LM 18.3 on a 2011 MacBook Pro 13", and it works very well. About a year ago or so, I put in an SSD, and the performance is phenomenal.

My only real issue is that the integrated graphics card is pretty dated, and it's about at its maximum trying to drive my new 23" monitor.

I migrated all the data I needed to (which was not 100%, but probably about 95%) to current and also libre formats prior to making the permanent move, and I have never looked back.

Welcome aboard the LinuxMint train!
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

When my Mum's mini started playing up I paved MacOS and installed Mint. Never looked back and she's happy.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Ultimately, I'm planning on using a desktop style server case I got from a friend as a basis for building a new desktop. Basically, I'll keep the case and (maybe) the floppy drive, and everything else is going to go.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”