Linux Mint Sighting

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lmuserx4849

Linux Mint Sighting

Post by lmuserx4849 »

Full Circle Magazine, Issue #128, page 32.
For your daily use, I would recommend Linux Mint;
I'm a little behind in my reading. They are on issue #131. If you are into CAD or Inkscape, they have been running a series of articles.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Linux Mint Sighting

Post by majpooper »

There is a term that is used loosely "general user" - not sure what everyone's definition of that is but what I have found is that for those that only use their laptops for browsing the Internet, some online banking and shopping maybe a few apps like office or skype linux mint is ideal. I just replaced Windows on a 8 year old HP all-in-one PC for an elderly couple who did not even know what a browser was. They were asking advice on what new PC to buy as they have a limited budget and the old PC was not "working" anymore. Well they are thrilled the PC works great now - not slow, no more freezing up etc. Well turns out they only use the PC to email, check their bank account, shop on Amazon, and check Facebook to keep in contact with their kids and grandkids. Everything done from FF. I put a FF icon on the desktop, put FF in firejail and configured OpenDNS as their DNS and showed them how to do updates ( if they don't remember no problem as I see them every so often that I can take care of that).
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

you did the perfect thing for them.

I too am "training friends" to a slightly different looking Desktop, but they could care less.

All they do is hit the Power On button, and use the mouse to click on icons for Firefox....
and that is all they do, surf the 'net.

I think I will make up a special background for that type of user.

The standard blue Microsoft Windows with the green grass on it :lol:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:34 pm you did the perfect thing for them.

I too am "training friends" to a slightly different looking Desktop, but they could care less.

All they do is hit the Power On button, and use the mouse to click on icons for Firefox....

Funny you mention that - I know, kinda sorta in jest but I have though about the same thing and adding a MS Windows theme with a Start etc. for folks I know that are reluctant to change from Windows to Linux. Unless they are using something that absolutely needs to run on Windows, say like Photoshop and they don't want to use (read learn) Gimp the reluctance to change seems a bit irrational - what difference does it matter what the OS is if all you are doing is using your browser for 75-90% of your activity?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

We might as well make a new icon for the "Start" button to replace the green "menu" button.

after that, they could care at all...
Place a "Shutdown" icon on the Desktop that would activate the shutdown sequence w/o prompts.
or maybe just leave the prompt up, the MS shutdown asks what they want to do.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
jaymot

Post by jaymot »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:34 pm you did the perfect thing for them.

It's spelled "luser". The L is silent. :D

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”