Scan - Process Image - Slideshow - DVD - Burn

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lmuserx4849

Scan - Process Image - Slideshow - DVD - Burn

Post by lmuserx4849 »

SlideShow for DVD
Create a DVD with Bombono
  1. Scan
    I'm still trying to figure this one out, I'm testing with SimpleScan, XSane, and gscan2pdf (saves to other formats too). I have mainly used xsane from gimp and post-processed images in gimp. But apps today, actually can do a lot of things automatically, like cropping and rotating. This is super helpful when you have hundreds of pictures, 3x5 index cards/postcards, etc. I've never quite got xsane down.
  2. Process image as necessary with Gimp and GMIC.
  3. Create slideshow
    I have used dvd-slideshow, a bash script that takes a list of files and transitions. I watched the first video above, and it uses Imagination. It looks super nice for creating slideshows from images. I think I'll go with 1280x720 High-Definition. Although, this might be overkill for the content that is being scanned.
  4. Create dvd menu, content & burn dvd
    I have used ManDVD (which was awesome, but doesn't exist anymore) and DVDStyler. The above video uses Bombono and it looks like a great option. It'll be NTSC.
For archival purposes, should I scan at 300 or 600 or higher, and save as tiff, jpeg, or png? When done I plan on copying the originals to a data DVD. (1)

The images are going to be large after scanning, do I have to resize them to something around 1280x720 (keeping the aspect ratio) for steps #3 and #4. (2)

My options NTSC 720x480, with an aspect ratio 16:9, how does that relate to #3? (4)

Your thoughts and experiences appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Scan - Process Image - Slideshow - DVD - Burn

Post by BenTrabetere »

lmuserx4849 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:34 pmFor archival purposes, should I scan at 300 or 600 or higher, and save as tiff, jpeg, or png? When done I plan on copying the originals to a data DVD.
For archival purposes I recommend scanning photos at 600 dpi and saving as a TIFF. There are times when I will go higher than that for small images.
The images are going to be large after scanning, do I have to resize them to something around 1280x720 (keeping the aspect ratio) for steps #3 and #4. (2)
I use the ImageMagick Convert tool to resize an image and save it as a JPG. This is to reduce the size of the slideshow. I have resized the image as much 50% and still got results that were better than necessary. I typically do not lock the aspect ratio because it is not a requirement for what I do.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

BenTrabetere wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:36 am
lmuserx4849 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:34 pmFor archival purposes, should I scan at 300 or 600 or higher, and save as tiff, jpeg, or png? When done I plan on copying the originals to a data DVD.
For archival purposes I recommend scanning photos at 600 dpi and saving as a TIFF. There are times when I will go higher than that for small images.
I use the ImageMagick Convert tool to resize an image and save it as a JPG. This is to reduce the size of the slideshow. I have resized the image as much 50% and still got results that were better than necessary. I typically do not lock the aspect ratio because it is not a requirement for what I do.
When archiving, are you writing them to a dvd or keeping them on a hard drive?
I plan on giving them as gifts. One, a data dvd, for backup and printing, and two a video dvd to present the items in a friendly manner. The whole, what size should I make things, has me stumped. Perhaps I'm over thinking :-)

I use ImageMagick a lot for simple things (display, identify, convert). I've been meaning to spend some time on their documentation. I saw a neat trick to view images side-by-side: convert photo[1-5] +append compare.jpg && display compare.jpg. I use to have an old gimp plugin to create a contact sheet, but I think I'll try montage.

A lot of items I'm scanning are index cards and postcards. I've only done one at a time, but I'm going to try putting 4 or 5 on the flatbed and see which software can detect them the best.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

lmuserx4849 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:03 amWhen archiving, are you writing them to a dvd or keeping them on a hard drive?
Both. I keep the primary archive on a HDD. My primary archives contain everything related to the project - documentation about the project, the original scanned images, images that have edited and saved as TIFFs, XCFs or PSDs, converted PNGs or JPGs of various resolutions, etc.... Some of these archives can be very large and span several DVDs.

Any archives I need to access frequently, such as an active or recently-active project, stays on a properly backed up server. Every archive is stored on a drive that is destined for off-site storage. Sometimes it is to a proper external HDD, other times it is a drive I scavenged drives from a dead or obsolete computer.

I also save the full archive to DVD.
I plan on giving them as gifts. One, a data dvd, for backup and printing, and two a video dvd to present the items in a friendly manner. The whole, what size should I make things, has me stumped.
Most of the time I only give a working archive, and it almost always will fit on a single DVD. It will contain documentation about the project, the images as low-, medium, and high-resolution JPGs, contact prints of the images, slideshows, etc.

I rarely give the full archive - most of the time it is too large to fit on a single DVD, and it will contain files someone else will not need. And I hate to have to explain why there are multiple versions of the same image.
Perhaps I'm over thinking :-)
Very easy to do. I find that most people are only interested in the finished project, and giving them more than that only leads to confusion and unnecessary questions. There was a time when I included unflattened PSDs - I drowned that baby when I got tired of explaining what they are to people who should know what they are.
I use to have an old gimp plugin to create a contact sheet, but I think I'll try montage.
Here is the montage command I use. It creates a contact print that has up to 24 thumbnails per page, each thumbnail is 250x250 in size with the filename as a label, the page is constrained it to a letter-size (8.5x11), and it will generate a multi-page PDF for contact prints of 25+ images.

Code: Select all

montage -verbose -label '%f' -font Helvetica -pointsize 12 -background '#D3D3D3' -fill 'black' -define jpeg:size=250x250 -frame 6x6+2+2 -geometry 250x250+2+2 -tile 4x6 -page letter -auto-orient *.jpg ContactPrint.pdf
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi lmuserx4849,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There are many posts on doing this in the forum already.

The fantastic "Bombono" is my favorite DVD creator application and can use videos, and or still images, and or slideshows (videos). As you already know, I have video tutorials on this in the link below and your links, and there are others on YouTube. I did not have a working microphone for the Bombono tutorial when that was created in 2016, but you should still be able to tell how it works.

FYI-1 Tip: If you use a slideshow creator from a video editor or movie maker slideshow maker, then you do not have to resize the images or videos first. "Kdenlive" video editor will automatically resize images and or videos to match your selected project's video profile. "ffDiaporama" has similar options to fit images or videos to the project profile or "frame".

Mint Movie Maker? - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=240580&hilit=bombono

As for creating Slideshows, there are many options for that as well from the various video editors (Kdenlive, openshot, etc..) to my favorite movie maker / slideshow makers "ffDiaporama", Imagination, videoporama, etc...

How to get ffdiaporama on Mint 18? - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=229333&hilit=ffdiaporama

FYI-2: "gscan2pdf" (superb scanning software) and DVDstyler (excellent DVD app) both have PPA's for more updated versions.

Hope this helps ...
ffDiaporama1.jpg
ffDiaporama2.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

BenTrabetere:

Offsite-storage - do you just consider relatives as "offsite" or something else :-)

Contact sheet - awesome montage command.

Definitely see the benefit of being organized.

phd21:

I recall hearing that making a slideshow gives you the ability to have transitions.

I'm still not sure about cropping/aspect ratio. I think it is better to have control over it.

There is an imagemagick strip aspect that might make things move along more quickly rather than gimp

PS: You have a great voice. Love to hear what equipment you use to create your videos. Ever consider volunteering for LibriVox recordings. :-)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi lmuserx4849,
lmuserx4849 wrote:phd21: I recall hearing that making a slideshow gives you the ability to have transitions.
This would depend upon the methods and or applications that you use to create the slideshow.
- "ffDiaporama" has incredible simple to use transitions that you can control before and after an image or video which you can then render to a final video file for various purposes including for adding to Bomobono or another DVD creator application.

- If you use a video editor like the excellent Kdenlive to create a slideshow and you want custom transitions, then you have to add each image or video to the project's timeline and add the transitions and customize them before and or after each image and or video. If you use "Kdenlive" built-in slideshow option, if will take all the images in a folder and display them for a certain amount of time you select and you might be able to choose one type of transition effect for all of them, but not custom transition effects per image.
lmuserx4849 wrote:I'm still not sure about cropping/aspect ratio. I think it is better to have control over it.
Anyone can crop and edit or change the aspect ratio of images or for content per image or by batches of images using many various applications (desktop GUI and console terminal based).

Assuming that the images do not actually have to be edited for content, to remove stuff you do not want seen, cleaning up the images, or for whatever reasons other than changing aspect ratios (sizing), applications like "ffDiaporama", and most video editors like Kdenlive, can change their sizes (aspect ratio) automatically to fit the video (slideshow) project profile you select before adding the images and or videos and in some cases afterward as well. For instance, if you are creating a video or slideshow video for putting on a DVD for playing in typical home or business DVD players, then you would normally select a video profile like normal (square box) or widescreen at 480p or 720p at 25-30 fps and the images or videos you add will automatically be enlarged or shrunk to fit the profile you selected without any editing beforehand. It is a waste of time and resources to use a video profile higher than 720p for DVD's because the final DVD will only use the DVD format which is limited to 480p, unless you are going to also put the video on the Internet (web), USB sticks, email it to people, etc... Or, if you are using a Blu-Ray format and Blu-Ray discs which allow for higher resolutions. Typical DVD's will still look great even at 480p.
lmuserx4849 wrote:There is an imagemagick strip aspect that might make things move along more quickly rather than gimp
Imagemagick and its related applications (montage, etc..) are awesome and they are actually used by many other image editing and processing applications from the Desktop or from the console terminal prompt. There is a newer version of this available too.
lmuserx4849 wrote:PS: You have a great voice. Love to hear what equipment you use to create your videos. Ever consider volunteering for LibriVox recordings. :-)
Thank you ...

Unfortuantely for now, I have been using ancient, under-powered, computer hardware including very basic "low-end" audio and video equipment like a very low-end headset with mono mic, or using my webcam mic, sometimes using an ancient Bluetooth headset with mic. Because of this, It takes me a long time and many revisions to get the final tutorial videos and other videos to the stage they are when you and others see them, whereas having newer more powerful computer hardware and better audio and video hardware would change that for the better. I primarily use the superb "SimpleScreenRecorder" (SSR) for recording my desktop and the software running on it.

Best regards,
Phil (phd21)
Last edited by phd21 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

lmuserx4849 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:17 am BenTrabetere:

Offsite-storage - do you just consider relatives as "offsite" or something else :-)
Since most of my relatives have a tendency to throw away stuff they do not recognize as valuable, no, I do not consider them as offsite.

I have a safe deposit box that is much too large for my needs, and I can easily fit a couple of dozen HDDs it and still have enough room for the stuff I got a safe deposit box in the first place.
Contact sheet - awesome montage command.
Thanks. It is based on something I found on the interwebs, so I can't take full credit.
Definitely see the benefit of being organized.
Develop a workflow and stick to it. I may be a little excessive with it, but it is because I truly hate unnecessary repetition. Early on I got my fill when of an oversight forced me to do a project for a second time, and I adopted an 'If it is worth doing it is worth saving' attitude. When in doubt, save it. Storage is cheap.

Be sure to protect your work, especially if it is out of your complete control. I once worked on a product catalog - my section had over 18,000 items, and over half of those had pictures and detailed descriptions. The archive spanned a dozen or so CDs. Five years later, when it was time to produce another catalog, I discovered my idiot boss had tossed them in one of his a cleaning fits. Silly me, I should have stored the CDs in a filing cabinet in the storage room with the 'Beware of the Leopard' sign on the door.

I firmly believe it is important to properly document a project. For the catalog project I used the SKU for a product as the filename, and the README associated with the images contained a list of the files along with a brief description.

On a somewhat-related note, PhotoFilmStrip might be an interesting diversion if you like the "Ken Burns" style.
http://www.photofilmstrip.org/en/
mpv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mpv »

qdvdauthor contains qslideshow (a GUI) which is using dvd-slideshow and creates dvd menu.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”