Linux Mint Forever!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
cecilieaux
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint Forever!

Post by cecilieaux » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:37 am

I left Ubuntu for Linux Mint because of Unity. I absolutely hated Unity. I'm a computer user and use my phone sparingly for genuine computer purposes. I saw no reason for one common interface. This is where Canonical went off the rails for me.

To me GUI and eye candy is important. I have written the odd script and program but I am not a programmer or a heavy techie. I want something that works and I want it to look the way I like. Mint does that.

Initially, I chafed under the truly conservative approach of Mint. I rebelled at having to do clean installs to upgrade (you really should, I learned). I even rebelled at the idea of not upgrading just for so.

But, you know, now Ubuntu is out without Unity and with all the security blankets I loved. Yet, I'm kinda stuck in a love affair with Mint, which is customizable, to which I can add programs that are not in repositories (I know: bad, bad Cecilieaux!). I love Cinnamon. Why would I ever want to go back to plain Gnome?

I just don't see myself doing that any more. Mint is home. Please keep my home going, folks. I can't donate too much, too often, but I have and will once again soon. I think the team is doing a great job being cautious. I like their apps. I even like that they're trying to speed things up with Tara.

I may change my tune, but for now ... Linux Mint forever!
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia 64-bit

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”