Some random thoughts on Mint vs o/s X +Windows 10

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Some random thoughts on Mint vs o/s X Windows 10

Post by MurphCID »

???? Not sure I understand this post.

andreyswit wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:25 pm on which page of this thread will docsmooth point out that these thoughts arent actually random?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Some random thoughts on Mint vs o/s X +Windows 10

Post by Portreve »

To be honest, MurphCID, when I started reading this and got to the beginning of your LinuxMint experience, I thought you were going to install it on your MacBook Pro to replace Mac OS X. It is a pretty controlled environment which Apple expects its users to use as it sees fit, some tweaking and customization aside, period.

I have LM 19 (beta, as I type this) running full-time on my 2011 MBP 13", and honestly, I couldn't be happier, other than having newer hardware, but then that's always a given.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:15 pm To be honest, MurphCID, when I started reading this and got to the beginning of your LinuxMint experience, I thought you were going to install it on your MacBook Pro to replace Mac OS X. It is a pretty controlled environment which Apple expects its users to use as it sees fit, some tweaking and customization aside, period.

I have LM 19 (beta, as I type this) running full-time on my 2011 MBP 13", and honestly, I couldn't be happier, other than having newer hardware, but then that's always a given.
I thought about it at the time, but decided that I like the little HP Spectre x360 much better as a linux machine. I decided I would keep the Mac as a play thing since the o/s really is not for serious work, but for entertainment. I think that Apple has disabled some of the functionality of the terminal in O/S X since I tried to use some terminal commands to remove cruft from the mac and it did not work. I might look at a System 76 Oryx Pro later on for a gaming machine, or a Galago pro but the Mac will remain the Mac. I have a large iTunes library, and if iTunes would work on Mint, I would drop all other operating systems in a flash. Sorry for the confusion, I did at one point think about it, but decided against it in the long run. Maybe I'll look at getting a 15" MBP 2014 model from Mac of All Trades to put linux on later on.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

There's only been two ways in which I've ever used iTunes.

The first way was the same as anyone here might use something like Rhythmbox: hold and organize and play back your music.

The second way, and this is before the era of Google, I would use it to research songs: what albums they belonged to, which music groups did them.

But, I've never bought anything from them.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I have an iPod for walking and such, so I need iTunes for that. Plus I have a large music collection which I add to all the time. IT can't be that hard to port iTunes to Linux since it runs on BSD (Mac O/S X).
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

I have a friend that loves her Mac and recently the ssd died on it. She had the shop fix it for somewhere around $300+ for hardware and labor. I got to looking at the hardware specs of the Mac and a comparable w10 loaded Laptop was $1000 cheaper than a Mac so I figure one pays $1000 for the OS. I see why I never had a Mac. The last two laptops I bought had w10 on them and w10 got neatly filed away in file 13, both running XFCE 18.3. One loaded 18.3 no problem and the other I had to load 18 then update to 18.3 . I have no use for the ratpad on laptops because I never learned to type in school with the rest on mechanical type writers, so with the ratpad and my occasional bumps on it I would end up with a mess. I disable the Pads and rely on an externals. I have one laptop as a Minecraft server at home always on and this laptop goes with me in the car. My desktop is my powerhouse (to me) and all have mint.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”