Missed Linux :(

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Telefoos

Missed Linux :(

Post by Telefoos »

Hey guys .

I've been using KDE Plasma 5.8.8 , linux 18.3 for over a month and ....jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezZ its wonderful :D
unfortunately i damaged cpu and gpu and currently waiting for my laptop to get fixed
i pulled out my old asus laptop powered by an intel pentium cpu + 7470M radeon hd graphics running on windows OS :oops:
its such a pain .... cant believe i was a windows fan 2 moths ago
it su@!#$%^&* :arrow:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Missed Linux :(

Post by Pierre »

yeah - that KDE Plasma 5.8.8 is a real Nice System:
- maybe that's what win-7 should have originally looked like
:lol:

it does indeed take some getting used to any windows based system,
if you have been lost, for a while, over in Linux Land.
:D
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Telefoos

Post by Telefoos »

:P

no body around me undrestand this feeling :/

need to find or stablish a linux community for my country/city
any idea if there already is something like that in Iran/Tehran ?
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Good Luck on putting together a group. I volunteer at a non profit recycling laptops and desktops. over 99% go out the door with LM 18.3 Cinnamon, On my own I have recycled and loaded over 300 PC's, laptops and Macbooks to LM Cinnamon with them all working. I have yet to see any of them on the forums. I have been doing several dozen commercial installations ( for companies ) These I charge for. So far most everyone has been happy after a 4 hour lesson on care and operating.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

For KDE lovers:
a rather experimental openSUSE - but at least in the VirtualBox Kernel 4.16.6 and Plasma 5.12.4 runs really well...

Code: Select all

System:    Host: linux-9302 Kernel: 4.16.6-1-default x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.1
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.12.4 (Qt 5.10.0) Distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20180502
Machine:   Device: oracle System: innotek product: VirtualBox v: 1.2 serial: N/A
           Mobo: Oracle model: VirtualBox v: 1.2 serial: N/A
           BIOS: innotek v: VirtualBox date: 12/01/2006
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-2520M (-MCP-) arch: Sandy Bridge rev.7 cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3) bmips: 9999
           clock speeds: max: 2499 MHz 1: 2499 MHz 2: 2499 MHz
Graphics:  Card: InnoTek Systemberatung VirtualBox Graphics Adapter bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.org 1.19.6 ) drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           tty size: 103x39
Audio:     Card Intel 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller
           driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: d100 d200 bus-ID: 00:05.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.16.6-1-default
Network:   Card: Intel 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: e1000 v: 7.3.21-k8-NAPI port: d010 bus-ID: 00:03.0
           IF: enp0s3 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 26.2GB (45.4% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: VBOX_HARDDISK size: 26.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 13G used: 6.9G (65%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: /tmp size: 13G used: 6.9G (65%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-3: /var size: 13G used: 6.9G (65%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-4: /opt size: 13G used: 6.9G (65%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-5: /home size: 8.5G used: 535M (7%) fs: xfs dev: /dev/sda3
           ID-6: swap-1 size: 4.14GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda4
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 190 Uptime: 0:42 Memory: 1626.8/3946.9MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: N/A Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.40 
rado84

Post by rado84 »

Telefoos wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:05 pm its such a pain .... cant believe i was a windows fan 2 moths ago
It depends on what you're using it for. Some games still run a lot better on Windows than they do on Linux. Like American Truck Simulator, for instance. GTA 5 has no Linux version. That's why I haven't erased the Windows installation yet. But for everything else Linux almost rules. :) Especially regarding movies - FullHD movies run and look a lot better on Linux.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Tomgin5 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:41 pm Good Luck on putting together a group. I volunteer at a non profit recycling laptops and desktops. over 99% go out the door with LM 18.3 Cinnamon, On my own I have recycled and loaded over 300 PC's, laptops and Macbooks to LM Cinnamon with them all working. I have yet to see any of them on the forums. I have been doing several dozen commercial installations ( for companies ) These I charge for. So far most everyone has been happy after a 4 hour lesson on care and operating.
A suggestion. What about setting the home page of the browser to these forums before you send them out the door. Or maybe you could set up a file that autoloads on startup as part of the "welcome to Mint" window that says, "If you have questions, register at Linux Mint Forums free, and get answers from those who use and develop it!"
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

some of that is already being done:
- the home page of the browser to be LinuxMint - - just not the Forums.LinuxMint
- a file that auto-loads on startup as part of the "welcome to Mint" - - as a Pop.Up
and there is already some 'complaints' about both :( Nagware / Spyware / Adware )
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Telefoos

Post by Telefoos »

A suggestion. What about setting the home page of the browser to these forums before you send them out the door. Or maybe you could set up a file that autoloads on startup as part of the "welcome to Mint" window that says, "If you have questions, register at Linux Mint Forums free, and get answers from those who use and develop it!"
Thats brilliant mate :D
worst case scenario they need to register to learn how to remove the registering popup :D :D :D :lol:
Telefoos

Post by Telefoos »

rado84 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:58 am
Telefoos wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:05 pm its such a pain .... cant believe i was a windows fan 2 moths ago
It depends on what you're using it for. Some games still run a lot better on Windows than they do on Linux. Like American Truck Simulator, for instance. GTA 5 has no Linux version. That's why I haven't erased the Windows installation yet. But for everything else Linux almost rules. :) Especially regarding movies - FullHD movies run and look a lot better on Linux.
true that . though i only play dota2 from time to time which is fully supported in mint 18.3 and i get around 110 fps(same as windows) using ultra settings with the new intel driver ( .394 iguess !)
but every thing else is garbage
still waiting on my laptop to get fixed ( gpu south bridge is damaged and gonna take a while for the dude to fix it ) and using this broken win 10 pc + pentium cpu's xDD

this windows auto update is driving me nuts :twisted:
Last edited by Telefoos on Tue May 08, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Telefoos

Post by Telefoos »

Tomgin5 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:41 pm Good Luck on putting together a group. I volunteer at a non profit recycling laptops and desktops. over 99% go out the door with LM 18.3 Cinnamon, On my own I have recycled and loaded over 300 PC's, laptops and Macbooks to LM Cinnamon with them all working. I have yet to see any of them on the forums. I have been doing several dozen commercial installations ( for companies ) These I charge for. So far most everyone has been happy after a 4 hour lesson on care and operating.
sry for the level of my english but i dont get it when u say " recycling a laptop " ... its like re assembeling one laptop using parts from useless dead laptops ?
rado84

Post by rado84 »

Telefoos wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:52 pm its like re assembeling one laptop using parts from useless dead laptops ?
Yup. But there's no guarantee it will work better than a new one.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

It does when it used to be a Windows laptop. :D Just picked up an Asus X401U this afternoon. I needed to redo the bios in it, reinstalled the 320 GB HDD cleaned the Fan and heatsink, cleaned and put new thermal CPU, loaded LM 18.3 64 Cinnamon. Running great for $23 US. :D 8)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”