I find this to be very interesting

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oldrocker99

I find this to be very interesting

Post by oldrocker99 »

Someone on YouTube posted this, in which he claims that Mint is the #1 distro, according to DistroWatch, which only counts page hits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UObnlgdspGE

This page, which counts actual downloads of each distro, tells a different tale:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180905134 ... tributions

Ubuntu is #1 with 38,129 downloads. Mint is #13 with a mere 2,276.

In other words, Mint, which I have found annoying in its update policy and a bunch of other little problems, is not at all the #1 distro. I was very grateful when they introduced MATE, but soon went back to using Ubuntu and installing MATE from the PPA. Bye-bye Mint.

Now, with Ubuntu MATE, I have what I consider, after 10 years of using Linux, the best , hands down, distro out there.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Re: I find this to be very interesting

Post by majpooper »

Good for you - you found a distro that really works for you and that you like.
I started out with Ubuntu and like you with Mint found Ubuntu annoying in some ways with a bunch of little problems and switched to Mint Cinnamon and have lived happily-ever-after. Bye-bye Ubuntu. Crazy huh?

Oh, and I couldn't care less about which is the #1 distro - but that is just me.
Schallaven

Post by Schallaven »

"The best".

If it satisfies you that you can justify for yourself and the world that you are in "the best" team; good for you. Some people are just fine and happy by not making a contest out of everything to declare in the end that they are in the "winning" team.

There are happy Linux Mint users, there are happy Ubuntu users, and - rumors on the street say this - happy Arch Linux users as well! These people have real and individual requirements to their OS (such as "stable system", "user-friendly", "compatible with my hardware", "usable for bleeding edge development", etc). In contrast, your main requirement is more or less "must be #1 on linuxcounter.net [a now dead website]" aka "when 30k people jump of a cliff, they must be right!".
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Distrowatch rankings never claimed to be more than a bit of fun. The site you pointed to is utter tosh - what do the numbers even mean? They are extremely low and distros are listed multiple time in the list.

Enjoy Ubuntu Mate. It's a fine distro.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Weird, how the OP apparently dislikes Mints Update Manager. I consider Update Manager to be Mints crown jewel: a very important improvement when compared with the way that Ubuntu applies its updates.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I don't find it very interesting at all. I'm happy if more people start using Linux-based OSses, because that means they made a step towards open source software, which I consider to be a positive thing; I don't really care which distro they use, as long as it suits their needs.
I like Mint a lot and will probably stick with it for a while, because it works for me. If I had stumbled over Ubuntu Mate before I ever tried Mint, I might well be using that now. The differences aren't that large after all. But I'm glad to hear that you found a distro that you like a lot, too.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Very interesting indeed. This forum has over 107,000 users, but Mint is only installed on 2,276 machines. Clearly something is afoot!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Pjotr wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:23 pm Weird, how the OP apparently dislikes Mints Update Manager. I consider Update Manager to be Mints crown jewel: a very important improvement when compared with the way that Ubuntu applies its updates.
This, along with the Cinnamon desktop is what made my decision to go with Mint Cinnamon 2 years ago, and since then, it has just gotten better and better.

I want stability and a flexible desktop that is easy to use, w/o me having to search for the apps, and then wonder IF the source of that app is trustworthy?

The last two months have seen my under budget laptop start performing like a hot rod compared to the way it was under Win8....10
Rock Solid, and I love it.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Does it really count every download, or is it just info from people that register on that site?
I really doubt a method exists to accurately count how many use a Distro but I would think Ubuntu has more users when you count the official flavours.
The Update Manager policy can be changed in Mint 18 so it will update everything about like Ubuntu
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

JeremyB wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:53 pm Does it really count every download, or is it just info from people that register on that site?
It doesn't say, which is never great when giving statistics. But it seems to be the latter. In that case, it would be even less interesting. I know several Mint users in person and none of them are registered there.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

https://www.datamation.com/open-source/ ... istro.html (Linux Mint: Inside the Top Linux Distro - 9 Oct 2017)
While Ubuntu has been refocusing their efforts, Linux Mint has managed to supersede other distributions in becoming what some have argued is the most popular Linux Distro of all time. Obviously there is no hard data to support this, however I’ve found that on YouTube and in the forums, Linux Mint is the go-to distro for most Linux newcomers.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I haven't ever looked at that site, so they have to be wrong. :mrgreen:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

oldrocker99 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:18 pm... In other words, Mint, which I have found annoying in its update policy and a bunch of other little problems, is not at all the #1 distro.....
Of course it's not #1. Anyone who says it is based on the number of Distrowatch hits knows nothing about math. Really, that's just dumb.

BTW some of us use Mint mostly because of its 'annoying' update policy.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the DistroWatch Site has always stated that their Rankings were a Guide Only & Not Really any Ranking, as such

another site that goes by actual downloads is:
http://iso.linuxquestions.org/
and gives it's version of the 15 Most Downloaded Distribution Versions (last 30 Days)
& in which there is No Mention of LinuxMint.
:o
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I reckon if we conducted a survey here that Mint would win hands down! If that is so, then it MUST be the best. :D There are also people who think anything from Redmond is the best, of course it MUST be, after all they wouldn't charge so much for rubbish now, would they. ROFLMAO! If a particular tool (be it software, hardware or pinking shears) works for you and does the job you require of it, then it is the best tool for you.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Pierre wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:24 am the DistroWatch Site has always stated that their Rankings were a Guide Only & Not Really any Ranking, as such

another site that goes by actual downloads is:
http://iso.linuxquestions.org/
and gives it's version of the 15 Most Downloaded Distribution Versions (last 30 Days)
& in which there is No Mention of LinuxMint.
That might change when LM 19 is released
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

YEP - it just might do that.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pierre wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:24 am & in which there is No Mention of LinuxMint.
You missed this in the next column:

Code: Select all

15 Most Downloaded Distributions (Ever)

1. Red Hat Enterprise Linux
2. Fedora
3. Ubuntu
4. Mandriva
5. CentOS
6. SUSE
7. BackTrack
8. Damn Small Linux
9. Linux Mint
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

well - RHEL is always going to be popular - isn't it ?.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pierre wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:16 am well - RHEL is always going to be popular - isn't it ?.
I have no idea. I avoid RH because typing yum into a terminal gives me the willies.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”