Boring Mint??

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Boring Mint??

Post by deanr72 »

I use Linux Mint 18.3 and Mate 16.04 and, as I'm fairly new to Linux/Ubuntu, am constantly looking online for reviews and info and stats etc. re. the best DEs to use...

One thing I came across is that Mint is rather boring in comparison to the other distros - and I tend to agree. Of my two work-horses I tend to veer towards Mate than Mint. Which is really weird, because I've had that many more problems with Ubuntu Mate than Linux Mint. So why do I persist with Mate when Mint is so much better especially OTB?

Even just a couple of days ago I encountered a very rare problem with Mint and was advised via a pop-up to download and add a PPA which wasn't installed. Problem solved! This would have taken me ages to work out with Mate - but, no - Mint was right there to solve the problem for me without any issues. So, boring, yes - maybe. Awesome, yes.

I know in a perverse way I enjoy fighting with problems like a lot of Windows > Ubuntu migrants. But really, confused? Why wouldn't I want a computer that simply works and, upon encountering the occasional issue, simply solves itself? And yet, at the same time, feel it's lacking something? Is this the definition of masochism?

And, yes, FYI, I have tweaked and tweaked Mint until the point of breaking over the last few months and it simply refuses to give in.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Boring Mint??

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Well, until I broke my system trying to install something from a newer version, it sure was boring. However, it's still boring because it is now stuck where it is. But, that's OK too because it has everything I need, so it's no biggie.

My other Mint installation is equally boring as well. Everything just works. I don't have anything to fix.

Time to have another look at Arch... :D
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Since there are already two heavy threads about the best and the most common Linux distribution running, we could now open the ranking about:

A - the most boring Linux distribution
B - the most masochistic Linux distribution

For B I suggest the "Venus In Fur" price, for A I am not so sure
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

and Boring = Reliable
8)
and which Microsoft is Nether Reliable or Boring.
:lol:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

The simple truth is that you've just been VERY lucky.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Luck favours the experts. :)
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I want a boring OS so I can use it for things that are not boring. I want to spend time using my laptop, not fiddling with it. Mint is exactly right for that. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Boring means stable and for many of us that is GOOOD !
:)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Multi-booting is how I remedy the boredom.
:D
Last edited by Sir Charles on Thu May 10, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mtj »

Happy to be bored :D
Max
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon 64bit
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

I wake up every morning wondering which computer that will be used today.
Then choose which OS to boot into.

After each shut down, the process starts again. :oops:

I'm sure glad camping season starts next week. :D
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

For this computer I originally installed 17.3 Mate as soon as it was released. Some 6 months later I knocked the tower over while it was running and killed the hd, so I had to do a fresh install on a new hd.
sudo ls -alct /root | grep .profile
reports that reinstall was on Apr 30, 2016.
I experiment, fondle, abuse, and violate most every convention---and this system is still running without issues.
That's rather exciting, not boring
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I'm Bored!!!! ;)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I was thinking myself about posting something along the lines of 'mint is boring'. Been using it a couple of years, came down a v steep learning curve. Had a raft of problems (thank god for this forum), tried things, broke stuff, fixed stuff. Most of that excitement and the challenge of the unknown is gone now, still have the odd problem. So, yes, mint is boring, it's boring because its rock solid, stable and reliable - it just works! I can't imagine using anything else (okay I have to use win in a VM because of work, but no choice there).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Chemical_Ali
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chemical_Ali »

Many years ago when I was using Windows, I was bored and tired. So, I decided to run a virus. Brilliant! The virus program I was using didn't detect the virus, so I spent hours trying to undue the damage. Maybe if you are bored, you could run a Linux virus? Or even better... Ransomware. :)
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

Oh, I'd forgotten the joys of ridding a system of viruses :wink:
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

absque fenestris wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:22 pm Since there are already two heavy threads about the best and the most common Linux distribution running, we could now open the ranking about:

A - the most boring Linux distribution
B - the most masochistic Linux distribution

For B I suggest the "Venus In Fur" price, for A I am not so sure
Most masochistic is Linux from Scratch, with SLackware running a close second.

I got bored so I installed Arch, which is the 3rd most masochistic. Why????
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I suppose Mint is a little boring compared to Windows.

Running Windows 7 you’re constantly scanning for Viruses and Malware...then trying to remove them.

Manually updating all Software...Drivers and Web Browsers which takes forever. Removing Bloatware that Windows constantly adds to the file system...my best friend was CCleaner. Going into the Registry and deleting registry keys from software that when removed didn’t want to go.

Getting the dreaded Blue Screen of Death now and then for no bloody reason. Searching for updates and either getting none or updates that screw your system or updates that install Spyware and Malware...then you have to Re-Boot.

Having to run...Disk Cleanup...Disk Defragmenter...System file check...Check Disk and my favourite...bootrec /fixmbr...bootrec /fixmbr...and because I was running Windows 7 constantly being told by Microsoft to get Windows Spyware 10 or else.

Since switching to Mint I don’t have to do any of the above because Mint 18.3 is so Superior in every way...so you could say it’s a little Boring.
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Remember when Windows WAS NEVER BORING
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

If you are bored with Mint, try installing LInux From Scratch or "Go nuts with NuTyX". :)
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”