Boring Mint??

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Boring Mint??

Post by MurphCID »

kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

MurphCID wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:21 am Very nice article on Mint: https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/lin ... tools.html
Very good, especially coming from Dedoimedo, who can be very critical of any small flaws he comes upon.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
ud6

Post by ud6 »

I used to love messing with linux (at the time, ubuntu) and spending a day speeding up the boot speed by 0.64 seconds before crashing the system and reinstalling it. I could have gone one of two ways: archlinux or mint direction.

Basically I had to get busy with work, so I focussed on a system that was quick to install everything I needed, not buggy and I could customise to my aesthetic requirements with a few button presses... cos I had proper things to do!

Mint (mate) means I am confident to do fresh install 19.0 instead of my 18.3 knowing I'd have the system I want with all the software I want within an hour, and have little problem with drivers and codecs... but still have time to do tweaks like format my usbs to f2fs for speed. Mint gives ease and power.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

ud6 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:15 pm I used to love messing with linux (at the time, ubuntu) and spending a day speeding up the boot speed by 0.64 seconds before crashing the system and reinstalling it. I could have gone one of two ways: archlinux or mint direction.

Basically I had to get busy with work, so I focussed on a system that was quick to install everything I needed, not buggy and I could customise to my aesthetic requirements with a few button presses... cos I had proper things to do!

Mint (mate) means I am confident to do fresh install 19.0 instead of my 18.3 knowing I'd have the system I want with all the software I want within an hour, and have little problem with drivers and codecs... but still have time to do tweaks like format my usbs to f2fs for speed. Mint gives ease and power.
I too have had work really press on me, so I don't have time anymore. I wish I did, but I do not. I just want something that works the first time so I don't have to jack with it to make it work right.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

deanr72 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 6:52 pm I encountered a very rare problem with Mint and was advised via a pop-up to download and add a PPA which wasn't installed. Problem solved!
I've never seen a "pop-up" advising me do any such thing. If I did you could be sure I wouldn't
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

rickNS wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:56 pm
deanr72 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 6:52 pm I encountered a very rare problem with Mint and was advised via a pop-up to download and add a PPA which wasn't installed. Problem solved!
I've never seen a "pop-up" advising me do any such thing. If I did you could be sure I wouldn't
maybe the one about needing cowpatty when running wifite under Mint. ;)
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I've had plenty of interesting times with Linux, I want it to be more boring.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:20 am I've had plenty of interesting times with Linux, I want it to be more boring.
Indeed...over the years I've had my share of "excitement", for sure!
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Maybe LinuxMint programmers could install a fake blue screen error message for people who get bored with the predictably safety of LinuxMint. During install one could offer the option of a spiced up version of LinuxMint that scares the hell out of you with random blue screen error messages that have no ground whatsoever.

I can still remember so clearly how scared I got in the days of windows when I had messed up my windows pc and I saw that blue screen. Didnt sleep all night in order to fight my pc from being destructed. That certainly wasnt boring.
With a friend who had an apple computer I once saw a picture of a burning bomb as a warning message that something had gone wrong. That was back in the eighties though. Those were the days, that computers really did give me headaches. But it wasnt boring...
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

151tom wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:40 am I'm old boring is good. :lol:
Me too. Boring is excellent, especially when I just want things to work.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
The discussion on spying by Canonical / Mint has been moved here.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vishgaur »

You are absolutely right. It is boring.
No fancy things to install.
No fancy games to play. Yes, playonlinux is there, virtualbox helps too but it is damn too slow and laggy at times.

Overall, pretty boring.
But what does a laptop needs to do?

LibreOffice does all my documentation work. Photoxx and GUI image editor does the rest for me.
Apart from that, chromium/firefox enable me to do everything that I need to do online.

So? All work is being done.
Still boring? Yes. Why? Just because it has a minimal UI and also there are no new and shiny softwares for Linux available on web.

Here, the problem begins. I used to install so many new and shiny softwares on windows that I never used to use.
I used to download songs from piracy websites those generally used to send softwares instead of song files.

Thanks a lot to AVAST Antivirus that I ran my MS Windows with no viruses at all. I mean it, not a single malware, worm, bloatware, timebomb etc. AVAST is surely the best. And I'm talking about free version only.
But before the discovery of AVAST I always ended up with loads of worms on my MS Windows XP, 7. 8, 8.1, 10. Even with paid protection of NORTON and McAffee etc.

Not being boring would take a price, your privacy, and would also give you something in return, unwanted programs and worms and viruses, so I prefer it boring.
Boring means lesser time on waste programs and softwares. Boring means more productivity. Did you know that studies were the most boring part throughout our lives and it is still boring for sure. But what gives you returns at the end? YouTube? Gaming? Chatting? Video calls to hot girls? No, it is your studies that you generally tag as boring and it acts as the base to provide you all those fancy things later in your life.

It is quite boring to read too. But what I typed has a deeper meaning than this thread itself.
Since 2003 on computers, since 2014 on Linux.

Blog: https://www.inksup.wordpress.com
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

I love the idea that people find it boring. It's hilarious. My daughter has been trying to use her Windows 10 laptop recently for various things like completing homework and applying for jobs. The amount of swearing that goes on when it just won't do what she wants it to! A bit of "boring" in these situations is exactly what you need. :lol:

I'm late to the party with this release, and only just installed it yesterday. What a treat it is. I haven't had a single hiccup at all. Absolutely fantastic. All set up very quickly with no hitches, and it's going to be my main OS for at least the next two years until the next LTS I imagine. Hats off to the developers - it's 2018 and still nothing comes close to Mint for stability and usability for the home PC user (or any user really). I can confidently hand this around my family for their use without fear of comebacks.

If this is boring, more boring please!
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Condorman wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:35 am I love the idea that people find it boring. It's hilarious. My daughter has been trying to use her Windows 10 laptop recently for various things like completing homework and applying for jobs. The amount of swearing that goes on when it just won't do what she wants it to! A bit of "boring" in these situations is exactly what you need. :lol:

I'm late to the party with this release, and only just installed it yesterday. What a treat it is. I haven't had a single hiccup at all. Absolutely fantastic. All set up very quickly with no hitches, and it's going to be my main OS for at least the next two years until the next LTS I imagine. Hats off to the developers - it's 2018 and still nothing comes close to Mint for stability and usability for the home PC user (or any user really). I can confidently hand this around my family for their use without fear of comebacks.

If this is boring, more boring please!
Unfortunately, the Great Unwashed do not always have the skill required to make some things work. Multimedia, for example, can cause real headaches (especially if you don't READ the error messages and say, "Oh! I need to install <name here> codec!") and have to have automatic app search to install something for them. Other things as well ("WHY won't it open this .docx file?!?!?!")

It's getting better, but it still requires a modicum of computer and OS knowledge sometimes to get things to work as they should. Mint is by far better than others, but still isn't quite ready for all users.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Condorman wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:35 am The amount of swearing that goes on when it just won't do what she wants it to!
:roll: :lol:

This reminds me of my time with Windows. A swear box really should have accompanied the computer at all times, like the one I had at work with the prices for the common swear words on it (anyone seen "Hot Fuzz"? :mrgreen: ) & I was well known for turning the air blue at the pub when trying to get something done. Really should have carried a bleeper with me. :x

The swear box paid for all the drinks from the vending machine at work, though .. and I drank a LOT of coffee. :roll:
Arch_Enemy wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:13 pm It's getting better, but it still requires a modicum of computer and OS knowledge sometimes to get things to work as they should. Mint is by far better than others, but still isn't quite ready for all users.
That is true, but it is sometimes the case also when installing Windows, which has usually been done for them.

As for being ready for all users, I don't think any OS really can be .. there are always going to be people who can't or don't get on with them. In my case, with Windows, it's the latter.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

I just recently had to install windows 7 on a PC. The most ridiculous thing about the whole experience was having to download all the drivers on Mint and transfer them across to the windows OS via pendrive. It was also the same with an installation of 8.1.

What kind of system is created whereby you need to connect to the Internet to install drivers in order to connect to Internet?

Surely this is a prime example of user-unfriendliness and the need to be relatively tech savvy. And this is Windows 7 - still the most commonly used OS in the world!
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

deanr72 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:12 am What kind of system is created whereby you need to connect to the Internet to install drivers in order to connect to Internet?
Exactly.

A couple of years ago, when attempting to do a fresh installation of Windows 7 on a rellie's laptop which had the "FBI virus" I found that networking did not work so, on my Linux machine, found the driver to get ethernet working but there was no sign of a WiFi card driver. Toshiba evidently forgot that one, as did Microsoft (IIRC it's a fairly common WiFi card). Worked OOTB with Linux Mint.

Note these issues can and do occur with Linux too, have no idea of the relative proportionality with respect to Windows.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

BG405 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:25 am
deanr72 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:12 am What kind of system is created whereby you need to connect to the Internet to install drivers in order to connect to Internet?
Exactly.

A couple of years ago, when attempting to do a fresh installation of Windows 7 on a rellie's laptop which had the "FBI virus" I found that networking did not work so, on my Linux machine, found the driver to get ethernet working but there was no sign of a WiFi card driver. Toshiba evidently forgot that one, as did Microsoft (IIRC it's a fairly common WiFi card). Worked OOTB with Linux Mint.

Note these issues can and do occur with Linux too, have no idea of the relative proportionality with respect to Windows.
Now that begs the question, as to the Wifi card, since I have had the opposite with the Wifi card refusing to work under any Linux since there were no drivers. Intel cards work right away, Broadcom, not so much in my experience. Not sure about Killer Wifi cards.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”