Post by MurphCID » Thu May 24, 2018 7:21 am

kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Boring Mint??

Post by kenetics » Fri May 25, 2018 11:21 am

MurphCID wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:21 am
Very nice article on Mint: https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/lin ... tools.html
Very good, especially coming from Dedoimedo, who can be very critical of any small flaws he comes upon.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...' - Isaac Asimov

ud6
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ud6 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:15 pm

I used to love messing with linux (at the time, ubuntu) and spending a day speeding up the boot speed by 0.64 seconds before crashing the system and reinstalling it. I could have gone one of two ways: archlinux or mint direction.

Basically I had to get busy with work, so I focussed on a system that was quick to install everything I needed, not buggy and I could customise to my aesthetic requirements with a few button presses... cos I had proper things to do!

Mint (mate) means I am confident to do fresh install 19.0 instead of my 18.3 knowing I'd have the system I want with all the software I want within an hour, and have little problem with drivers and codecs... but still have time to do tweaks like format my usbs to f2fs for speed. Mint gives ease and power.

MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MurphCID » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:59 am

ud6 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:15 pm
I used to love messing with linux (at the time, ubuntu) and spending a day speeding up the boot speed by 0.64 seconds before crashing the system and reinstalling it. I could have gone one of two ways: archlinux or mint direction.

Basically I had to get busy with work, so I focussed on a system that was quick to install everything I needed, not buggy and I could customise to my aesthetic requirements with a few button presses... cos I had proper things to do!

Mint (mate) means I am confident to do fresh install 19.0 instead of my 18.3 knowing I'd have the system I want with all the software I want within an hour, and have little problem with drivers and codecs... but still have time to do tweaks like format my usbs to f2fs for speed. Mint gives ease and power.
I too have had work really press on me, so I don't have time anymore. I wish I did, but I do not. I just want something that works the first time so I don't have to jack with it to make it work right.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”