Just how secure is LM 18.x ..

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spud1200

Just how secure is LM 18.x ..

Post by Spud1200 »

Hey,

I'm just curious too know, how secure LM 18.x is. As a some what super user of mint but not actually being too write any custom Linux Script I'm curious if its that easy or just somewhat easy to be able get in too the OS.

As a general rule I follow I believe that if someone wants too be bad enough they will but I was thinking the other day just how secure is the LM.

With LM, you have the option too encrypt the disk and install the Boot Loader too another devise such as a thumb drive along with encryption the Home folder. I mean that’s pretty secure but as users and even for those who are at the opposite end of the spectrum and not really clued up how do we know the NSA or any sort of back door has not been put in too the OS.

I'm not a tin foil hatter but a major distribution like LM I'm just asking; how secure is it.

Do you gyes have any pro tips too locking down your system or even custom scripts for any one who mite interested.

Also what’s the deal with Anti Virus with Linux. Do you need Anti Virus with Mint.

Just curious too get some feed back.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Just how secure is LM 18.x ..

Post by Moem »

Are you asking about local threats or threats from the internet?
Spud1200 wrote:Also what’s the deal with Anti Virus with Linux. Do you need Anti Virus with Mint.
Most experienced users feel that you do not.

By the way, 'super user' means a user or account with elevated privileges. The word you're probably looking for is 'power user'.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Spud1200, .......
Spud1200 wrote:.
Hackers' viruses/malware need Admin or Root privileges to "infect/invade" an OS and do serious damage. LM, by default, is operated by the users in non-Root or non-Admin privilege mode = not susceptible to viruses/malware.

LM users can opt to operate in Root privilege mode but they should be careful, eg when downloading and installing 3rd-party apps/programs.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

You don;t need anti virus software in Mint, or Linux period. I know people who've been using Linux much longer than I have on their personal machines, some since it's inception. You had to compile and build the whole thing back then. ANd none of them has aver gotten a virus.

That's a pretty good statement on Linux security in general.

On a personal note, I've done some distro and DE hopping on my little netbook (which I don't actually need). Which means a lot of reinstalling (BTW I use a separate /home partition now).

A few times, after installing I forgot to enable the firewall. Once I didn't remember for a month. This is my machine that I use for schlepping around and it mostly gets used in public wifi hotspots like cafes.

Now, in Linux this isn't smart, I know, but in Windows it'd be insane. You'd get hacked in MILLISECONDS in an internet cafe using Windows without a firewall running.

Guess what? I've never gotten hacked.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

You might find this article interesting, that I've written about security in Linux Mint:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I have been using Linux since 2002. During that time, none of my Linux computers have ever been infected with any virus or malware, nor do I have any evidence that they have been subject to any unauthorized access. Nor has the computer of any Linux user I know of, which would take in a LOT of Linux users since I have been active on Linux forums since I started using Linux, and much of that time as a moderator or administrator. I have seen a few posts that say "I think I have a virus" or something along that line, but none of them turned out to be a virus at all. A recently joined forums users posted several times that he thought he had a virus; at least one of those times he mistook a feature of Linux Mint for a virus. Tinfoil hat type, I guess. Anyway, I would say that you're pretty secure running Mint, and that you do not need an antivirus program.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Seeing as how you've got lots of helpful answers here, I've got to add a less-than-helpful one...
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Solid as a rock...Anti-Virus software...what's that ? :lol: :lol:
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

With Mint the OS is the least of your security, and privacy for that matter, concerns. It's your router and browser you ought to be concerned with - way more than Linux Mint.
Spud1200

Post by Spud1200 »

majpooper wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:36 pm With Mint the OS is the least of your security, and privacy for that matter, concerns. It's your router and browser you ought to be concerned with - way more than Linux Mint.
What would you recommend with regards too the Browser like FF or Chrome. Keeping it updated is an obvious must but can any one recommend any good security practices on these boards too help with overall security using these browsers in Mint.

I was watching a video on the ufw and man you can actually do a lot with it; its quite unreal but over all I'm just looking for a general conversation and some pointers.

I'm not trying too sit hear and ask stupid questions or certainly not troll but I like too do a lot of research just for the fact I like too learn as much as I can when I have the time. I find a lot of stuff interesting so was just wanting too talk some gyes who know more than me.

:) ...
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

You never replied to this:
Are you asking about local threats or threats from the internet?
I can assume that you mean threats from the internet, but it's easier if we don't have to assume.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Linux, or any other OS can be as secure as you make it. NO system is secure if you leave your keys in the door, The differences occur where there is another door. You, then, must also lock that door, then....there's the windows.........Need I say more. If you are careful about what you share, how you share it, and with whom, even Windows can be a relatively safe system. The difference being. Windows 3 = door shut, Windows 10 = door locked, Linux = door DEADlocked with a few other locks as well. Anyone can break Widoze 3, Windows 10 requires a bit more force, Linux, most crooks will look for an easier target.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

majpooper wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:36 pm With Mint the OS is the least of your security, and privacy for that matter, concerns. It's your router and browser you ought to be concerned with - way more than Linux Mint.

What would you recommend with regards too the Browser like FF or Chrome. Keeping it updated is an obvious must but can any one recommend any good security practices on these boards too help with overall security using these browsers in Mint.
Here is what I have done - is it overkill - probably - does it give me piece of mind - somewhat realizing that nothing ultimately is secure or that your privacy can ever be 100%.

Starting at the boarder I have configured a router behind a router. What I mean by that I have a router interfacing the internet (this is the router wired to my ISP's cable modem). Behind that router with a separate Network IP is a router to which all my wired devices interface. I also have my wireless (a third router - not really necessary but I found an old linksys router which I updated with dd-wrt so I used that just for wireless access and configured that with yet another separate Network IP space. Yes definitely overkill but a router behind a router with a guest network is not.

I ensure the firmware on my routers all updated, turn on the router firewalls, disable admin via remote access, disable UPnP (if you are a gamer I guess you have to leave it enabled but it is a huge vulnerability). Should go without saying but changing the router password away from the default. I do not broadcast the SSID but that really does little to deter the bad guys but I do it anyway. I also so change the network IP space away from the typical 192.168.1.1 or 0.1 to something like 192.168.17.25 just to make things look a little bit different to anyone snooping around.

I install firejail (I play with my firefox.profile a bit to my liking but the profile out of the box is fine). I also install from the mint software repository dnscrypt which prvents DNS leaks and DNS spoofing. I would never use my ISP's DNS resolvers. My DNS resolver of choice which I set up in conjunction with dnscrypt is OpenDNS however there are several good ones such as 9.9.9.9 and 1.1.1.1, some folks like Google 8.8.8.8 (can't recall their secondary) and several others - research them and use the one you like best.

I also use veracrypt and have an encrypted container on my HDD where I keep stuff I want to protect - keep in mind when it's open it ain't protected. I also have an encrypted container on my external HD for the backups. I use a VPN (PrivateTunnel) for a little more security - at least my data is encrypted up to my VPN's server - that's the best I can do.

My browser and any app that is internet facing is sandboxed with firejail but in addition I use a few security addons;
IDN Safe (IDN Safe blocks internationalized domain names also known as punycode domains. This helps you to identify them and will prevent you from visiting probable fake sites.
Adblock Plus
No Coin (blocks crypto coin miners)
uBlock Origin (a must IMHO)
HTTPS Everywhere (also a must IMHO)
Disable WebRTC

I also use the free version of Lastpass to keep my passwords in an encrypted vault - I make sure my passwords are very long and cryptic and different for each site. I log into sites line the linux mint forum using Lastpass and do not even bother with remembering password anymore.
ud6

Post by ud6 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 9:31 am You don;t need anti virus software in Mint, or Linux period. I know people who've been using Linux much longer than I have on their personal machines, some since it's inception. You had to compile and build the whole thing back then. ANd none of them has aver gotten a virus.

That's a pretty good statement on Linux security in general.

On a personal note, I've done some distro and DE hopping on my little netbook (which I don't actually need). Which means a lot of reinstalling (BTW I use a separate /home partition now).

A few times, after installing I forgot to enable the firewall. Once I didn't remember for a month. This is my machine that I use for schlepping around and it mostly gets used in public wifi hotspots like cafes.

Now, in Linux this isn't smart, I know, but in Windows it'd be insane. You'd get hacked in MILLISECONDS in an internet cafe using Windows without a firewall running.

Guess what? I've never gotten hacked.
I've been using Linux since around 2005/2006 and never had a linux virus. I've had about 3 windows viruses in my whole time. HOWEVER, cos of the security of linux I always used it to access sites if I thought they were dodgy, the result being that I think I have had windows viruses on my system that didn't affect me, but did affect windows people that shared my disks/usbs. Thus, in my opinion antivirus in linux is more to protect your windows user friends than you. But as link below suggests.. it's their problem for using a rubbish operating system, not mine.

I never encrypt my hard drive (I see it more likely that I'll have a crash and need to recover the data by booting into a usb live session, than being hacked). I only use a firewall with public wifi or sometimes use firewall and change IP to get around site blocking by wifi provider/work wifi... In terms of security I think main problem now is login for websites (Instagram account once got hacked.. I never used the account and only realised cos friends were liking fotos, yet I hadn't posted any.. photos of women in lingerie - why didn't they recognise it wasn't me :lol: ?)

To expand on these points, this site is good.. also makes points on vulnerability of using Wine, and mono based packages.. https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

majpooper wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:09 pm...
My browser and any app that is internet facing is sandboxed with firejail but in addition I use a few security addons;
IDN Safe (IDN Safe blocks internationalized domain names also known as punycode domains. This helps you to identify them and will prevent you from visiting probable fake sites.
Adblock Plus
Disable WebRTC...
Good suggestions, though uBlock Origin is a lot better than Adblock plus IME, and I'm not sure running 2 ad blockers at the same time increases their efficacy.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:05 am
majpooper wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:09 pm...
Adblock Plus
Disable WebRTC...
Good suggestions, though uBlock Origin is a lot better than Adblock plus IME, and I'm not sure running 2 ad blockers at the same time increases their efficacy.
Yeah - I think that is spot on - actually now that I am using PiHole probably neither is needed. I think it was just habit installing AdBlock Plus I had used it forever so I removed it. THX for the observation

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”