Trusted Platform Module

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dhartman

Trusted Platform Module

Post by dhartman »

I am in the process of a new build an as I'm putting it all together I was wondering if anyone in Linux or any other OS ever uses the trusted platform module! I don't recall anybody talking about it an was wondering if it's even a thing or not! Just curious I Guess :) Thanks for You time
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Trusted Platform Module

Post by Hoser Rob »

This took me 5 seconds with A SEARCH ENGINE:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tr ... orm_Module
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
dhartman

Post by dhartman »

Sorry, I guess I didn't explain myself to well :oops: I know what it is and how to use TPM I was wondering (poll type) if people actually use this hardware,software on his or her system's? As I can't recall it ever being a discussion on this in the forum before!
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

The only time i've ever seen it discussed was when Windows 8 came out and most people on the linux forums suggested it was turned off in the Bios. :)

Google TPM backdoor and you'll see why it was suggested.

*edit*

Example:

Germany warns: You just CAN'T TRUST some Windows 8 PCs
Microsoft: You can still buy an 'insecure' Win 8 machine sans TPM chip

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/2 ... windows_8/
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

dhartman wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 6:50 pm I am in the process of a new build an as I'm putting it all together I was wondering if anyone in Linux or any other OS ever uses the trusted platform module! I don't recall anybody talking about it an was wondering if it's even a thing or not! Just curious I Guess :) Thanks for You time
AMD Ryzen comes equipped with a TPM. Amongst other things, it's useful for making sure that the Linux kernel doesn't run out of random entropy.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

catweazel wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:54 am AMD Ryzen comes equipped with a TPM. Amongst other things, it's useful for making sure that the Linux kernel doesn't run out of random entropy.
AMD promises firmware fixes for security processor bugs

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/03 ... ssor-bugs/
In theory, the PSP is able to keep secrets even from the x86 CPU; this ability is used for the firmware TPM capability, for example. However, the Ryzenfall and Fallout bugs enable an attacker to run untrusted, attacker-controlled code on the PSP. This attacker code can disclose the PSP's secrets, undermining the integrity of the firmware TPM, AMD's encrypted virtual memory, and various other platform features.

The Masterkey bug is worse; the PSP does not properly verify the integrity of its firmware. A system that enabled a malicious firmware to be flashed could have a malicious PSP firmware permanently installed, persisting across reboots.
Maybe when they fix it.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Lucap wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:08 am Maybe when they fix it.
F23f - 8.27 MB - 2018/05/01 - Update AGESA 1.0.0.2a + SMU FW 43.18
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Nice to see AMD prove the experts wrong with a fast patch turn around as it was reckoned that Chimera would take months and be as bad as Intels problems , so one up for them over Intel.
dhartman

Post by dhartman »

Thank You everyone who replied. I guess I'll look into some more an see if,s useful to deploy!
Thx for Your time

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”