Question about an update that just popped up (linux-base 4.5)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rado84

Question about an update that just popped up (linux-base 4.5)

Post by rado84 »

I just got a notice from the updater about an update marked as an orange number 4 and it reads "Linux base" and "Linux base image package version4.5ubuntu~16.04.1". I don't know what that is. Is it something critical to improve performance of Cinnamon and should I install it or not?

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Question about an update that just popped up

Post by catweazel »

rado84 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:56 am "Linux base image package version4.5ubuntu~16.04.1".
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1766728
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/li ... u1~16.04.1

It's a bug fix and should be innocuous.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Question about an update that just popped up

Post by karlchen »

Hello, rado84.

It is safe to install this linux-base update package.

It is even absolutely necessary to install it for all those users who are about to switch from any other kernel series to kernel series 4.15.0-xx on their Mint 18.x. The absence of a current linux-base package was one of the reasons which led to a flood of threads reporting serious probems with kernel 4.15.0-20 on Mint 18.x. Cf. Trouble with 4.15.0-20 kernel

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”