Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager?

Post by lsemmens »

Thread drift (well really a minor deviation) Which is the better for apps in MINT. (i.e. the most stable up to date works like it's supposed to in MINT stuff) Synaptic or Software manager? I'd've considered that it was software manager, because I thought it has been developed for MINT, However, I suspect I am wrong on all of the above.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager?

Post by JerryF »

lsemmens wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:39 pm Thread drift (well really a minor deviation) Which is the better for apps in MINT. (i.e. the most stable up to date works like it's supposed to in MINT stuff) Synaptic or Software manager? I'd've considered that it was software manager, because I thought it has been developed for MINT, However, I suspect I am wrong on all of the above.
I don't think it matters. Both interfaces (Software Manager and Synaptic Manager) get their apps from the same place that is set in your Software Sources.
Last edited by JerryF on Thu May 17, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Other than flatpak being integrated into 18.3+ Software Manager both access the same repos so are equally up to date.

For 'stability' of the application itself I think that Synaptic has a slight edge over the current 18.3 Software Manager.

Other key differences include...

Software Manager in 18.3 is integrated with MintBackup for lists of installed packages - Synaptic is not.

Software Manager has access to reviews (of questionable value) - Synaptic does not.

Software Manager is arguably better for 'idle browsing' of available software.

Synaptic gives fine-grained control over whether or not to install recommended and suggested packages in addition to the main package being installed.

Synaptic gives easy access to changelogs when available.

Synaptic provides detailed information about dependencies and sources of the software (i.e which repo or PPA it's from or whether it's a 'foreign' package (normally a .deb install)

Synaptic provides easy access to a full list of what files a package has actually installed and where those files are in the file system.

Synaptic displays a history of installations / removals / and updates.

Which is best? I don't think there is a straight answer and probably depends on the user's experience level and what task the user needs to undertake.
Last edited by smurphos on Thu May 17, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

In terms of functionality, I find Synaptic much more versatile than Software Manager. Apart from installing/uninstalling packages, it can perform other operations as well, like fixing broken packages, locking a package to an specific version, cleaning the archive etc. All in all, and in accordance with the splendid description by smurphos, I think Synaptic gives the user more control over the package management process.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

It's the appearance:
Software Manager is like a supermarket with many promising special offers everywhere, everything the digital heart desires.
Synaptic Packet Manager in comparison is the big warehouse with endless shelves.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Thank you, gentlemen (I think you are all blokes, if not, I apologise) My thinking was not too far of the mark. Now BOT! :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

smurphos wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:01 am ...
For 'stability' of the application itself I think that Synaptic has a slight edge over the current 18.3 Software Manager.
Can you expound on that? I'm interested in how that would be.
lsemmens wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:15 am Thank you, gentlemen (I think you are all blokes, if not, I apologise) My thinking was not too far of the mark. Now BOT! :D
Yes, male here!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

JerryF wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:45 am
smurphos wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:01 am ...
Can you expound on that? I'm interested in how that would be.
Just a few rare glitches I've experienced with the 18.3 Software Manager - e.g. Installations appearing to 'hang' when they haven't.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

smurphos wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:57 am ...
Just a few rare glitches I've experienced with the 18.3 Software Manager - e.g. Installations appearing to 'hang' when they haven't.
Thanks.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

The only advantage I can see to software manager, in theory anyway, is the reviews. But more experienced users, who write better reviews, usually don't use software manager anymore. Ubuntu is the same. I use Synaptic or the terminal.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

If you are new to linux and computers, I'd tend towards recommending the Software Manager.
If you use flatpaks, I'd tend towards recommending the Software Manager (although you can use the command line).
Everything is trying to look the same these days, like a phone app... google playstore...

I like Synaptic Package Manger. It reminds me of YaST from opeSuSE. I'm not sure if Synaptic officially supports GTK3. If you go to the source page, it says Gtk+ 2.4. They all use the same repository. The things I want to know quickly about a package are easily visible in Synaptic. I turn on the option Settings > Preferences > Appearance > Show package properties in the main window. By the time I'm ready to do an install, I just want to know details about the package that is in the repo. I've done my research online, therefore reviews and editor picks at this stage get in the way.

Nothing beats command line (apt, rpm, pacman) :-)
rado84

Post by rado84 »

Personally, I use both. I use Synaptic for when I know exactly what I need. When I just wanna have a look at all of the available software, I use the Software Manager.
Kyorl

Post by Kyorl »

Since this topic is related to my question, I didn't open a new thread.

I want to install ExifTool on Mint 18.3. Since now I always used the Software Manager and according to previous answers, it should use the same repositories as Synaptic. However, the Software Manager does not show me ExifTool (libimage-exiftool-perl), but Synaptic does. How is this explained? And does it matter for consistency and the mentioned listing of installed software for backup, if I install it via Synaptic?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that Software Manager is simply a list of the Most Popular Programs,
whereas Package Manager AKA synaptic has all programs & lots of dependency files, as well.

so, you could easily find an program in synaptic, that is Not in Software Manager .. ..
- like you just did.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Pierre wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:57 am that Software Manager is simply a list of the Most Popular Programs,
That's only true for the categories in Software Manager, but the search function spans the entire contents of all repositories.

However, to make the results more manageable than they are in Synaptic, only standalone software packages are shown (emphasis on Software in Software Manager). Software Manager will not show you any libraries, development and debug packages, etc. Since libimage-exiftool-perl is a perl module, not standalone software, it gets filtered from the search results (edit: actually reading the description the package also contains a command line tool, I raised an issue with the devs: https://github.com/linuxmint/mintinstall/issues/213).

Here's the full list of what gets filtered for those interested, should be readable enough even for those unfamiliar with python code (filtering is purely based on package name):

Code: Select all

if name.startswith("lib") and not name.startswith(("libreoffice", "librecad")):
            continue
        if name.endswith(":i386") and name != "steam:i386":
            continue
        if name.endswith("-dev"):
            continue
        if name.endswith("-dbg"):
            continue
        if name.endswith("-doc"):
            continue
        if name.endswith("-common"):
            continue
        if name.endswith("-data"):
            continue
        if "-locale-" in name:
            continue
        if "-l10n-" in name:
            continue
        if name.endswith("-dbgsym"):
            continue
        if name.endswith("l10n"):
            continue
        if name.endswith("-perl"):
            continue
Kyorl wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:35 am does it matter for consistency and the mentioned listing of installed software for backup, if I install it via Synaptic?
As mentioned, only packages installed via Software Manager can be handled by mintbackup ("Backup Tool"), but mintbackup is currently broken and overall bad, anyway, there are much better tools out there.
Kyorl

Post by Kyorl »

That's interesting, because as far as I remember I installed ExifTool in 18.2 via the Software Manager and never used Synaptic. Thanks!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Kyorl wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:21 pm That's interesting, because as far as I remember I installed ExifTool in 18.2 via the Software Manager and never used Synaptic. Thanks!
Maybe the other ruby based exiftool (which is listed in Software manager search in 19). Or maybe it's just the list of exclusions has been modified between 18.2 Software Manager and 19. Software Manager had a big revamp between 18.2 and 18.3.
ud6

Post by ud6 »

I use software manager, synaptic and the terminal and would hate to lose any option as they haven't different roles..

If I'm searching for suitable software in the repositories I'll search keywords in Software Manager. I think it explains better the software and sometimes with images. Also, you can search by better categories (eg. 'fonts').

If I am removing software, especially if nongui software/packages, I usually use synaptic as much clearer what is and what is not installed.

If i am installing proprietary software or software outside the repositories, I often just use the terminal. Also provides useful info whilst installing.

Didn't conciously make this decision, just happened. Also,.sometimes software manager seema temperamental and won't start, so I use the other options.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

If you're searching for a software application then use Software Manager to explore what is available.
If you already know the name of the package you are wanting then use Synaptic Package Manager and
be sure to explore the recommended and suggested packages.
Otherwise, fastest is via terminal apt install 'name_of_ package'
without quotes
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”