Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
lsemmens
Level 4
Level 4

Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager?

Post by lsemmens » Wed May 16, 2018 10:39 pm

Thread drift (well really a minor deviation) Which is the better for apps in MINT. (i.e. the most stable up to date works like it's supposed to in MINT stuff) Synaptic or Software manager? I'd've considered that it was software manager, because I thought it has been developed for MINT, However, I suspect I am wrong on all of the above.
Last edited by karlchen on Thu May 17, 2018 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split off from this (related) thread: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=269514
Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 3Gb RAM
Out of my mind - please leave a message

JerryF
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager?

Post by JerryF » Thu May 17, 2018 8:39 am

lsemmens wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:39 pm
Thread drift (well really a minor deviation) Which is the better for apps in MINT. (i.e. the most stable up to date works like it's supposed to in MINT stuff) Synaptic or Software manager? I'd've considered that it was software manager, because I thought it has been developed for MINT, However, I suspect I am wrong on all of the above.
I don't think it matters. Both interfaces (Software Manager and Synaptic Manager) get their apps from the same place that is set in your Software Sources.
Last edited by JerryF on Thu May 17, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line if your problem has been solved. It helps other members.

smurphos
Level 5
Level 5

Post by smurphos » Thu May 17, 2018 9:01 am

Other than flatpak being integrated into 18.3+ Software Manager both access the same repos so are equally up to date.

For 'stability' of the application itself I think that Synaptic has a slight edge over the current 18.3 Software Manager.

Other key differences include...

Software Manager in 18.3 is integrated with MintBackup for lists of installed packages - Synaptic is not.

Software Manager has access to reviews (of questionable value) - Synaptic does not.

Software Manager is arguably better for 'idle browsing' of available software.

Synaptic gives fine-grained control over whether or not to install recommended and suggested packages in addition to the main package being installed.

Synaptic gives easy access to changelogs when available.

Synaptic provides detailed information about dependencies and sources of the software (i.e which repo or PPA it's from or whether it's a 'foreign' package (normally a .deb install)

Synaptic provides easy access to a full list of what files a package has actually installed and where those files are in the file system.

Synaptic displays a history of installations / removals / and updates.

Which is best? I don't think there is a straight answer and probably depends on the user's experience level and what task the user needs to undertake.
Last edited by smurphos on Thu May 17, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marziano
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Marziano » Thu May 17, 2018 9:02 am

In terms of functionality, I find Synaptic much more versatile than Software Manager. Apart from installing/uninstalling packages, it can perform other operations as well, like fixing broken packages, locking a package to an specific version, cleaning the archive etc. All in all, and in accordance with the splendid description by smurphos, I think Synaptic gives the user more control over the package management process.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." -Marx...
Groucho { Marx

absque fenestris
Level 5
Level 5

Post by absque fenestris » Thu May 17, 2018 9:12 am

It's the appearance:
Software Manager is like a supermarket with many promising special offers everywhere, everything the digital heart desires.
Synaptic Packet Manager in comparison is the big warehouse with endless shelves.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)

lsemmens
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lsemmens » Thu May 17, 2018 9:15 am

Thank you, gentlemen (I think you are all blokes, if not, I apologise) My thinking was not too far of the mark. Now BOT! :D
Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

Laptop T4500 Dualcore 3Gb RAM
Out of my mind - please leave a message

JerryF
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JerryF » Thu May 17, 2018 9:45 am

smurphos wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:01 am
For 'stability' of the application itself I think that Synaptic has a slight edge over the current 18.3 Software Manager.
Can you expound on that? I'm interested in how that would be.
lsemmens wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:15 am
Thank you, gentlemen (I think you are all blokes, if not, I apologise) My thinking was not too far of the mark. Now BOT! :D
Yes, male here!
Please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line if your problem has been solved. It helps other members.

smurphos
Level 5
Level 5

Post by smurphos » Thu May 17, 2018 9:57 am

JerryF wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:45 am
smurphos wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:01 am
Can you expound on that? I'm interested in how that would be.
Just a few rare glitches I've experienced with the 18.3 Software Manager - e.g. Installations appearing to 'hang' when they haven't.

JerryF
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JerryF » Thu May 17, 2018 10:08 am

smurphos wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:57 am
Just a few rare glitches I've experienced with the 18.3 Software Manager - e.g. Installations appearing to 'hang' when they haven't.
Thanks.

Hoser Rob
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Hoser Rob » Thu May 17, 2018 11:28 am

The only advantage I can see to software manager, in theory anyway, is the reviews. But more experienced users, who write better reviews, usually don't use software manager anymore. Ubuntu is the same. I use Synaptic or the terminal.

151tom
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 151tom » Sat May 26, 2018 6:35 pm

I'll look through the Software Manager to see what software is available and then use either Synaptic Package Manager or Command Terminal to install or uninstall software.

I find the results the same using any of the options.

lmuserx4849
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lmuserx4849 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:43 pm

If you are new to linux and computers, I'd tend towards recommending the Software Manager.
If you use flatpaks, I'd tend towards recommending the Software Manager (although you can use the command line).
Everything is trying to look the same these days, like a phone app... google playstore...

I like Synaptic Package Manger. It reminds me of YaST from opeSuSE. I'm not sure if Synaptic officially supports GTK3. If you go to the source page, it says Gtk+ 2.4. They all use the same repository. The things I want to know quickly about a package are easily visible in Synaptic. I turn on the option Settings > Preferences > Appearance > Show package properties in the main window. By the time I'm ready to do an install, I just want to know details about the package that is in the repo. I've done my research online, therefore reviews and editor picks at this stage get in the way.

Nothing beats command line (apt, rpm, pacman) :-)

rado84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rado84 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Personally, I use both. I use Synaptic for when I know exactly what I need. When I just wanna have a look at all of the available software, I use the Software Manager.
AsRock B85M Pro4, Core i3-4170, Palit GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, Corsair CX750 PSU, Corsair 32GB DDR3-1600, Corsair Force LE 120GB, WD Caviar Blue + Green = 1.5TB, Chromium, Mint 18.3 Cinnamon x64

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”