New version of Linux Mint (Have you tried it, yet ?) (Solved)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Re: New version of Linux Mint (Have you tried it, yet ?)

Post by mediclaser »

Kilz wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:37 pm
Moem wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:48 am No. I'm in no hurry: 18.3 is working fine. I'm going to wait until it's good and ready. Mint is my OS, not my project... :)
Everyone does what they can. Some people donate money, others contribute in other ways like testing beta releases and reporting bugs.
That encourages me to try it even though I'm afraid to. Does testing it in a VirtualBox count?
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
rado84

Post by rado84 »

Jørn Rudolph wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:48 am Good Friday to you ....

New version of Linux Mint
(Have you tried it, yet ?)

.... I mean : Newer version then 18.3 - Sylvia ....
I have. Already found several bugs all of which I already reported on the Mint blog and one bug I reported here because it applies to all Mint versions in general.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I did install it but have lost interest for now. Mint 18.3 is so solid I will be waiting for awhile
Jørn Rudolph
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jørn Rudolph »

Thank You - Very Much - All Of You ...
Greetings From
Jørn Rudolph
Copenhagen * Denmark
* Linux Mint MATE 18 * Sara * 32 Bit
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

InkedAZ wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:59 pm I've been running it since Friday afternoon and only one issue, the issue with installing .deb files with gdebi. Updated libraries so now ESO looks/plays perfectly with DXVK.
gdebi was fixed in mint 19 with this morning's updates. works ok now.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Of course I will try it - it is like a moth drawn to light in my case. I will play with it on a live USB and/or on my laptop but not on my daily driver and certainly not on my wife's or sister PCs.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

The "live" version of 19 beta seems pretty nice. I haven't installed it, but I am thinking about doing so over the weekend. I just have some random stuff to back up first, but nothing that'll take more than, say, 15 minutes.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
rado84

Post by rado84 »

Portreve wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:32 pm The "live" version of 19 beta seems pretty nice. I haven't installed it, but I am thinking about doing so over the weekend. I just have some random stuff to back up first, but nothing that'll take more than, say, 15 minutes.
The bugs will appear when you install it. The most annoying bug IMO is the one with the slow startup. When the computer starts loading the OS, a whole minute passes before you see the desktop and when you run systemd-analyze, it reads only 15 seconds which isn't true at all.
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

My experience with the xfce version is that it boots and shuts down waaaaayyyy faster than 18.3!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

rado84 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:50 pm The bugs will appear when you install it. The most annoying bug IMO is the one with the slow startup. When the computer starts loading the OS, a whole minute passes before you see the desktop and when you run systemd-analyze, it reads only 15 seconds which isn't true at all.
Well, I've just now installed 19, and I'm not having any issues. If anything, all I can say is that everything seems to be a LOT faster than 18.3, although my boot time is unchanged (just a few seconds to get to the log-in screen, and a couple seconds after that to the desktop.

rado84

Post by rado84 »

Portreve wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:13 am Well, I've just now installed 19, and I'm not having any issues. If anything, all I can say is that everything seems to be a LOT faster than 18.3, although my boot time is unchanged (just a few seconds to get to the log-in screen, and a couple seconds after that to the desktop.
In that case you can consider yourself lucky cuz in my country I'm not the only one with the described problem. Even more experienced users than me told me about the same startup lag I had with 19.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

rado84 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:39 am In that case you can consider yourself lucky cuz in my country I'm not the only one with the described problem. Even more experienced users than me told me about the same startup lag I had with 19.
Did you do a clean install, or an in-place upgrade?

In my case, I wiped my SDD and cleared out my MacBook Pro's (approximate) equivalent to BIOS, which is what I do every time I install a new version of LM or any other OS.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

MintBean wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:01 pm Yeah... I always ignore good sense and install the beta over the previous version on my daily driver as soon as it's available. It hasn't let me down yet, and this time is no different.
Adventurous...

Here goes nothing. I borked my Mint 17.3 trying to load a X-APP and installed a library that is now unremoveable. I no longer work for the Contractor I was working for, and don't need a computer at home for work (don't need one at work, either!) so I'm going to follow your lead and install over the 17.3 installation.

I know I'll run into 'teething problems' but then, this is Mint, not Arch...

Wish me luck! :)
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I decided to do a proper test would involve setting up this beta installation the way I would set up a final release installation. That included installing all the software I would normally use, installing the fonts I would normally install (and I deliberately added in a pile of others), and I changed the icon set being used. I'm really not a fan of the 2D look, though I have not changed the windowing/controls themes as I seem to recall reading somewhere that there were some known glitches with the non-flat ones.

Anyhow, as I said already, this has been a totally smooth and completely enjoyable "upgrade". No issues at all. I love having a newer version of LibreOffice, because I use that every day and so any improvement is welcome.

My printer set up very quickly, prints correctly, yadda yadda... I did (as usual) have to set up using an Ethernet cable and then activate the driver for my wireless card after the fact, but that's ok. The process itself was trivial. Oh, and I love that new initial LM fresh install splash page where you can set up backups, install drivers, etc. Miles and miles (or, if you prefer, kilometers and kilometers) better than anything that's come before.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Up and running!

I haven't yet taken a look at what packages were preinstalled, as I am getting a 'complaint' that the driver for my iP1800 is not installed. No surprise there. So, now I have to dig through the forum to find the instructions someone gave me "Portreive"?) (SP) to install it. I bet I have to load the 32-bit libraries first...

Other than that, so far so good! As my signatures says, all my stuff came back! :wink:

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:35 pm Up and running!

I haven't yet taken a look at what packages were preinstalled, as I am getting a 'complaint' that the driver for my iP1800 is not installed. No surprise there. So, now I have to dig through the forum to find the instructions someone gave me "Portreive"?) (SP) to install it. I bet I have to load the 32-bit libraries first...

Other than that, so far so good! As my signatures says, all my stuff came back! :wink:
Hmm... no, that wasn't me, however much I wish I could claim credit. I did put up directions for how to edit your video settings to try and correct screen tearing on Intel graphics chipset systems, and I did do a kind of boring and lengthy thing on keyboard layouts and shortcuts. Maybe some of that helped you in some way?

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Portreve wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:41 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:35 pm Up and running!

Hmm... no, that wasn't me, however much I wish I could claim credit. I did put up directions for how to edit your video settings to try and correct screen tearing on Intel graphics chipset systems, and I did do a kind of boring and lengthy thing on keyboard layouts and shortcuts. Maybe some of that helped you in some way?
It was someone else who's name began with "P". I found it. Since you have offered so much assistance I just assumed it was you.

Currently in process. After that I try to install all the packages I have become dependent upon. Wish me luck! :D

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Everything running fine; some things are a bit slow. Opening a terminal can sometimes take a few seconds; scrolling in Firefox twitchy, but I attribute that to the nVidia driver (the only one that scrolled smoothly was v. 304...) and some other things take a bit longer to open

Can't get my wonky Canon to print...again. Posted that issue in Hardware Support. It's not a popular printer but it does work very well and I'd like to get it going again. It's a "photo" printer, but not my main photo printer, but it does print FAST!!!

MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:54 pm...so I'm going to follow your lead and install over the 17.3 installation.
You crazy fool! What were you thinking? :wink:

Mint 19 doesn't feel any slower to me, however it does seem to use a few percent more CPU at idle - presumably something inherited from Ubuntu 18.04. I hope they can sort it.

By the way, I thoroughly recommend using Timeshift. I tend to manually run it once before pulling each update from the update manager. It's saved me a bunch of brainache once already after I 'did something stupid.'
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

MintBean wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:34 am
Arch_Enemy wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:54 pm...so I'm going to follow your lead and install over the 17.3 installation.
You crazy fool! What were you thinking? :wink:

Mint 19 doesn't feel any slower to me, however it does seem to use a few percent more CPU at idle - presumably something inherited from Ubuntu 18.04. I hope they can sort it.

By the way, I thoroughly recommend using Timeshift. I tend to manually run it once before pulling each update from the update manager. It's saved me a bunch of brainache once already after I 'did something stupid.'
I saved my best installation to a USB stick with the data I really needed using...er...the other one, so if I get jammed up I can always reinstall from there. Other than the printer not working everything so far is good.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”