Tried Ubuntu 18.04 but I have returned to LinuxMint 18.3

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carum carvi

Tried Ubuntu 18.04 but I have returned to LinuxMint 18.3

Post by carum carvi »

Anxious about the release of the new LinuxMint 19 I thought why not give Ubuntu 18.04 a try?
It certainly is ok, but there are several small things that annoy me in Ubuntu.
Linux Mint 18.3. definitely is more user friendly.

Just simple things as hiding the taskbar can easily be done within seconds in LM but not in Ubuntu. And can be undone in seconds too.
Then there is the stupid seperate taskbar for time and messages. Why? Just eats up space.
Then there is the annoying fact when several firefox windows are opened I have to click one extra time every moment I want to open them. That gets annoying after a while.
Then there is the automated standby time. That is already not very good in LM but is really terrible in Ubuntu. Every time standby is activated I have to enter my password. Why. I am the only one using it.

What was really strange and a bit worrying though, was the fact that during software updates in Ubuntu my password wasnt asked. I had selected automated check ups for the updates. But does that mean that no password is required any more ?

Finally I was very pleased about the newly updated Vlc mediaplayer in Ubuntu. The only real joy of trying Ubuntu. My videos played without a flaw. I hope LM 19 will feature the newly updated Vlc as well. Although I was very happy with Vlc in Ubuntu 18.04 there were several times that my entire pc froze during the use of Vlc in Ubuntu. Had to literally pull the power plug out of the pc.

I am a newbie, so maybe I have overlooked some easy options that make all the complaints above customizable. But I just want to re affirm my affection for LinuxMint 18.3 Nothing can beat it if you are a newbie or just want a user friendly experience. Thanks for all the people who made this great OS possible!

It is said that Linux Mint 19 mostly has structural changes under the hood, and less changes in the graphhic use of the desktop. So I will wait till the final version is released to check it out.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Tried Ubuntu 18.04 but I have returned to LinuxMint 18.3

Post by Pierre »

if you have the bandwidth available, then you could check out LM19 now,
to see if you like it, or not.

the Linux System, unlike some other system, does not force you to upgrade,
if you do not wish to do so.

however, most folks will suggest that you do upgrade, at least periodically, as it suits yourself,
- in order to not let your system get too out-dated & thus at risk from the various issues that exist these days.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, newbie serena.

As you mentioned top panel bar and bottom panel bar, I assume you tried Ubuntu 18.04 Mate desktop. Right?
Ubuntu 18.04 Mate will have a top panel bar and a bottom panel bar by default. Yet, the Mate Tweak application permits to select different themes and screen layouts. Not all of them will use two horizontal panels.
Ubuntu 18.04 xfce desktop (Xubuntu 18.04) e.g. uses a top panel bar only, as opposed to Mint xfce desktop, which uses a bottom panel bar only by default.

~~~
A note on potential version confusion (for those who are not aware, yet):
Mint 18.3 is based on Ubuntu 16.04, not on Ubuntu 18.04.
Mint 19 beta is based on Ubuntu 18.04.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Ubuntu 18.04 with the dash-to-panel extension ( and choose the ungroup option ) would have given you a classic desktop with a separate taskbar icon for each open application or firefox window.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Lucap, thanks for the tip. This dash to panel option I must have overlooked while trying Ubuntu 18.04, unless it has to be seperately downloaded. I must confess that I dont know which version of the new Ubuntu I have used. Not Xfce anyways. Leaves Mate or Cinnamon...?

Karlchen, you gave a good tip that Xfce only has 1 taskbar, but I dont like the feel and look of Xfce. Always have preferred Cinnamon.

Recently remembered 2 other complaints about Ubuntu 18.04

One is the lack of many options in Ubuntu 18.04 when I right click on my mouse. There are some, but much less than in LinuxMint.
The other one is the dispersion of settings. Yes there is one button for settings, but there are still lots of other settings which can only be adjusted in different places. LinuxMint has everything neatly packaged in one place.

Furthermore my installation live DVD for Ubuntu 18.04 gave an error message at startup that an irq handler for a certain vector could not be found and another error message that it could not find/resolve a named packaged element.

I will gladly try out the new LM 19, but I read somewhere that the best time to start with a new OS is when the .1 version has been released, to avoid several smaller bugs that havent been discovered yet. Well I'll try it anyway. Very curious about the look and feel of the new LM 19
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

rado84

Post by rado84 »

Pierre wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:04 am the Linux System, unlike some other system, does not force you to upgrade, if you do not wish to do so.
That's one of the things I like about Linux in general. The other thing about updating/upgrading I like is that you can choose local sources for maximum download speed - something Windows doesn't provide. All updates of Windows are downloaded from America. For people in North and South America that's somewhat OK but if you're on the other side of the world, this means an endless waiting, especially if the update is several GB.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”