gdebi still broke after update in LM19 Cin Beta (SOLVED)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
glasscapt
Level 1
Level 1

gdebi still broke after update in LM19 Cin Beta (SOLVED)

Post by glasscapt »

I'm using the beta on an alternate machine. I ran updates today and the gdebi pkg did not fix the broken issue of installing downloaded software. I'm just giving a heads-up. This is just reporting that the update didn't work. Thanks. Included is a link showing a screenshot of the error...
http://susepaste.org/2082913
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: gdebi still broke after update in LM19 Cin Beta

Post by jimallyn »

You're not the first to have this problem. Another user posted:

I got gdebi working by running the file manager as root and then doing ‘install package’. Hope this helps as a workaround.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
glasscapt
Level 1
Level 1

Re: gdebi still broke after update in LM19 Cin Beta (partially SOLVED)

Post by glasscapt »

Jimallyn, thank you for your info.

I performed another update which partially fixed the gdebi pkg, but it still needs fix.
I had to open 'Vivaldi' in the terminal as it did not appear in the Menu / Internet, as it should have done.
I then tried logging out and back in, and then 'Vivaldi' appeared in Menu / Internet, where it belonged. Gdebi should automatically place the newly installed pkg in the proper place in the Menu. Also, it should do so without having to Log Out or Reboot. (This applies to GUI pkgs.)
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Gdebi was fixed in this mornings updates. it now works. sometimes the desktop needs to be refreshed before a programs entry in the menu is registered. You can also always install a program using dpkg in a terminal with this command

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i <full path to .deb package>
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

I see lots of folks using the beta and reporting problems in this forum. Users also report issues on the LM blog --- usually the Announcement. There is git also. I like reading about bugs and fixes :-) Is there an official spot for users to report bugs on the beta?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

The comments section on the blog post that announces your version of the beta is where bugs should be reported.
Reporting here on the forum doesn't do anything useful.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
glasscapt
Level 1
Level 1

Re: gdebi still broke after update in LM19 Cin Beta (SOLVED)

Post by glasscapt »

Thanks. Issue/problem is solved. Gdebi gui worked completely.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”