Nerdy types dismissing Linux Mint.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Nerdy types dismissing Linux Mint.

Post by Arch_Enemy »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:00 am
I highly doubt anybody reasons like that except some bored adolescents.
Or Arch Admins....
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:25 am
Or Arch Admins....
I know that I asked this somewhere, but what is the fascination with Arch, and why is it seen as a "hard distro"? I would think that Slackware would win that title? I never hear about anyone using Slackware any more as well.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:00 am
Or Arch Admins....
I know that I asked this somewhere, but what is the fascination with Arch, and why is it seen as a "hard distro"? I would think that Slackware would win that title? I never hear about anyone using Slackware any more as well.
Arch is probably the mist difficult to install, the most difficult to configure, and the most difficult to get stable.

WHen you DO, you can tweak ANYTHING to you're liking. I managed to get Gnome 2 running on it after it had been abandoned, and before MATE came out, but one of the "rolling updates" borked a couple libraries and I was left with Gnomes dripping all over my desk...

It also has a fantastic repository and another called AUR maintained, I believe, in France. For an example, there is SO much stuff available there for GiMP that it makes Photoshop look like MS Paint.

In a fomer life I was an Operating Systems "expert" at a Help Desk, so for me this was a dream.

Until the 5th update... :x

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Slackware is still around, but with all the good distros out now, who wants to mess with all that? It even makes Arch look easy! :)

whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:50 pm

Or Arch Admins....
Arch is probably the mist difficult to install, the most difficult to configure, and the most difficult to get stable.

WHen you DO, you can tweak ANYTHING to you're liking. I managed to get Gnome 2 running on it after it had been abandoned, and before MATE came out, but one of the "rolling updates" borked a couple libraries and I was left with Gnomes dripping all over my desk...

It also has a fantastic repository and another called AUR maintained, I believe, in France. For an example, there is SO much stuff available there for GiMP that it makes Photoshop look like MS Paint.

In a fomer life I was an Operating Systems "expert" at a Help Desk, so for me this was a dream.

Until the 5th update... :x
Well Manjaro is your friend then. While there were a few times when I couldn't boot into to the system after some updates, I quickly was able to solve those issue by either booting with an older kernel and/or using the LiveMedia to ask questions on their forum. The Manjaro forum is about as friendly as the forum here is.

I'm not dissing Mint at all here. Both distros are suited to different folks and use cases. I'm also considering putting Mint back on my Thinkpad once 19 Xfce is out of beta.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I tried Manjaro on my wife's old laptop and it would not find the wifi, and I had some issues getting used to it, so I went back to Mint LInux XFCE since it was a lower spec'ed machine.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:33 pm I tried Manjaro on my wife's old laptop and it would not find the wifi, and I had some issues getting used to it, so I went back to Mint LInux XFCE since it was a lower spec'ed machine.
That's strange, did you check the AUR for a WiFi driver? Performance of both distros should be about the same.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

whm1974 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:30 pm
MurphCID wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:33 pm I tried Manjaro on my wife's old laptop and it would not find the wifi, and I had some issues getting used to it, so I went back to Mint LInux XFCE since it was a lower spec'ed machine.
That's strange, did you check the AUR for a WiFi driver? Performance of both distros should be about the same.
No I did not, what is an AUR?
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:50 pm
whm1974 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:30 pm That's strange, did you check the AUR for a WiFi driver? Performance of both distros should be about the same.
No I did not, what is an AUR?
The Arch User Repository. You will have to enable it in the Pacmac GUI Software Manager/Updater, but it offers extra applications and drivers.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Thank you for that information.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:51 pm Slackware is still around, but with all the good distros out now, who wants to mess with all that? It even makes Arch look easy! :)
ROTFLMAO! That is funny.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

whm1974 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:09 am
Well Manjaro is your friend then. While there were a few times when I couldn't boot into to the system after some updates, I quickly was able to solve those issue by either booting with an older kernel and/or using the LiveMedia to ask questions on their forum. The Manjaro forum is about as friendly as the forum here is.

I'm not dissing Mint at all here. Both distros are suited to different folks and use cases. I'm also considering putting Mint back on my Thinkpad once 19 Xfce is out of beta.
I have done Manjaro. They have a Stable branch that doesn't incorporate changes that are vetted.

I like Arch, but for every day Mint is my OS.

BTW< I upgraded from 17.3 to 19 beta and the only issues I am having so far is with themes.

whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:01 pm I have done Manjaro. They have a Stable branch that doesn't incorporate changes that are vetted.

I like Arch, but for every day Mint is my OS.

BTW< I upgraded from 17.3 to 19 beta and the only issues I am having so far is with themes.
Yeah I installed Mint 19 Xfce on my Thinkpad T430 yesterday evening and testing it now.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

InkKnife wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:17 amMint is as reliable as a wood burning stove and that is what I want on my computer.
I totally agree. Even for personal use, my computer is a production machine.
Arch_Enemy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:01 pmBTW< I upgraded from 17.3 to 19 beta and the only issues I am having so far is with themes.
I haven't had any technical troubles with themes, but the thing for me (and maybe I'm the problem here) is that I often see how other people have their desktop themed and tricked out, but when I try to do that, it never really seems to turn out as nicely. Invariably within a couple minutes I switch back to the system default ones.

There are some which are just gosh-awful ugly, or just too harsh for me to stand, but even for the "nicer" ones... I really don't understand what it can be that turns me off of all of them. Do you (or anyone else here on LMF) have any ideas, or any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Portreve wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:37 pm
InkKnife wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:17 amMint is as reliable as a wood burning stove and that is what I want on my computer.
I totally agree. Even for personal use, my computer is a production machine.
Arch_Enemy wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:01 pmBTW< I upgraded from 17.3 to 19 beta and the only issues I am having so far is with themes.
I haven't had any technical troubles with themes, but the thing for me (and maybe I'm the problem here) is that I often see how other people have their desktop themed and tricked out, but when I try to do that, it never really seems to turn out as nicely. Invariably within a couple minutes I switch back to the system default ones.

There are some which are just gosh-awful ugly, or just too harsh for me to stand, but even for the "nicer" ones... I really don't understand what it can be that turns me off of all of them. Do you (or anyone else here on LMF) have any ideas, or any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?
Well, I certainly don't! :) A lot of the blue themes turn white...I mean, the whole screen, no separation in any selection "bars" and no deifinition. But then I am trying to use some GTk2 themes and some others that have been 'massaged',, and also I installed over 17.3, so I may have a double whammy working against me. Most of the stock greys and BlackMATE work well, and I have one grey theme I modified slightly and it is working OK.

merlock

Post by merlock »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:50 pm

Or Arch Admins....
I think I would have to say LFS wins that title, hands-down. :wink:
Well, that's the one thing LFS has over every other distro. *You* have to update your own libraries, and doing so can really bork an entire install.
LFS has some great repositories, too: git, bazaar... :lol:

merlock
--
CITIZENS do NOT say "I have nothing to hide!"
OpenPGP preferred. My key: 0xF24B2F77
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Funny I thought about build a LFS distro at one time, but I didn't have a spare computer to do it on. Maybe I'll use my notebook.
merlock

Post by merlock »

whm1974 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:54 pm Funny I thought about build a LFS distro at one time, but I didn't have a spare computer to do it on. Maybe I'll use my notebook.
I (personally) would be leery of attempting an LFS build on a laptop, unless you have a dock with a great cooling fan. Some serious processor power is used when compiling some of the base system (Glib, GCC, kernel, etc.)
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

merlock wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:23 pm
whm1974 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:54 pm Funny I thought about build a LFS distro at one time, but I didn't have a spare computer to do it on. Maybe I'll use my notebook.
I (personally) would be leery of attempting an LFS build on a laptop, unless you have a dock with a great cooling fan. Some serious processor power is used when compiling some of the base system (Glib, GCC, kernel, etc.)
Good point, but I did buy said notebook for testing other distros without messing up my desktop.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

merlock wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:41 pm

LFS has some great repositories, too: git, bazaar... :lol:

merlock
--
CITIZENS do NOT say "I have nothing to hide!"
OpenPGP preferred. My key: 0xF24B2F77
I purposely left out LFS. Definitely the hands-down winner, however.

When I first started if you had any "special" drivers you needed you had to compile the kernel yourself. On a Pentium III....start the process and go have a 7-course dinner and hope you didn't leave something out... :?

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”