Nerdy types dismissing Linux Mint.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Nerdy types dismissing Linux Mint.

Post by whm1974 »

After watch some of Joe Collins's YouTube(and others) I have notice that the more nerdy types, but not all of them have this trend of just dismissing Linux Mint out of hand for not being the latest and greatest and being focused on folks new to Linux. While I'm using Manjaro now, I have used Mint in the past before and didn't have much issue with the Distro. Mainly due to having to mess with PPAs in order to get Netflix and Amazon Video working, but now that just works OOTB now.

To be honest, I am tired of this Elitist Attitude some more advanced users have towards non-tech users and folks who just want a working system without having to tinker around with it. IMHO Mint is well suited to these kinds of folks and with a very friendly users forum that doesn't scream RTFM at people totally new to Linux.

Both Linux Mint and Manjaro have the strong advantage of getting a computer up and running and working OOTB as is, without any hassle.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Nerdy types dismissing Linux Mint.

Post by whm1974 »

Sorry if I don't sound very clear. I had and still have a major headache when I posted this.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I think you were very clear about your intent. From past experience, there are many Linux users on other fora who are quite elitist who have little time for newbies, these, are also those who appear to like living on the bleeding edge of technology, as long as they "understand" it. Mint is a very mature distro with very little in the way of "bleeding" hence, those types will tend to ignore it, much like we tend to ignore Windows or Mac. Mint users, also tend to be more practical in their approach, i.e. the Operating system is a tool you use and the software is an enhancement to that tool to achieve your goal. Mint users (very generally) are happy to play 'round under the hood, but are not like those who must spend every moment tinkering to extract the last ounce of performance out of the system. Think of it like car ownership

Home built Hot rod - Bleeding Edge Linux - constant maintenance
Ferrari - Other Linux Distros - must require regular "expensive" maintenance
local Muscle car - Mint - Driveable but needs attention -
Older family car - Windows - point a to b - sometimes even gets back again, breaks down
Toyota Echo - Mac OS - used to drive to church by a little old lady and NEVER needs anything to do what she wants.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Well, that often happens with stuff that is easy to use so that newcomers can use it too: once someone feels that they, themselves, are no longer a newcomer, they feel that they MUST move on to 'more difficult' versions of whatever-it-is and start looking down on the newcomers.

I've seen it often with motorcycles (yes, I posted that before): many new riders feel that they must get a bigger bike as soon as they possibly can, and make fun of smaller bikes like the one that they got their lessons on. Ironically, the smaller/lighter bikes are easier to ride when you're just starting out but they also have a LOT to teach to riders who are gaining a bit of experience, and many very experienced riders prefer them (and have amazing control over them).

Likewise, Mint is great for very green newcomers, but it's certainly still totally usable in the stage after that and there are plenty of experienced Linux users who still prefer Mint for many reasons.

Mod note:
Not seeing a question in the post, I've moved it to the Chat section. It's a very valid topic for discussion though.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Thanks guys. I myself make every effort to avoid being Elitist and help those who just want a working system to find working solutions. In this regard I consider Mint and Manjaro to be the best distros for this. Although I have heard good things about Linux Lite, I never tried it.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

I'm lazy; I like easy and reliable. I only want to tinker under the hood, when I feel like it. I definitely don't like to be forced to tinker under the hood. Which is why I prefer Mint. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Pjotr on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

whm1974 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:52 am Although I have heard good things about Linux Lite, I never tried it.
I have. It looks nice and polished on the surface, but as soon as you need to do any digging, that polish ends right then and there. And there's a distinct lack of support. Probably simply too few users. I can see myself putting it on older machines for people who only ever use a browser and an office suite... but it's not for me personally. I use my computer for more different things and that's where Mint shines.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Moem wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:01 am
whm1974 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:52 am Although I have heard good things about Linux Lite, I never tried it.
I have. It looks nice and polished on the surface, but as soon as you need to do any digging, that polish ends right then and there. And there's a distinct lack of support. Probably simply too few users. I can see myself putting it on older machines for people who only ever use a browser and an office suite... but it's not for me personally. I use my computer for more different things and that's where Mint shines.
From I heard about it, I didn't think it would be for me either.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

lsemmens wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:54 am ...
Home built Hot rod - Bleeding Edge Linux - constant maintenance
Ferrari - Other Linux Distros - must require regular "expensive" maintenance
local Muscle car - Mint - Driveable but needs attention -
Older family car - Windows - point a to b - sometimes even gets back again, breaks down
Toyota Echo - Mac OS - used to drive to church by a little old lady and NEVER needs anything to do what she wants.
Love the comparison. :)
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

whm1974 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:52 am ...
Although I have heard good things about Linux Lite, I never tried it.
I also tried Linux Lite as Moem did. I think my opinion is tainted about it because I had been using Mint for a while. When I went to try out Lite and then installed it, I immediately thought that it's a 'rip-off' (for lack of a better term) of Mint.
Last edited by JerryF on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I am one of those elitists that only uses OSes that just plain work and don't need to be messed with. Hence, it's Mint for me.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

151tom wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:05 pm Wow you folks make it sound like Linux Mint is the only Linux Distro that works OOTB without any problems.
Well not the only one, Manjaro works well OOTB if you want a rolling release distro, but once in awhile you do have to fix things which fairly easy most of the time. And like Linux Mint, their user forum is friendly as well. It is what I use.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

151tom wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:05 pm Wow you folks make it sound like Linux Mint is the only Linux Distro that works OOTB without any problems.
Nonsense. You've taken one poster's comments and applied them to everyone. Many of us who provide support for Mint here don't use Mint as our daily driver.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

catweazel wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:18 pm
Nonsense. You've taken one poster's comments and applied them to everyone. Many of us who provide support for Mint here don't use Mint as our daily driver.
Using more then one distro at at a time isn't unusual at all among long time Linux users, especially for special use cases like robotics or embedded stuff.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

whm1974 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:12 pm
catweazel wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:18 pm
Using more then one distro at at a time isn't unusual...
You miss the point.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
sikejsudjek

Post by sikejsudjek »

I like tinkering with operating systems, but not if I'm using them for work. Hence having cutting edge distros and stable distros is very useful. I use mint for its stability. Sure beats windows 10 which can be working one moment, and broken with the next update. I no longer use windows for work as its not stable or reliable enough for teaching or sound mixing in a live environment.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

whm1974 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:34 pm After watch some of Joe Collins's YouTube(and others) I have notice that the more nerdy types...
1. With anyone, what is their incentive to do what they are doing ($clicks$ & $eyeballs$).

2. Maybe it was constructive criticism to make things better. Talk is cheap, what are they doing to make things better.

3. Unfortunately controversy, more so than ever, gets eyeballs. Resist.

4. I don't think LM makes any claims to be anything other than what it is. So in my book, they are meeting their stated goals.

5. Don't waste your time, look for another youtube channel to watch. Look for positive people, doing positive things.

What is a "nerdy" person anyway these days. Just because someone knows something in a particular field makes them "nerdy"? Do we call physicians "nerdy", lawyers, my car mechanic is very knowledgeable...

When did focus or "single-minded" become a bad thing. We need to retire this word, "nerdy" :-)

- a person considered to be socially awkward, boring, unstylish, etc.
- an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit

The lovely thing about having confidence in LM as your main system, you can run the other distros in virtual machines (kvm-qemu). There's just one thing, I hope Linux Desktop doesn't become more like MS Windows.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Joe Collins is a massive supporter and promoter of Linux Mint.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”