Nerdy types dismissing Linux Mint.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
7im4pple

Re: Nerdy types dismissing Linux Mint.

Post by 7im4pple »

I'm a chronic distro hopper that when I stay anywhere for awhile I stay on mint. I consider myself pretty bleeding edge also. My second favourite distro is ArchLabs which is quite a few steps from Mint. But....

I can get almost every package I find in Arch in Mint, I use snaps, flatpaks, appimages and debs with no issue.
Mint is close to as configurable as KDE (kde is a little to much in my eyes, but nice)
It works great!...
best tiling I've seen outside of an actual tiling window manager.

It's just awesome in my eyes.

Ever since Mint has had it's little security issues a couple years ago, there have just been a lot of haters born...it is what it is. I personally know mint ROCKS!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

InkKnife wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:17 am Mint is as reliable as a wood burning stove and that is what I want on my computer.
Who in their right mind would want a wood burning stove on their computer?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:53 am I'm lazy; I like easy and reliable. I only want to tinker under the hood, when I feel like it. I definitely don't like to be forced to tinker under the hood. Which is why I prefer Mint. :mrgreen:
So true, the under the hood is always there, and you can play with it to your hearts content if you want to do so. However, I want a distribution that just works. That is all, Just works. Mint fits the bill.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

It just works. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Manager rule is tear it down and make it work better, my rule is if it ain't broke don't fix it.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

HaveaMint wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:32 am Manager rule is tear it down and make it work better, my rule is if it ain't broke don't fix it.
That manager rule is so true.... :lol:

It's what justifies their existence. They don't care if the result of their restructuring makes things worse instead of better; they just see that as an incentive to plan a new restructuring.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Snafu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Snafu »

Who in their right mind would want a wood burning stove on their computer?
Everyone knows that computers are powered by smoke and it is vital that the smoke be kept in. If you ever observe that your computer has sprung a leak and the smoke is escaping you will find that it is impossible to get the smoke back in and that computer will no longer function.
When all else fails follow the instructions
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I don't care who dislikes Mint...nerds or not. I've tried the rest and now I run the best...Mint Cinnamon. :D Some don't know a good thing when they see it...as for Mint being a Linux Distro for Newbies...if that were true then why do so many Newbies have so much trouble. :)
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

bob466 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:24 pm I don't care who dislikes Mint...nerds or not. I've tried the rest and now I run the best...Mint Cinnamon. :D Some don't know a good thing when they see it...as for Mint being a Linux Distro for Newbies...if that were true then why do so many Newbies have so much trouble. :)
Mostly likely due to Linux being totally different then what they are used too.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

catweazel wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:36 amWho in their right mind would want a wood burning stove on their computer?
Well, computers run on smoke, you know, and where do you think that smoke comes from?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jimallyn wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:42 pm
catweazel wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:36 amWho in their right mind would want a wood burning stove on their computer?
Well, computers run on smoke, you know, and where do you think that smoke comes from?
My smoke comes from a pipe :mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
JayKay3OOO

Post by JayKay3OOO »

I think what makes it easy to use is what makes it good. The ui on cinnamon is really easy and no settings are too hidden or in obscure places.

Most people don't care how their car works, but they want a good looking car that does what they need.

Mint makes using not windows easy and I've had people who know nothing about computers get the hang of it and do the tasks they want to do without getting lost and stuck in the operating system.

You can be as technical as you want with mint when you get into the terminal because its Linux underneath.

But then I've done the hard bits with Linux and after work I just want and need an OS that works without needing constant maintenance.

I don't need to use a complicated operating system to prove I'm suprerior to anyone else or to act like I know more about the computers subject than another person who might know far more about another subject than I do.

Their loss though. Mint has been my favourite linux distro for years and I've tried a lot of others.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

JayKay3OOO wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:34 amI don't need to use a complicated operating system to prove I'm suprerior to anyone else or to act like I know more about the computers subject than another person who might know far more about another subject than I do.
I highly doubt anybody reasons like that except some bored adolescents. Most people will use the operating systems that best fits with their needs. Different Linux distros fit better with different needs.

None of the Linux distros are rocket science but sure, some may require some more reading up front than others. With "complicated" operating systems I assume you mean Windows :) Gives me nightmares when visiting family and I get the "can you look at my computer problem?" I don't understand why anybody would willingly use that mess of a system. I've switched gears this year and told them I'm happy to help, right after I install Linux of their choice on their computer :mrgreen:
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

whm1974 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:59 pm
Mostly likely due to Linux being totally different then what they are used too.
There's an easy fix for that...learn...just like everyone else does.

At least Mint isn't forced down peoples throats like evil Microsoft does with that crappy Windows Spyware 10. :D
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

151tom wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:38 pmOH well must keep the Wife happy. :wink:
Install Linux on her computer. She will be unhappy for about 5 minutes.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

151tom wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:38 pm
I find for my computer needs that any of the Linux Distros work great.

I mainly use different Linux Distros just for the different change of user interface so to not become bored.

Yeah I know the feeling and I don't even have to leave my house.

I can't seem to get the Wife to leave Windows 10 OS no matter how many problems seem to happen.

The reason the Wife uses Windows 10 OS is that she simply don't want to learn another OS and refuses to try and learn Linux.

OH well must keep the Wife happy. :wink:
I can't get mine to leave Windows because of iTunes, Turbo Tax, and Microsoft Office. Otherwise she likes my Mint Linux laptop.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

[Will Rogers]
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I guess I'm lucky then... my SO had no problem switching to Debian.
(Well, truth be told, they had been using Open Suse for a few years... :) )

Seriously... let people choose their own OS. Let them use what works for them.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Will Rogers]

[Will Rogers]
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Moem wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:16 am I guess I'm lucky then... my SO had no problem switching to Debian.
(Well, truth be told, they had been using Open Suse for a few years... :) )

Seriously... let people choose their own OS. Let them use what works for them.
Agreed, although switching my dad to Mint saved a lot of tech support questions. He loves the new "Windows XP" computer I gave him.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”