Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Why Linux Mint?

Post by CaptainKirksChair » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:00 pm

Question: Why Linux Mint?
Answer: Windows.

Another 10 round bout with the spouse-unit's computer. Restart-freeze-hard boot-slow-restart-update-restart-update-restart-update...ad infinitum. It was pretty much just a real expensive paperweight all of yesterday. It has Mint 18.3 in a dual boot configuration. Zero issues with that install. So...I second Moem's question:

Why NOT Linux Mint?

smgordon1259
Level 1
Level 1

Post by smgordon1259 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Why not use what the hell you want to use and don't worry what others are using. wouldn't your life be much better without worrying about who is using what?

A simple fix.
ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
AMD FX-4350 (4.2gHz)
MSI GeForce GT730 - 2gb Memory
Linux Mint 19 MATE amd64/ Kernel 4.15.0-23
Team Vulcan DDR3 1600mHz (8gb)
Primary: Seagate 500GB SSHD, Secondary: Seagate 1TB SSHD, Tertiary: Hitachi 750GB HD

sphyrth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sphyrth » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:35 pm

Why Mint over other Distros?
It's a good starting point for beginners like me. Mint's out-of-the-box experience makes it comfy to play around and break your system - that's right, if it breaks it generally means you FORCED it to.

Why Cinnamon?
Flagship Desktop Environment - You can play around with the other DEs anyway.
I have a favorite game. It's on my Youtube Channel.

afineman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by afineman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:57 am

Why Mint???

Well, let me ask you a question, why are there so many different car makers out there. Cars, they all do the same thing they get you from point A to point B and isn't that the most important thing?

Why are there so many different styles of homes? they all do the same thing, they provide shelter.

I understand your question (I too wonder why there are so many) but If I ask myself the above questions I come to realize, different people like different things for different reasons. I like convertibles, my wife likes 4 doors, my wife came from a big home on a small lot of land, we now live in a small home on a very large lot of land. We both see the advantages and dis advantages of our preference

Ubuntu and Linux Mint are the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord of Linux distributions. They look fine, run great and get the job done.
I consider these distributions as daily drivers (I've used both). Arch is like a 1966 Jaguar E-Type (Xke) a sweet and fine performance ride but after you use awhile you need to work on it and some people love this. AnitX is the Smart car of distributions, small, not very powerful, low cost, and in time will get you there and that is OK for some people. I could go on with the analogies but you get my point.

I came to Linux with the end of XP support, I started with Ubuntu and was amazed how well it worked straight out of the box but never warmed up to the desktop, then I found Mint and for "Me" it just felt right. Since then I've test drive MANY, MANY distros (you know test drives) but always came back to the daily driver.

Different strokes for different folks

AFM

srq2625
Level 4
Level 4

Post by srq2625 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:39 pm

First - some background:

I started with LM way back, about the middle of 2013, wanting to get away from Microsoft.

I worked with LM doing photo processing (I was a photography hobbyist, later professional) and was finding the render times from RAW to JPG was taking a bit of time. I looked for alternatives and found SolydXK to be a pleasing distro and, more to the point, rendered JPGs about 20% faster than LM. I still have SolydXK installed on both my laptop and on that of my spouse. About 2 months ago, I installed Debian (Xfce) on my desktop and am fairly happy with it.

But....

Things in my house have changed and I wanted to install a wireless NIC in my desktop. Couldn't find one that Debian would completely support. And, I built another desktop from parts salvaged from other builds for the grand-kids to use and want to use a wireless NIC in that as well. I found one that PROMISED Linux support. Debian does support it, but not 100% - very slow.

So, I started looking around and I have always like LM. So, my first trial install was LM 19 (Cinnamon) and it supported the wireless NIC right out of the box! And, it's almost as fast as the wired connection!

And, since I no longer process/render 2,000 to 3,000 images at a sitting (now the number is usually less then 200), I no longer have need of the fastest JPG rendering possible. So, in short order, all MY computers will be re-installed with LM 19 (can't touch the spouse's as she's comfortable with what she has and it meets her needs).

To answer the why -
  • LM is and, to the best of my knowledge, has always been very stable and useable
  • And there's Timeshift and the safety-net it provides
  • And the tools the distro provides: not bleeding edge, but quite up-to-date
  • The availability of PPAs for those carefully selected one to two tools where the repo version are not quite good enough
  • Most importantly, LM just GETS OUT OF THE WAY and lets me do my work

Portreve
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Portreve » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:50 pm

KuraX wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:40 pm
But what is the purpose of this Distro. It does everything Ubuntu does. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. I run Ubuntu, Mint, Windows in my PC (Actually Laptop. Dont killme pcmasterrace). I always get this feeling that even if Mint is abandoned. I can always switch back to Ubuntu and use the same.
Actually, the distribution which lives underneath all of this is Debian. Without Debian, there would be no Ubuntu (as we know it today) and hence there would be no LinuxMint (as we know it today).

Much of why it is as good as it is comes from Debian's primary focus on stability.
Also, Why Cinnamon Desktop? I am new linux user. I use it a lot for work. But never used it for PC's. I tried multiple DE's. My favorite ones are GNOME and KDE. Why create a new DE when there already a bunch of good ones out there.
This cannot be answered the way you have asked it. I do not wish to be rude, but you really have no idea about the history of such matters, and instead of doing research, it seems as though you've decided to construct a reality of what you think "must be the case".

Nobody just created Cinnamon (or MATE) out of whole cloth. These are Gnome 2.x derivatives which came about because of a massive rift within the Gnome Project community when the Gnome Project folks decided, unilaterally, to abandon the classic Xerox PARC / Mac OS/OS X / NeXTstep / AmigaOS / etc. etc. desktop UI design metaphor for a much more Apple iOS/Android type UI.

Your implication that Cinnamon's design and release and continued existence is somehow superfluous is fundamentally wrong.
Everything is in hand. With this tapestry... and with patience, there is nothing one cannot achieve.

No hamsters were harmed in the authoring of this post.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”