Why Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KuraX

Why Linux Mint?

Post by KuraX »

I have tried multiple Distro. But I always come back to Linux Mint or Ubuntu. My questions is not whether which is better. But what is the purpose of this Distro. It does everything Ubuntu does. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. I run Ubuntu, Mint, Windows in my PC (Actually Laptop. Dont killme pcmasterrace). I always get this feeling that even if Mint is abandoned. I can always switch back to Ubuntu and use the same.

Also, Why Cinnamon Desktop? I am new linux user. I use it a lot for work. But never used it for PC's. I tried multiple DE's. My favorite ones are GNOME and KDE. Why create a new DE when there already a bunch of good ones out there.

It maybe a stupid question. But "Stupid is what stupid does.".
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Why Linux Mint?

Post by Pjotr »

Mint = Ubuntu LTS with some sensible improvements, mainly (but not exclusively) on the issues of heightening stability and maintaining a predictable traditional user interface. Plus a couple of smart extra tools thrown in. What's not to like? :mrgreen:
Last edited by Pjotr on Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Mint was started by users who didn't like the direction Ubuntu was going or the Unity Desktop. Cinnamon is a modernize version of Gnome 2 as is Mate. Keep in mind not everyone likes KDE or Gnome 3. I prefer Xfce for example.

Mint is also for people who just want a working system without having to fiddle around after installation.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Never really understand questions along the lines of 'x desktop is not my favourite, so why does it exist?'
songhuijohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by songhuijohn »

Linux Mint Cinnamon is the only distribution I have ever used. The reason I did not look at other Linux distributions is because how easy it was for me to move from Windows to Linux Mint Cinnamon. Plus how easy it was to install on a variety of hardware configurations - desktop, laptop, dual boot, old computers, and relatively new computers.
Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon, Mobo MSI A68HM Grenade, AMD A8-7600, 4GIG DDR3 1600, SSD Patriot Blast 120 GB
KuraX

Post by KuraX »

whm1974 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:59 pm Mint is also for people who just want a working system without having to fiddle around after installation.
What you mean by fiddle around? Ubuntu and Mint works just fine with just the defaults. I dont touch settings for normal use ever.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

MintBean wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:19 pm Never really understand questions along the lines of 'x desktop is not my favourite, so why does it exist?'
I find that more people are thinking like that.

If I don't like this or that, then it shouldn't be made. :roll:
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

whm1974 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:59 pm ...
Mint is also for people who just want a working system without having to fiddle around after installation.
I wish I could agree with that statement, but there are so many people in these forums (I'm including myself), who have had to fiddle with Mint to get it working properly.
Last edited by JerryF on Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

It worked properly out of the box, I just like fiddling with it :)
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Moved to Chat about Linux Mint as it is not a support request
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

whm1974 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:59 pm Mint is also for people who just want a working system without having to fiddle around after installation.
Nonsense. If that were true then these forums wouldn't be full of posts asking for assistance.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

catweazel wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:54 pm
Nonsense. If that were true then these forums wouldn't be full of posts asking for assistance.
Why isn't Windows that way with all the manufacturer support they get?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Why Mint, why Cinnamon? Both of them are rather popular, so they apparently fill a need.
I use them because they are the first OS and DE I ran into (when I went looking) that immediately felt like something I could use. They felt understandable and friendly to me, as a newcomer. And I had no reason not to use them.
Someone wanted to make them. Many people want to use them.

So, here's another question: why not Linux Mint? Why not Cinnamon?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Why not Ubuntu 18.04?
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

+1!!!

Mint is the ONLY Linux distro that has worked on everything I've thrown at it without a lot of playing around "under the hood". Even Windows would not do that for me. The reason that there are so many support requests here is that this is the MINT forum, as opposed to hundreds of Windows help fora. My observation is that many people who have migrated to Linux, mint in particular, are those who do like to push the envelope with what they want their computer to do. They also want a stable environment that recovers well when something goes wrong. Most, if not all, have discovered that the M$ product cannot perform as well as a good Linux distro can, nor does the M$ product allow the customisation options that most Linux Distros can.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Agreed, anyone who thinks any Linux distro "just works" knows absolutely nothing about Linux.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

lsemmens wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:04 am ...
My observation is that many people who have migrated to Linux, mint in particular, are those who do like to push the envelope with what they want their computer to do.
Well, I find just the opposite. Most people (and I include myself) are/were just trying to get their hardware recognized such as getting their printer or scanner working. I wouldn't consider that "pushing the envelope".
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:24 am
Agreed, anyone who thinks any Linux distro "just works" knows absolutely nothing about Linux.
I've been using Linux for a long time and I'm well aware of the issues Linux has faced. So far in my experience both Mint and Manjaro are easy to get a working and usable system up and running quickly. Yes you will have to do a few treats here and there, but that is true or any OS you use.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

whm1974 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:54 am I've been using Linux for a long time and I'm well aware of the issues Linux has faced. So far in my experience both Mint and Manjaro are easy to get a working and usable system up and running quickly. Yes you will have to do a few treats here and there, but that is true or any OS you use.
As much as I despise Windows now, I have to say that it was rare that I had to "do a few treats here and there" to get my attached hardware working out of the box while using Windows. Companies have been providing Windows software for decades to get hardware working.

In Linux, I've had to more than just "do a few treats here and there" to get some hardware working. Luckily, I've had help from the forums and using some intuition to get things solved.

But overall...I'm loving Linux Mint much more than Windows now!
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Question: Why Linux Mint?
Answer: Windows.

Another 10 round bout with the spouse-unit's computer. Restart-freeze-hard boot-slow-restart-update-restart-update-restart-update...ad infinitum. It was pretty much just a real expensive paperweight all of yesterday. It has Mint 18.3 in a dual boot configuration. Zero issues with that install. So...I second Moem's question:

Why NOT Linux Mint?

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”